News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Right now I'm listening to...

Started by bacchist, September 03, 2006, 09:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBL

https://pitchfork.com/news/phantogram-share-sparklehorse-cover-new-song-listen/

QuotePhantogram have shared a new song, "Someday." It's part of a two-track benefit single, along with their cover of Sparklehorse's "Saturday." Listen to both songs below. All proceeds from the single will go towards the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP).

Phantogram's Sarah Barthel previously spoke to the AFSP about losing her sister, Becky, who died by suicide while Phantogram were in the process of making their last album: 2016's Three. "Almost all of the songs on Three are inspired or were changed in some way by Becky's death," she said in an interview.

If this is love, I'm never going home..

anthrax

Quote from: gah on May 23, 2018, 10:33:40 AM
Quote from: anthrax on May 22, 2018, 08:43:02 PM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on May 19, 2018, 10:15:59 PM
Quote from: anthrax on May 18, 2018, 09:25:45 PM
sunshine of your feeling.  gotta be a top 5 3.0 moment, right??

Bakers Dozen is chocked full of those imo.

yeah, i guess i just got a little excited.  there are at least 6 of those moments in just the baker's dozen run alone.  which i guess doesn't really make them top 5.  man, that run was amazing.

tell that to antelope!  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

dude has been shitting on that run for weeks now privately. and yeah, I'm calling you out on it!  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

that is just sad

susep

:phish:
11/06/1998
Kohl Center
Madison, WI

Source:      Schoeps cmc6/mk41 (tapers' section) > Lunatec V2 > Tascam DAP1 @ 48kHz

Clone:       Sony PCM-R300 > Sony PCM-M1 @ 48kHz via Charlie Gubman

Conversion:  Sony PCM-M1 > 7pin/Oade cable/coax > Digigram VXPocket > Soundforge 6.0 (fades in/out/48>44.1 resampling at highest setting - 4 of 4 - with anti-alias filter) > CD Wave > mkwACT v0.97 BETA 1 (shn files have seek tables appended)  **NO DAE**

Notes:       Big thanks to Charlie Gubman for providing the clone.  Transferred and uploaded by Chris Black <chris_melas01@hotmail.com>.  There are also 48kHz FLACs of this seed for archival.

*Dankseed Certification received 2002-03-30*
and posted at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dankseeds/files/ph1998-11-06/
Listening test performed by *5* danksters

positive criteria met:
Tracking- OK
Seamless and complete- OK
Lineage listed- OK

negative criteria met:
DAE- NO
Resampled- NO
Diginoise- NO

Disc One:
Set One
01.  Possum         09:33
02.  Wilson >         06:53
03.  Roggae         07:34
04.  Maze         12:12
05.  Meat         05:28
06.  Sparkle         04:04
07.  Split Open and Melt   14:43
Set Two
08.  Makisupa Policeman      05:54
09.  Funky Bitch      06:59
      Total Time:   73:34
Disc Two:
Set Two Cont'd
01.  Simple >         13:03
02.  Prince Caspian >      10:56
03.  Fluffhead         14:30
04.  HYHU >         02:16
05.  Bike >         06:35
06.  HYHU         02:16
07.  Harry Hood         13:46
08.  Audience         02:44
Encore
09.  Birds of a Feather      06:36
10.  Hello My Baby      01:24
      Total Time:   74:10

Highly underrated version, great ambient spaces in the latter half. 

PIE-GUY

Streaming now: http://smarturl.it/FOABP

Fuck yes this is good shit!

https://www.npr.org/2018/05/17/610959723/first-listen-brownout-fear-of-a-brown-planet

QuoteThe guys in Brownout have done it again.

They have gone to the deep well of uncut funk to produce yet another homage to classic soul that further burnishes their reputation as keepers of the funk flame.

Fear of a Brown Planet is of course a play on Public Enemy's 1990 hip-hop classic Fear of a Black Planet. But while the latter was a sonic explosion of found sounds, iconic hip-hop beats and a flurry of intense rapping, Brownout's Planet is an instrumental soundtrack that is a dip back into the late 1970s, when deep bass grooves, wah wah pedals and horn sections reigned supreme.

What they get right are the subtleties that old-school groove meisters like me recognize as the DNA of the classic sounds from Memphis, Muscle Shoals (Alabama) and Detroit.

For example, "I Don't Wanna Be Called Yo N***a" features a raging guitar solo that calls to mind the underrated playing of Detroit's Dennis Coffey, who put the psychedelic into a string of hits for the Temptations in the early 1970s (among many others).

Brownout also has fun with the whole thing, with titles like "My Uzi Weighs A Ton" which features a synthesizer break that I swear comes from a 1970s TV show. But because I am a child of the '70s (ahem, cough cough) I can't recall which show.

Simplicity was the secret ingredient for the funk grooves that have stood the test of time. Individual virtuosity had no place in a rhythm section of interlocking parts and Brownout employs that musical approach in tracks like "Louder Than A Bomb" in which the two guitar parts complement each other in a call and response tandem.

"Prophets of Rage" bounces along with Tower of Power-like horn parts over a drum beat that could have been sampled but isn't, further testament to the band's dedication to authenticity.

At the end of the day Brownout's dedication to Old School is not necessarily about preserving a musical relic but instead it's more about creating a living, breathing brand of funk that can cross generations.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

mopper_smurf

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

GBL

Buffalo Budd

^^I enjoyed that opening track but was kind of underwhelmed by the album as whole.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mattstick

GBL

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on June 05, 2018, 12:04:20 PM
^^I enjoyed that opening track but was kind of underwhelmed by the album as whole.

Disagree!

gah

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mopper_smurf

From John Coltrane's "Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album". Drops on June 29th.

Vinyl looks nice.

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.