News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Checking My Procedure

Started by nab, October 03, 2006, 09:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nab

Just checking the way I archive, rip, and listen to the music that passes through my computer.  It should be noted that these procedures are with maximum quality and tradability in mind.  I figure that some of you are the most anal music traders out there, and because of this, you might be able to help me improve my methods a bit.  I aspire to become as anal with my music as my budget allows.  Some specs first: I have an E-Machine with a 160 GB hardrive, a 3.33 Ghz Intel Celeron Processor, and a DVD+RW dual layer drive (40x compatable).

Ripping:

EAC->Wav->Traders Little Helper
-With TLH I, convert to flac (level 6), create flac fingerprint files, and check for SBE (pretty much in that order)

Tagging: Abander Tag Control (I don't change any tags on material I receive that I may intend to trade again)

Archiving:  I burn DVD data discs using Nero 6.6, preserving material in the exact state I received it, including text files, fingerprints (or md5s), and starting today I decided to keep the torrent file as well.

Playing:  I have my computer hooked to my stereo through the earphone jack that the computer speakers hook into.  I also have split this main connection to include the computer speakers as well with a y jack.  This gives me a four speaker set up that I think sounds pretty decent ( I can't wait till I have enough money to obtain a sub-woofer and set up a 6 speaker system).
I use regular old winamp (free version) with plugins that allow for SHN and Flac playback.

Whew...

Now my main questions:

1.  I can't seem to make winamp crossfade between tracks with any consistency or satisfaction.  This is most annoying with my lossless music.  What is the best way to configure Winamp to crossfade seamlessly, or, is there a better free player out there?

2.  When I listen to a Flac file I notice a difference in the Kbps that are played back as opposed to a WAV or SHN file (which play back at higher bitrates).  Is it worth the time to decode flacs before listening?

3.  When archiving, how do you guys keep track of specific show information that you have so you can quickly know if you can help someone out (not just with a specific date, but maybe a specific source as well). 

That's about it for now (I'm sure I'll think of some more later).  Any feedback is appreciated.

sophist

Quote1.  I can't seem to make winamp crossfade between tracks with any consistency or satisfaction.  This is most annoying with my lossless music.  What is the best way to configure Winamp to crossfade seamlessly, or, is there a better free player out there?
DL itunes, it has seamless playback and will sound better.  It is also free.
Quote2.  When I listen to a Flac file I notice a difference in the Kbps that are played back as opposed to a WAV or SHN file (which play back at higher bitrates).  Is it worth the time to decode flacs before listening?
In my expert, anal opinion, yes.  the higher bit rate sounds better and has more depth imo.  I run a digital cable out of my PC (and my notebook also, I have 2 different systems set up) through the line out jack.  It sounds better anbd allows me to use the PC speakers as well, which creates a 8 speaker system for my desktop.  I have the PC speakers adjacent to my PC.  The sub woofer sits behind me.  The remaining speakers are positioned around my room.  As for converting to WAV, I think it makes a difference. 

Quote3.  When archiving, how do you guys keep track of specific show information that you have so you can quickly know if you can help someone out (not just with a specific date, but maybe a specific source as well).
I use microsoft access (database application).  I keep track of the band, show, source, circulation date, format, personel notes I made regarding the show's quality, DB.etree.org. link, orignal torrent link or Snail mail source. 

Hello, my name is phan and I have a organizational problem.
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

tet

Quote from: phan003 on October 03, 2006, 10:03:17 PM
Quote1.  I can't seem to make winamp crossfade between tracks with any consistency or satisfaction.  This is most annoying with my lossless music.  What is the best way to configure Winamp to crossfade seamlessly, or, is there a better free player out there?
DL itunes, it has seamless playback and will sound better.  It is also free.

While I would normally agree in recommending iTunes, it does not play lossless files other than WAV, AIFF, and Apple Lossless.  Therefore, his need for a solution to play FLAC/SHN files seamlessly will not be satiated...
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

sophist

I understand that.  I also recommended converting to wav. thus itunes would suffice.
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

tet

heh, and use up 40% more disk space?  even i, the Apple nut of the place, wouldn't do that just to use iTunes...
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

jephrey

First off, for your own stuff it's okay, but don't expect to trade the EAC'd files.  You should be trading the source that is in the database.  True, there are EAC'd sources out there, but usually only when that's the only thing available.  So for stuff you rip and convert to a lossless type, you really don't need any fingerprint file or anything.  At that point, since they won't be traded, go ahead ond use apple lossless and itunes.  

Since I don't have the equipment to do transfers, and don't have any discs that don't exist, i just store what I download right away, and in all honesty, that's what everyone should do.  That's the one step and the best way in the future to give back.  Just burn that download right to disc.

Then what you do with what you downloaded is up to you.  Encode to whatever you want, use whatever program you like best (which I know is iTunes :wink:), and be happy.  I'm anal and encode them all to apple lossless after modifying the text file and renaming the files and setting their tags in iTunes.  Then I burn the tours in chronological order.

I keep a list in Filemaker, but used excel previously.  It has the source and what disc it's archived on, the setlist, notes, and a few other things to track where I am on certain projects with the music.

But really, do whatever you want and let us know how it turns out.  It's good to know what works for people.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

nab

Thanks for all the advice.  I don't know why I didn't think of Microsoft Access, we use it in the Anthropology dept. at school to catalogue artifacts.  I have always been a little suspicious of itunes, mostly because of the restrictions that friends of mine have found when trying to play back music on their i-pods.  I use a Sandisk m250 2GB mp3 player, although, buying a new portable player that can play flac files is, yet, another investment on the horizon (and another opprotunity to practice my negotiating skills with the wife).  Then I will be done with mp3 forever.

Quote from: jephrey on October 03, 2006, 10:54:06 PM
First off, for your own stuff it's okay, but don't expect to trade the EAC'd files.  You should be trading the source that is in the database.  True, there are EAC'd sources out there, but usually only when that's the only thing available.  So for stuff you rip and convert to a lossless type, you really don't need any fingerprint file or anything.  At that point, since they won't be traded, go ahead ond use apple lossless and itunes. 

I got called out on this pertaining to some advice I gave yesterday. http://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,4197.15.html

Upon further review, I totally agree.  I now save everything just how I received it, BEFORE I do any conversion to suit my system/players/etc.  Ultimately it is this archive that I will be keeping track of.  Thanks again for all the advice.  If anyone else has anything to add, I'm all ears.

sophist

^ we would of given you shit anyway  :wink:  :evil:

all new paugers get hazed,
watch out for aug he likes to spank peeps and listen to BBFCFM while spanking

mattstick

You should figure out a way to do an A/B test of FLAC playback vs. WAV playback, I really don't think there will be a noticeable difference.

Also, why are you guys adding extra speakers for your playback?  You only have 2 ears, and the more speakers you have the more likely you are to be creating some form of phasing/time smear issues.

rowjimmy

Flac playback, seamless, free, and independent of any major corporation (winamp is owned by aol): http://www.foobar2000.org/
Then, go here http://foosion.foobar2000.org/0.9/ and get the "stable components package" which is a bundle of plugins for foobar that includes a stellar plugin that simplifies tagging flacs for live shows (given a txt file that is formatted reasonably.)

It's not fancy looking but you want to play flacs not look at them, right?

jephrey

I think the more speakers is for more volume (as long as the source can power it.  Especially if they're hooked in parallel)  I don't think there's an issue with phasing/smearing in a 20x20 room but I could be wrong.  I suppose it has to do with the acoustics of the room too.  I am sure all the cables will be within a few feet of length with each other too.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

mattstick

Even in a small room, with multiple sets of speakers you could be creating phase cancellation/time smear problems.

PhishJY

The fact that you're even considering phase cancellation/time smear problems tells me that your IQ is way higher than mine.  Therefore, I am going to keep my mouth shut.
Quote from: nab on April 13, 2007, 09:50:05 AM
Honestly though, this whole post whoring thing is getting to be a little ridiculous.  But does having a higher post count make a cooler pauger?

jephrey

QuoteEven in a small room, with multiple sets of speakers you could be creating phase cancellation/time smear problems.

I guess that person would have to consider the volume benefits over the loss of "quality".

I'm curious now, are vehicles subject to that in some way?  Most heads, being only stereo, power 2-3 speakers per channel.  Are the speakers just matched better?  And when you replace say, your rear speakers, are you more subject to problems?

J

mattstick

I'd bet that most car companies have some audio pro look at the position of their speakers - unlike Joe Listener who would just plop 2 (or 4) speakers on a desk and assume everything is gonna be fine.