News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Vinyl

Started by tet, May 03, 2008, 10:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tet

i know we've gotta have some junkies out there, let's hear about your systems and/or collections.

as for me, got my new-to-me Dual 1019 back from the shop nicely repaired and lubed up earlier today, popped a new Shure NE95 stylus into the mounted M95ED, and have had a glorious afternoon and evening enjoying my first audiophile-grade (hey - from 40 years ago, at least) vinyl experience!

it's plugged into a Bellari VP129 tube preamp that has been warm for several hours now, into both my big system and my Grado headphones. never quite heard these old Jerry Garcia albums like this before

sadly some of my Beatles is badly damaged, with lots of hiss on the left channel. guess my folks had a bad needle at one point, oh well.

just paid WAY too much for my first Phish vinyl:  Story of the Ghost

EDITED:  with photos now!

"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

tet

wow, 30 views and no responses?  i'd think there were a FEW of us stuck in analog out there...
-Phish

roggae

here is a reply: n3rd! :mrgreen:
Clearly it's all awful.

Hicks

Yeah, I've got a couple of LPs. . .
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

tet

nice!  what sort of turntable do you use to enjoy those?
-Phish

Hicks

Two 1200s and a Vestax mixer.   8-)
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sls.stormyrider

My first "real" turntable was a Dual 1228. For some reason I replaced it with a B&O when  I got married, about 8 years after I bought the Dual. I think the reason why I wasn't thrilled with the sound was cause of my speakers (which I also replaced the same time) Both are very good, imo. Still have the B&O and am very happy with it. Shure cartridge (?M85 iirc)

I haven't counted or gone through my vinyl collection in a while, but between lbs and I we have several hundred LPs, and probably over 200 additional ones recorded on cass. Haven't actually bought vinyl in a while though. Whenever I pull an old one out thought, there is something special about the sound (except the real old ones, that have various amount of crackling)
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mattstick

OK, I'll play.  Here's the record collection that I live with, and my roommates turntable - a Technics SL-1200MK2, a modern classic.

Please excuse the red electrical tape holding the cartridge together!

tet

so now i own 2/3 of the entire Phish vinyl collection (anyone wanna hook me up with a copy of Lawn Boy?? ;) ), with my sealed copy of Farmhouse arriving earlier this week.  man, i really forgot how beautiful of a recording this is, the first to be done in The Barn... such warmth, such space for the music to move & breathe - i'm loving it!

i also just built a replacement plinth in the past few weeks, it was a lot of work but totally worth it.  here's a pic of the final product, and if anyone's interested, my running posts (with additional pics) of the entire construction process:  http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=166860

-Phish

Hicks

tet

Quote from: Hicks on June 06, 2008, 06:39:34 PM
Audiokarma.org huh?

::registers::

it's an awesome community there.  people are really helpful - hell, thru that site i found a guy in Brooklyn who did total rebuilds of my newly-acquired Duals for a fraction of the cost than the skeevy Russians charged me for a crap job to fix one of em. 
-Phish

Hicks

Quote from: tet on June 06, 2008, 06:44:19 PM
Quote from: Hicks on June 06, 2008, 06:39:34 PM
Audiokarma.org huh?

::registers::

it's an awesome community there.  people are really helpful - hell, thru that site i found a guy in Brooklyn who did total rebuilds of my newly-acquired Duals for a fraction of the cost than the skeevy Russians charged me for a crap job to fix one of em. 

Nice, it's actually part of my job to post on audio boards (how cool is that?) so it's always good to find a new one.  I can only spend so much time pwning n00bs on AVS.   :wink:

VA $l!m

well, i was a vinyl junkie...

started collecting from PLAN 9 records in richmond back ~88.
then continued through a nice period where RowJIm and a bunch of our friends worked in a vinyl store in falls church VA.
hauled those suckers accross the country when i moved to denver.
then hauled them back when i moved to Long Island...
and that was the mistake, i should have left them with my parents in colorado until i was more settled down( not that that would ever happen, but...)

ANyway, when i left LI in a storm of a mess with my EX i left them in storage. and 3 and a half years later i havent seen them since... along with one of my turntables. really f-in bums me out, and i could never start over again.

...BUT! i have recently been talking to my ex again. and she says that she still has everything of mine including my records, so there is still hope.
who knows, maybe i'll get them back, that'd be sweet.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

rowjimmy

Just scored a few new records for Father's Day.
Ryan Adams - Demolition
Mark Ronson - Version
Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings - Naturally

VA $l!m

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 15, 2008, 07:46:46 PM
Just scored a few new records for Father's Day.
Ryan Adams - Demolition
Mark Ronson - Version
Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings - Naturally

i bet that sharon jones sounds sweet on vinyl.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-