News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Soon to be Muslim Congressman Under Fire

Started by sophist, December 04, 2006, 09:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-12-01-muslim-lawmaker_x.htm

If he wants to swear to the Quran, he should have that right.  Fucking morons in this country drive me nuts with their double standards. 

Normally I despise MediaMatters, but the video clip with this article is shocking.  I'm surprised that Beck made such a stupid comment on TV.   
http://mediamatters.org/items/200611150004
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

sls.stormyrider

people who took an oath on the Christian Bible

Mark Foley
Richard Nixon
among countless others who lied, cheated, stole, etc. But the Bible makes it OK?
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sophist

"What idiots.  With Americans like these, it's no wonder that our liberties are on the verge of disappearing."
-Neal Boortz on Ellison Debacle

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

susep

I can't wait to see our first atheist president, what will he/she swear on, the laws of thermodynamics?

sophist

I doubt an atheist will ever be president, middle America(as in the mid-west red states) will never allow it.  Thomas Frank brings up some very good points in his book "Whats the Matter with Kansas?"  He points out how the mid-west states choose to vote values and committ economic suicide as a result of voting for Christian values. 

susep

Quote from: phan003 on December 05, 2006, 12:25:27 PM
I doubt an atheist will ever be president, middle America(as in the mid-west red states) will never allow it.

sad but true :-D

sophist

very sad to me.  It really kills me how the land of free speech/belief (for the most part) is so stubborn in its beliefs (the majority of Americans really are brainwashed zombies). 

susep

sophist

cactusfan

by the way, congresspeople aren't sworn in on any book.
any time you've seen somebody with hand on book, it's merely a ceremonial gesture.

which just makes the whole 'uproar' even more absurd.

tet

durka durka?   :-o

:frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:

did they make Lieberman swear in with his hand over the "Bible" as well?  i'd think he would have objected to that, because even I, as a non religious Jew, would have had a problem with that...
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

sophist

I think they did require Liberman to swear on the bible.

tet

Quote from: phan003 on December 06, 2006, 09:24:08 AM
I think they did require Liberman to swear on the bible.

that's pretty insulting if you ask me...  and i hate organized religion!
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

sls.stormyrider

I suspect Lieberman held his hand over an Old Testament.

the surprising thing here (and personally concerning and embarrasing to me) is apparantly the guy who is making a stink over this is not from the religious right but Jewish. One would hope that a member of a "minority" ( as I am) would be more sensitive to other minorities.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

flow00

Yea, it's distubring that in a country founded on the basic principles of freedom of religion would reject someone with a different faith. But then again, it's just some right-wing zealot bashing a respected Muslim. I find it strange that it was even worthy of news print.