News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Things are happening

Started by jephrey, July 19, 2007, 10:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jephrey

Well, at least there is interest out there...  I'll share my message with this guy, with you guys and please let me know what you think...  His handle is Tenniru if any of you know him...  He is talking about using the templates from wikipedia for the album pages, and needs an "add-on" installed to use some of the code.  My thoughts are mixed on doing this...  It's only what?  10 albums?  Do we need additional SW installed for something that will become mre confusing for the normal user to be able to understand?  I do think it looks nice, but should we stay grassroots?  Should we roll with technology?

Hi,
Q
I've been trying to move a few templates over from Wikipedia to here, but I've hit a roadblock; it doesn't look like ParserFunctions is installed. I'm assuming you're the administrator: could you possibly install it? It'd help a lot.
A
I'll pass this question on to Tet who is behind the actual servers and wikimedia software.  Can you let me know what portions you are trying to work with?  All of us are fairly novice with templates and I don't really know a bit about parserfunctions.
Q
Well, mostly I'm trying to get Album Infobox to work (as you can see, the page for The White Tape is in sorry condition because of the mis-rendered template).
A
Lot of things... 
Is that a copy of wikipedia code?  What's with the categories at the bottom?
If you look at the way we did up a couple other albums (Hoist-Album or Lawn Boy-Album (we decided to append the -Album to all albums in case of matching a song such as Lawn Boy)), you'll see the pseudo-standard (although you're free to suggest changes).  It also appears you are trying to access .jpgs which aren't on this wiki either.
So the page name for The White Tape is...  The White Tape-Album and has the category, Album so it shows up on the [http://wikipaug.net/index.php/Category:Album Category:Album] page.
I don't know if tet's out, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.
Q
Yeah, I was going to fix up the categories and make the images link to something once the template itself worked. (It is a copy of the wikipedia code, which might be why those two weird "non-standard template" and "no coverart" things are showing up.)
Oddly, it seems like my attempts to upload White Tape cover art have met with a server error.
I've moved the page to a correct title, though.
A
Interesting...  I haven't uploaded anything in a while, but I'll see if it was disabled at some point.  Basically, I'm not sure if we want to use that template itself for albums.  I think each album (since there aren't really that many) should just be built from the ground up.  It was kind of the idea for this site to be smaller-scale if you will.  User entered and maintained...  And I like the look of the wikipedia pages, but I think that just writing the code in each page is the best route.  In any case, I'm still trying to get to tet and talk to him about it.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jedifunk

interesting... and cool that others are trying to help out!

but i'd say ixna on the installation.  and you handled it quite well ;)
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

tet

i looked into it, i'm not sure why they are not installed, nor do i know how to install them. 

nor do i know what they do...  :|

if someone can find me some ParserFunctions for dummies manual, i'll gladly make work what he wants to work
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

jephrey

Only thing is we really shouldn't have one person doing this and no novice able to update stuff.  Using templates made for wikipedia might get too involved and push away the casual user.  I do like their pages though, I'm just afraid that only a few people will fully understand how to update those types of pages.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.