News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Political Vids/Images

Started by rowjimmy, March 19, 2008, 03:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

I have a lot of family in the deep South and many of them are very open-minded and liberal (not all, mind you). But this is interesting... makes you think a bit, eh?

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

sophist

Not really.  As a southern man born and raised, racism is pretty fucking prevalent in most Southern cities.  It's not shocking at all to me that yesterday on fb I saw people referring to Obama as "Curious George." 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

fastfingers12

Quote from: sophist on November 08, 2012, 03:32:00 PM
Not really.  As a southern man born and raised, racism is pretty fucking prevalent in most Southern cities.  It's not shocking at all to me that yesterday on fb I saw people referring to Obama as "Curious George."
Some people are nuts. A lot of people that I saw on Facebook were talking about moving to Canada, and referring to our president as the anti-christ... Good greif Charlie Brown! 
That's a hundred nineteen to you and me

emay

Yeah not really a surprise, after living in North Carolina for 4 years. I came to the conclusion that I will never move back to the south and claim that place my home. They just have some backwards non progressive way of life down there.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: PIE-GUY on November 08, 2012, 03:21:46 PM
I have a lot of family in the deep South and many of them are very open-minded and liberal (not all, mind you). But this is interesting... makes you think a bit, eh?

But the map looked basically the same in 2004 and 2000. Clinton picked off some and those states (Carter even more) but that's because they were Southerners. And it was completely reversed before JFK/Johnson when most of the South voted Democrat and African Americans were overwhelmingly Republican.

I'm not saying race is not a factor in the Southern vote today (just look at the mini-riot at Ole Miss), but I don't think the two maps are all that indicative of anything.

ETA: link
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

kellerb

It's no wonder the Civil Wars broke up

antelope19

Quote from: runawayjimbo on November 08, 2012, 03:53:46 PM

But the map looked basically the same in 2004 and 2000. Clinton picked off some and those states (Carter even more) but that's because they were Southerners. And it was completely reversed before JFK/Johnson when most of the South voted Democrat and African Americans were overwhelmingly Republican.

I'm not saying race is not a factor in the Southern vote today (just look at the mini-riot at Ole Miss), but I don't think the two maps are all that indicative of anything.

Mini-riot at Ole Miss?  Are you referring to what happened in the early 60's?  or did I miss something?

Nevermind.  I looked it up.  What a shame......while the south and the rest of the country has made progress, we still have a long way to go. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Guyute

From my walk to work on Wednesday
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

nab

Quote from: antelope19 on November 08, 2012, 04:55:37 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on November 08, 2012, 03:53:46 PM

Mini-riot at Ole Miss?  Are you referring to what happened in the early 60's?  or did I miss something?

Nevermind.  I looked it up.  What a shame......while the south and the rest of the country has made progress, we still have a long way to go.

Try living in my state. 

The state and our 3 electoral college votes went to Romney. 

Yet, we re-elected a democratic senator, and elected a new democratic governor. We also elected a new republican representative.   

Our ballot initiatives were just as crazy.  We opted for stricter med mj regulations but overwhelmingly rejected corporate personhood. We also voted to deny state services to illegal immigrants, to require parental notification for minor abortions, and approved a token anti-Affordable Care Act petition.     

We re-elected a democratic secretary of state, elected a democratic state auditor, a republican attorney general, a democratic superintendent of public instruction, and a democratic clerk of supreme court. 

Elections in flyover country can be dynamic and exciting.         

rowjimmy

barnesy305

mbw

nab

Makes me think that the publisher of these two juxtaposed images believes that false dichotomies substitute for real historical analysis. 

For instance, it gives the impression that a state's official legal stance on slavery in 1846 can be correlated with favoring a republican candidate for president in 2012.  Really?  You don't even have to carry a minor in any social science to understand that  bucket has too many holes to dip water from the well.

Secondly, the juxtaposition assumes that the development of political identity, in states west of the Mississippi, conforms to eastern decisions about the state of slavery in the west in 1846, while ignoring local, regional, and supra-regional history.     

It's a catchy info graphic, but not much more than a pretty picture for those with the same artistic taste as the creator.