News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Computer Station/Entertainment Center/Man Cave ideas

Started by WhatstheUse?, February 04, 2020, 08:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

rowjimmy

ph92

Just so I can put in my $0.02

Media Desktop PC>HDMI>4K TV - TV audio is bypassed straight to my 2 channel receiver. The computer is setup for video streaming from my server, since the audio is not as high quality in this chain, this is not how I stream my music. Personally I'm not super crazy into surround sound so I'm not trying to spend the money so my video has bit-perfect audio output.

Google Chromecast Audio>Toslink (fiber optic)>DAC>Receiver -  I have an app on my phone and computer to stream FLAC/Lossless from my server or Google Play Music (the service I use). The audio quality on the chromecast audio is actually surprisingly good it supports up to bit-perfect 24/96 lossless recordings. So don't sleep on this as an easy way to stream your music. They don't produce the device anymore, but you can find them new on ebay for like 25-30.

Last inputs I have available are USB>DAC>Receiver, or Aux>receiver.

My old way of streaming video was using a Raspberry Pi with Kodi>HDMI>TV. This is a similar setup to a modified Amazon Firestick. Simple, has apps for most all video/audio streaming services, low maintenance, and cheap as fuck. And since I live close I could help by setting it up and installing the software. I would not recommend this for audio, though.

Currently building a new DAC for my system, so hopefully it'll help with some clarity.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

WhatstheUse?

I understood some of that.

Is there a reason to get a receiver over just a dedicated speaker amp if I'm really only playing music from a single source (my computer)? Also... how important is the separate DAC component? I have an audio interface for recording - would that suffice as a DAC/preamp? It's got to at least be better sounding than the headphone jack of my MacBook....

Also - yes, I'm pretty set on sticking with Apple. Still unsure if I want to get the new MacBook Pro and just dock it at home and grab a separate monitor..... or go with a desktop. The iMacs and Mac Minis seem pretty powerful and are both cheaper than the laptop. But... I kinda need a laptop either way for traveling so....

I've hit up Hicks about speakers. Who's my plunger guy?
Bring in the dude!

WhatstheUse?

Also, any recommendations for Hard drives (do I want SSD?) and/or thunderbolt 3 docking stations...
Bring in the dude!

mattstick

A soundbar or generic powered speaker is probably trash in 3-5 years. A good receiver will last you 10-15 years.

Superfreakie

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on February 11, 2020, 12:57:49 PM
Also, any recommendations for Hard drives (do I want SSD?) and/or thunderbolt 3 docking stations...

SSDs are recording some real high failures rates. I'd keep using externals which are fucking dirt cheap right until cloud rental costs are down.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

ph92

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on February 11, 2020, 12:54:27 PM
Is there a reason to get a receiver over just a dedicated speaker amp if I'm really only playing music from a single source (my computer)? Also... how important is the separate DAC component? I have an audio interface for recording - would that suffice as a DAC/preamp? It's got to at least be better sounding than the headphone jack of my MacBook....
If you're only ever using one source, then no. But again, similar to a dedicated DAC, it has the possibility of making your overall sound much better depending on the quality of your power amp.

As far as the DAC goes, I'm not familiar enough with recording equipment to know if their DA is the same circuit as the AD. So I can't speak for what you have. And it's not necessary, but it's definitely going to be leaps and bounds better than your computer's DAC. But if you do some research and find that what you have has a good DAC circuit, it should be fine. I will honesty give it to Apple, though, they tend to use very high end DACs in their devices. And some Macs headphone jack doubles as a Toslink output (fiber optic) which you can get lossless Digital output to a better converter. But the headphone amp is what kills the quality.

Also - yes, I'm pretty set on sticking with Apple. Still unsure if I want to get the new MacBook Pro and just dock it at home and grab a separate monitor..... or go with a desktop. The iMacs and Mac Minis seem pretty powerful and are both cheaper than the laptop. But... I kinda need a laptop either way for traveling so....
I personally love the desktop setup, just more versatile than a dedicated streaming device like an Apple TV. Especially since you're in the apple ecosystem, it's be really easy to share your files in between your devices. Personally I'd suggest a Mac Mini connected to a TV then you can keep your files locally and it'll be the simplest setup and good quality. You can always update your other audio hardware over time.

I will say, monitors suck as TVs (viewing from afar) and TVs suck as monitors (viewing up close). Their actual LCD/LED panels are designed for different viewing angles and distances. I'd suggest against a computer monitor if you plan to have this setup far away from where you will be sitting. Also you can usually find great deals on TVs if you wait. Monitors tend to be very expensive when you get really large screen sizes.

Make America Melt Again!

Superfreakie

Also... how important is the separate DAC component? I have an audio interface for recording - would that suffice as a DAC/preamp? It's got to at least be better sounding than the headphone jack of my MacBook....

DACs can make all the difference in the world if you have a shitty soundcard in your laptop/PC. My Dell XPS - sound was awesome on my audio technicas. But I also have a Surface Book 2 that has a shitty (weak) soundcard - to save space and reduce internal heat - and it is not even worth listening to music on it...
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: mattstick on February 11, 2020, 01:19:10 PM
A soundbar or generic powered speaker is probably trash in 3-5 years. A good receiver will last you 10-15 years.

Right. My plan is to get passive speakers. I was wondering, as far as powering them - is there a reason to get a receiver rather than just an integrated power amp. I don't need radio or to hook up a record player or any other music player - just play music from my computer.

PH92 - I do plan to have a desk setup, and would primarily be working in a close-up situation... so I will probably want a monitor. There's some nice looking LG ones out there. The TV set up, w/ Apple TV is just sort of a seperate thing I'd like to integrate - but my primary area would be a computer desk situation where I'd do my music listening as well...

Bring in the dude!

ph92

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on February 11, 2020, 06:52:07 PM

Right. My plan is to get passive speakers. I was wondering, as far as powering them - is there a reason to get a receiver rather than just an integrated power amp. I don't need radio or to hook up a record player or any other music player - just play music from my computer.

PH92 - I do plan to have a desk setup, and would primarily be working in a close-up situation... so I will probably want a monitor. There's some nice looking LG ones out there. The TV set up, w/ Apple TV is just sort of a seperate thing I'd like to integrate - but my primary area would be a computer desk situation where I'd do my music listening as well...

Yeah, LG makes great panels for sure. In fact, they supply panels to most other monitor manufacturers. They even have those fancy curved LCDs now, too.

And is this desktop setup for your audio as well? Cause if that's the case, a power amp is gonna be perfect. My old desktop setup used to just be Desktop>DAC>Headphone Amp>Headphones. A headphone amp generally only has 1 input and 1 output, so it'd be essentially the same as getting a power amp for passive speakers. If you don't need the extra frills, don't spend the money on them.

The only reason I like a receiver over a straight power amp is the fact that you have analog volume control and some of them have analog EQ, which is better for quality. 
Make America Melt Again!

Caravan2001

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on February 11, 2020, 06:52:07 PM

FWIW, while I do have stereo set-up, I have powered speakers (Event 20/20s) run out of my iMac headphone jack and they sound great.  Any quality near-field monitor will sound good out of Mac.  I have also had Genelecs in the past which are great sounding.  I also power a bunch of ceiling speakers in other rooms from a pretty non-descript power amp out of my Mac and that does well.  I also stream FLACs from my Mac right to my Marantz receiver and towers  and it works really well.  Would probably sound better with an optical connection, but I can still send 24bit over Wifi with Jriver Media Center and it works great.  But yeah, powered speakers out of the Mac can be a simple solution.  I eve have some pretty tiny Rolands that sound good.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: ph92 on February 11, 2020, 07:08:26 PM
And is this desktop setup for your audio as well? Cause if that's the case, a power amp is gonna be perfect. My old desktop setup used to just be Desktop>DAC>Headphone Amp>Headphones. A headphone amp generally only has 1 input and 1 output, so it'd be essentially the same as getting a power amp for passive speakers. If you don't need the extra frills, don't spend the money on them.

The only reason I like a receiver over a straight power amp is the fact that you have analog volume control and some of them have analog EQ, which is better for quality.

Correct. I do 90% of my music listening at my computer desk so that's where the speakers would be. What's a decent DAC run? Seems like quite a wide range in prices, anything you'd suggest?

What is the advantage to having  'analog power control' rather than using the computer level and/or the volume control on the DAC? Don't speaker amps have volume control on them too?
Bring in the dude!

mbw

I have the Sure Plunge at home.  It is powered with a CO2 cartridge. You can clear out a giant shit, than quickly swap it out with N02 cartridge and blast gas straight into your brain at a high velocity.  It's $$

emay

We just got those LG curved ultra wide monitors at work and they are sweet.