News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Netflix Recommendation Thread

Started by McGrupp, June 22, 2011, 08:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

natronzero

Karl Pilkington is the man!
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mistercharlie

Quote from: PGLHAH on January 06, 2015, 06:59:51 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on January 06, 2015, 06:41:04 PM
Quote from: Mr. Natural on December 21, 2014, 11:11:58 PM
New Bill Burr. Tons of great stuff. His bit on Donald Sterling (former owner of the LA Clippers) is classic Burr.

I watched this today. Bill Burr is awesome.

Now we just need a new Louis CK special.

Louis' writing is all headed to his show these days. Hence no new special in a while.

I'm on Louis' e-mail list and received an email today about having to cancel his MSG show, but it did contain this little line:

Quote from: Louis CKAlso I will be contacting you very soon about my new standup special which will be historically available only on my website louisck.net very soon. 
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

fastfingers12

That's a hundred nineteen to you and me

blatboom

Quote from: natronzero on January 25, 2015, 01:02:43 AM

Karl Pilkington is the man!

one of my favorite people in the world. got about 100 XFM radio shows archived which is where Ricky & Steve discovered him some 13 years ago

ytowndan

I'm finally getting around to Portlandia.

This is great.  I can't believe I slept on this for so long.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

mistercharlie

A new Netflix original The Other One: The Long Strange Trip of Bob Weir
QuoteWhile Jerry Garcia became idolized and the face of the Grateful Dead, founding member and guitarist Bob Weir was along for every step of the band's long, strange trip to icon status. Using rare archival concert and behind-the-scenes footage, and interviews with fellow band members, relatives and Weir himself, this documentary chronicles Weir's own wild ride from his initiation into psychedelic drugs to his last days with Garcia.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/80011852?dccid=63092956&dcaid=291193353&dcpid=118416403&mqso=90076873&dcnid=38201&odpRedirect=true
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

zimbra

"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

shoreline99

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

khalpin

khalpin

So, I trust everyone's seen Zombeavers by now  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard (seriously give it a try for the first 5 minutes)....anyway, so I just found out about a site called flicksurfer.com which lists everything available on Netflix streaming and is sortable by Netflix user rating, IMDb rating, Rotten Tomatoes or a combination of the three.  Much better than just browsing the Netflix site.

emay

I wasnt sure if that was a serious recommendation

Mr. Natural

Can we bend this into a Hulu Recommendation Thread, too?
Ok, good.

RISE UP  (2007)

Follows three aspirants vying for a break in the Jamaican music biz. One dude's name is Turbulence the Chaos (urban poor). There's also a farm-girl named Kimoy with an unbelievable voice (rural poor). The third is Ice Anastasia (uptown rich). It follows all three concurrently, as their stories/opportunities unravel. Well-made flick.

WAH DO DEM  (2009)

A millennial Brooklyn hipster [no, keep reading] wins a cruise for two to Jamaica, but his old lady (Norah Jones) dumps him and he winds up going on a soul-searching trip by himself. There was a bit too much set-up time spent on the cruise ship taking him south, imo; but once he hits the island, there's tons of great stuff. He gets some great glimpses into island life. Then the movie wraps up pretty hastily.

We've had a heat wave - 2 weeks over 95 degrees every day - so I've gone Jamaican with my movie viewing. 

We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

Mr. Natural

ALTMAN  (2014)

It's easy to forget how many kickass movies this dude has made.
This is a great doc, especially if you're already a fan. My favorite parts were when they showed the early TV forays his future trademarks, which got him fired (or barred from studio lots), i.e. overlapping dialogue.  Plus, the full length of Gene Shalit's review for POPEYE - ouch!
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit