News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Netflix Recommendation Thread

Started by McGrupp, June 22, 2011, 08:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Quote from: PGLHAH on November 11, 2015, 02:21:20 PM
Quote from: emayPhishyMD on November 11, 2015, 01:49:44 PM
Quote from: ytowndan on November 07, 2015, 12:21:01 AM
I'm four episodes into Master of None, and I'd highly recommend it.  Netflix has another winner here.

yeah im two episodes in, its like Aziz's seinfeld, almost.

entertaining and worth the watch

3rd'd. Great show. I think I'm 6 in now.

Yeah really enjoyed it.   

It would have been nice if they had given Harris Wittles a shout out in the form of an RIP or dedication in the credits. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

PIE-GUY

Harris is listed in the credits as a producer and writer, I think.

Also, check this out....

https://www.facebook.com/azizansari/photos/a.296513517576.177872.27067972576/10153801942137577/?type=3&theater

My dad took off most of his vacation time for the year to act in Master of None. So I'm really relieved this all worked out. Tonight after we did Colbert together he said: "This is all fun and I liked acting in the show, but I really just did it so I could spend more time with you." I almost instantly collapsed into tears at the thought of how much this person cares about me and took care of me and gave me everything to give me the amazing life I have. I felt like a total piece of garbage for all the times I haven't visited my parents and told them I wanted to stay in New York cause I'd get bored in SC. I'm an incredibly lucky person and many of you are as well. Not to beat a dead horse here and sorry if this is cheesy or too sentimental but if your parents are good to you too, just go do something nice for them. I bet they care and love you more than you realize.

I've been overwhelmed by the response to the Parents episode of our show. What's strange is doing that episode and working with my parents has increased the quality of my relationship to my parents IN MY REAL LIFE. In reality, I haven't always had the best, most open relationship with my parents because we are weirdly closed off emotionally sometimes. But we are getting better. And if you have something like that with your family - I urge you to work at it and get better because these are special people in your life and I get terrified when my dad tells me about friends of his, people close to his age, that are having serious health issues, etc. Enjoy and love these people while you can.

Anyway, this show and my experiences with my parents while working on it have been very important in many ways and I thank for you the part you all have played in it.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

Aziz has given personal shout-outs to Harris elsewhere too.

pcr3

Thanks for the rec, guys. Watched the first episode tonight with my wife and will definitely watch more.
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

Hicks

Just saying that considering that it was the last thing he did, I found it odd that there was no acknowledgement beyond the standard credits.   
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mistercharlie

We're halfway through Master of None and I already wish there was more of it too watch.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

justjezmund

Now they drop W/ Bob and David NETFLIX WINS!
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

sophist

I watched all ten of masters of none yesterday.  Very funny.  I really enjoyed it. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

zimbra

I finished Masters of None last week and thought it was hilarious. I hope it continues.
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Mr. Natural

My wife & I have been talking about the difference between 1st-generation immigrants (who often have gnarly hard-luck stories) and 2nd-generation immigrants, who often don't hear about their parents hardships. It started when her brother was talking shit on fb about Syrian refugees. My wife responded with something along the lines of "that's the same shit people used to say to Mom & Dad when they moved here." Her brother was like "Our parents were never vetted," which sent my wife through the roof. (In a nutshell, yes, they very much were.)
We got on this talk about how traumatic experiences often don't get communicated to one's children, who wind up having very little idea what their parents went through. (I've had a few Jewish friends tell me about how their grandparents never spoke about the Holocaust to their parents. It can be a blank patch of their history, as far as their kids are concerned.)

Then we watched the 2nd episode of MASTER OF NONE, where Aziz and his buddy are total lightweights compared to their parents. The parents put up with supershitty hardships, so hard they can't/don't tell Aziz & his friend about them. Then they're wind up feeling bummed when they see how soft their sons are. It fit in with our Syrian refugee / Mexican immigrant conversation.
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

rowjimmy

You guys watch "A Very Murray Christmas" yet?

Bill Murray & Sofia Coppola's take on a classic Christmas special that feels a bit like a sequel to "Lost In Translation".
There are songs, some sincere and some funny. There are comedy bits.
It is brilliant.

zimbra

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 06, 2015, 09:47:05 PM
You guys watch "A Very Murray Christmas" yet?

I saw this the other day.  I'll check it out now since you've recommended. Thanks!
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

ytowndan

Loved the Murray Christmas special.  I too would highly recommend it. 

Also, I've blown through Daredevil and Jessica Jones in the last couple weeks.  Is anyone else digging these Marvel/Netflix series?  Luke Cage is apparently up next, debuting in 2016, with Iron Fist TBA.  Eventually they'll get to a Defenders mini-series.  I really enjoyed the first two, and I'm pumped for more seasons. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

rowjimmy

Still moving slowly through Daredevil and hoping to take up Jessica Jones after that.

Allow to to say again that I loved A Very Murray Christmas.

mattstick

I thought Jessica Jones was cool for a few episodes but didn't bother to finish it.

I dig the Marvel Cinematic Universe crossovers, but tying them into each other with references to the Avengers movies seems a little... cheesy?