News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Netflix Recommendation Thread

Started by McGrupp, June 22, 2011, 08:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but the Bill Burr specials on there are A+++
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Tomapella

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on October 28, 2016, 09:33:05 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned before but the Bill Burr specials on there are A+++

This is true :beers:

Also just started watching Black Mirror. Fucked up and pretty damn brilliant.

antelope19

Bored and looking for something new to watch....Anyone tried "The Killing"?
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

ytowndan

Quote from: antelope19 on December 10, 2016, 10:52:50 PM

I saw the first two seasons, which I thought were great.  The story had a fantastic pace and the writing was excellent (really strong acting all around, too).  I guess they thought the show was getting cancelled so they wrapped up the story in season two.  When they got picked back up for a third, they kinda rebooted the show by starting a new case.  I got a few episodes into it, but I got busy with other stuff and fell out of it.  The few I saw were good.

My only "warning" -- if you can call it that -- is that it's a very dark show, and I mean that both literally and figuratively; not only are all the characters tormented and living rather depressing lives, but I honestly can't remember any scenes featuring sunshine (it's a very grey show...if it isn't raining, it's about to).  So if you're not too bothered by a show with an incredibly bleak tone, then I would very much recommend it. 

Thanks for the reminder!  I think I'm gonna jump back in and try to finish it.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

antelope19

Quote from: ytowndan on December 11, 2016, 01:31:39 AM

I saw the first two seasons, which I thought were great.  The story had a fantastic pace and the writing was excellent (really strong acting all around, too).  I guess they thought the show was getting cancelled so they wrapped up the story in season two.  When they got picked back up for a third, they kinda rebooted the show by starting a new case.  I got a few episodes into it, but I got busy with other stuff and fell out of it.  The few I saw were good.

My only "warning" -- if you can call it that -- is that it's a very dark show, and I mean that both literally and figuratively; not only are all the characters tormented and living rather depressing lives, but I honestly can't remember any scenes featuring sunshine (it's a very grey show...if it isn't raining, it's about to).  So if you're not too bothered by a show with an incredibly bleak tone, then I would very much recommend it. 

Nice! Thanks for the heads up. I look forward to checking this out.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: antelope19 on December 11, 2016, 10:22:30 PM
Quote from: ytowndan on December 11, 2016, 01:31:39 AM

Nice! Thanks for the heads up. I look forward to checking this out.

loved this show.
super dark and a surprising quick but good story line.
super sad it got nixed, but Netflix picked it up for the 4th season that was only 6 episodes, AMC did the first 3 seasons.

enjoy!
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

rowjimmy

I too enjoyed The Killing.
Dark, indeed.

After that, or alternatively, try The Fall.

ytowndan

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 12, 2016, 08:54:18 AM
Dark, indeed.

The Fall is amazing.  I'm one season behind now, though.  Gotta get caught up on that, too.

rowjimmy

Quote from: ytowndan on December 12, 2016, 01:07:39 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on December 12, 2016, 08:54:18 AM
Dark, indeed.

The Fall is amazing.  I'm one season behind now, though.  Gotta get caught up on that, too.

We finished season two recently.
Currently working on The Crown (quite good) and Penny Dreadful (meh).

antelope19

I seem to enjoy the really dark shows the most. Breaking Bad, Dexter, Prison Break, etc.  All favorites of mine.

Really looking forward to starting this with all the strong endorsements. I'll be sure to check out "The Fall too. Thanks

ytowndan

The OA is insane.  It's their new sci-if/drama/thriller that they dropped out of nowhere with little promotion, other than a cryptic trailer.  I just finished episode five and I can't really say anything without spoiling, so I'll just say: watch it! 

rowjimmy

Watched the first two tonight and I agree.

ytowndan

Well, The OA was maybe awesome or maybe terrible...I just can't tell. 

[spoiler]Was she making this all up, or did this all really happen to her?  Did their (possibly nonsensical) "movements" stop the shooter or simply distract him for long enough to give the cafeteria worker time to tackle him?  Also, did I miss something, or did it feel very contrived -- the whole school shooting thing?  It kinda felt like they shoehorned it in at the last minute, giving no hints or reasons for its occurrence.  And if their "movements" do actually accomplish something, did they send OA to another dimension?  Did she die?  What was up with her house-arrest-ankle-bracelet?  I feel like I missed something there, too.

Many of those questions are nearly impossible to answer, I know.  It was intentionally ambiguous, which is fine with me.  (Though, I feel like the ankle bracelet one was something I actually did miss.)  Anyhow, I don't necessarily mind intentionally thin characters (and boy were they thin), designed only to tell a story that never really gets answered perfectly (what an understatement!), as long as the process of telling it makes you question big ideas and issues in a satisfying way that makes the story itself secondary (I can't really think of any TV series that I could use as good example, but Thomas Pynchon novels come to mind).  But I just can't tell if this show did that for me or not.  I suppose I have to sleep on it.[/spoiler]

WhatstheUse?

Binge watched the entire OA season one day last week. I  felt the exact same as you ^

The show lies somewhere between awesome and terrible - I can't decide either. The good was good, but the bad was really bad.

Bring in the dude!

emay

I watched like 4 episodes of the OA and didn't think it wasnt that good so stopped watching it.

Crushed like two seasons of the Killing and thought that was pretty good and entertaining. More twists than I could imagine.