News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Complete Album Listened To?

Started by August, May 21, 2006, 02:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

Quote from: ph92 on August 24, 2017, 09:43:35 AM

you're really digging in... That's some serious 20th Century music. The Penderecki, especially. You gotta be in the right frame of mind to listen to that shit. It's not for the faint of heart.

The Reich is awesome, though. And the Stockhausen is just the right kind of weird... and set the stage for a lot of the Krautrock that I grew to love. 

I love all that shit, honestly. I used to do a radio show in college that was 2 hours a week of Contemporary Concert Music... all of it was vinyl or CD's I took out of the extensive music library at the music school on campus.

Check this one out, too...

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

PIE-GUY

Actually, the original recording is better - just over 10 min vs. 40 minutes... gotta love a piece played by an orchestra that can correctly be played in 10 minutes or 40 minutes or 2 hours if they want and still be played "as written."

ytowndan

I love the Steve Reich piece.  I went through a minimalism/post-minimalism phase last year and came out of it with some new favorites.  I dig a lot of Phillip Glass and Max Richter, too.

I'll have to check out Penderecki.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: ytowndan on August 24, 2017, 10:22:24 AM
I love the Steve Reich piece.  I went through a minimalism/post-minimalism phase last year and came out of it with some new favorites.  I dig a lot of Phillip Glass and Max Richter, too.

The Penderecki will literally drive you mad. Proceed with caution.

And, yes, I love Philip Glass. In fact, I make it a point to watch Koyaanisqatsi at least once a year. Soooooo good.

ph92

Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 24, 2017, 09:56:45 AM
Quote from: ph92 on August 24, 2017, 09:43:35 AM
Steve Reich - Music For 18 Musicians
Penderecki - Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima
Stockhausen - Kontakte

you're really digging in... That's some serious 20th Century music. The Penderecki, especially. You gotta be in the right frame of mind to listen to that shit. It's not for the faint of heart.

The Reich is awesome, though. And the Stockhausen is just the right kind of weird... and set the stage for a lot of the Krautrock that I grew to love. 

I love all that shit, honestly. I used to do a radio show in college that was 2 hours a week of Contemporary Concert Music... all of it was vinyl or CD's I took out of the extensive music library at the music school on campus.

Check this one out, too...

I'll have to pick your brain then!  I'm just starting to really dig into this stuff. Honestly I was reading an interview Richard D James (Aphex Twin) and he was talking about some of his influences. 

And you're not kidding about Penderecki, that shit fucked me up for sure. Good thing I was sitting in bed at home. Other than that I've just been listening to a lot of Choplin, Lizst, and Erik Satie at work to keep things calm. I have always listened to some solo piano compositions. But have not delved into the weird until now. I really dig the Stockhausen, any other recs? Really dig his work since he incorporates big ol modular synths and messing with vocal sampling.

Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 24, 2017, 10:25:15 AM

And, yes, I love Philip Glass. In fact, I make it a point to watch Koyaanisqatsi at least once a year. Soooooo good.
Oh! I have yet to see that movie, I have that and the sequel on a HDD somewhere.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

anthrax

Blues Traveler - Four
Drive-by Truckers - Decoration Day
Manowar - Fighting the World
Johnny Jenkins - Ton Ton Macoute!
Temple of the Dog - self titled

sls.stormyrider

Spun this one in a long time - the delay was much too long. I love this album.

Old and In the Way
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

natronzero

Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 24, 2017, 10:02:37 AM
Actually, the original recording is better - just over 10 min vs. 40 minutes... gotta love a piece played by an orchestra that can correctly be played in 10 minutes or 40 minutes or 2 hours if they want and still be played "as written."

My favorite version
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

GBL

Feels like I have been waiting forever for this album!

The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding

If this is love, I'm never going home..

ytowndan

Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 24, 2017, 10:25:15 AM

I'm listening to the Penderecki now.  Holy fuck!  I see what you mean.  If you were to ask me to imagine the soundtrack to an avant-garde nuclear holocaust film from the late 1970s, this would be it.  I can close my eyes right now and see the slow-motion mushroom clouds.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

GBL

Fantastic review, I really think you nailed the album.  A few nuggets I liked:

QuoteOverall, I can't say that A Deeper Understanding really expands upon or takes The War on Drugs' music to another place, but I do think they have achieved what they set out to accomplish and have reached a new pinnacle. The production on Lost in the Dream was already meticulous, but here they really have taken their craft to its logical endpoint.

QuoteI will also add that this is probably the last time this particular juggernaut will pay off. You can only perfect the marriage of 70s-80s rock with today's techniques for so long and I really don't see the band improving on their execution of this artistic vision. The next time around I think the vast majority of their audience will be hungering for something a little different.

+K

If this is love, I'm never going home..

Hicks

Quote from: GBL on August 31, 2017, 02:41:09 PM
Fantastic review, I really think you nailed the album.  A few nuggets I liked:

QuoteOverall, I can't say that A Deeper Understanding really expands upon or takes The War on Drugs' music to another place, but I do think they have achieved what they set out to accomplish and have reached a new pinnacle. The production on Lost in the Dream was already meticulous, but here they really have taken their craft to its logical endpoint.

QuoteI will also add that this is probably the last time this particular juggernaut will pay off. You can only perfect the marriage of 70s-80s rock with today's techniques for so long and I really don't see the band improving on their execution of this artistic vision. The next time around I think the vast majority of their audience will be hungering for something a little different.

+K

Thanks man!
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

jam>

gah

Quote from: jam> on August 31, 2017, 04:50:27 PM
"dad rock masterpiece"

Yeah, I liked that whole segment in your piece too hicks... and I don't even know the band or the album, but now I want to listen to it, so I'd say that was a solid write up.  :clap:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.