News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Dopapod

Started by DoW, September 28, 2011, 08:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lifeboy

I went ahead and put the entire month of April '15 on my phone. Gonna work my way thru it this week.  :rawk:
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

VDB

Get a load of the Vol 3 #86 from 6/30 of this year, recently released. It's mighty fine.
Is this still Wombat?

VDB

Neil "Fro" Evans is back on drums for Dopapod.

I believe I only caught one show with him at the kit. I *think* I prefer his playing to Scotty Zwang's, but honestly my listening is always skewing so heavily toward new stuff that 98% of what I tune in to is Scotty material.

WTU or anyone else learned enough to weigh in, please do.
Is this still Wombat?

WhatstheUse?

This is such a shocker to me. I'm really curious of why/how it all went down...

As far as the 2 drummers, both are very talented but pretty drastic different playing styles so I think there will be a split wth fans.  Fro is much heavier, rigid, hard hitting 'solid' drummer. Super tight, in the pocket. Lots of heavy Tom fills. Double bass pedal.  Kinda reminds me of the Primus drummer.

Scotty was solid, yet a little more 'flow-y' an jammy. Id say his playing was more intricate and technical overall.

It's really gonna come down to preference. I thought Scotty took the band in a 'looser' direction that I personally liked more, but I think a lot of fans prefer the heavier style.
Bring in the dude!

rowjimmy

Interesting that you mention the Primus drummer.
You may recall that Jay Lane also played with Ratdog... Talk about range.

mistercharlie

Scott, which Primus drummer are you referring to? There's been three main drummers since they hit their stride. Jay "Rhino Boy" Lane (1988-89, & 2010-13), Tim "Herb" Alexander (1989-97, 2003-10 & 2014-present)  and Brian "Brain" Mantia (1997-01). Herb is the one I consider the true Primus drummer, though.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

DoW

I agree that both drummers are different..  it took me a while to get used to Scotty because he was so different than Fro and I liked Fro.  I've seen Fro in various projects since he left Dopapod and always enjoyed what he adds.
I thought Scotty was great too.

I'm fine with type I jamming and staying closer to within the song.  I think their shows are great that way.
I think the transition back will be fine.

although I agree there will be a split with fans on which they prefer, I think a lot of fans see it as a win either way.  both are great and both have served well as Dopapod drummers.

I used to watch this video from time to time and loved it.  fun time at the Stone Church this night (undermind was raging as well).
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

VDB

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on September 07, 2016, 04:51:47 PM
This is such a shocker to me. I'm really curious of why/how it all went down...

My only hope there is that the door had been left open all along for a Fro return, and that Scotty was aware of that.

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on September 07, 2016, 04:51:47 PM
As far as the 2 drummers, both are very talented but pretty drastic different playing styles so I think there will be a split wth fans.  Fro is much heavier, rigid, hard hitting 'solid' drummer. Super tight, in the pocket. Lots of heavy Tom fills. Double bass pedal.  Kinda reminds me of the Primus drummer.

Scotty was solid, yet a little more 'flow-y' an jammy. Id say his playing was more intricate and technical overall.

It's really gonna come down to preference. I thought Scotty took the band in a 'looser' direction that I personally liked more, but I think a lot of fans prefer the heavier style.

I'd say this tracks with my layperson's take. On recordings at least, Scotty can come across as a little snare-heavy and straightforward, but he can also be more sprightly, which is nice.

Quote from: DoW on September 07, 2016, 07:27:17 PM
I'm fine with type I jamming and staying closer to within the song.  I think their shows are great that way.

Are you making a prediction? The band's note talks about "recounting the original chemistry" as an implied reason behind the reunion. But I'd also say they've been getting more adept at improv and I know for a fact that Chuck, at least, has been very much digging that. So I hope this doesn't herald a more play-it-by-the-book approach; I'd hope that everyone in the (new) lineup is clear on what their goals are.
Is this still Wombat?

DoW

Quote from: VDB on September 08, 2016, 12:22:53 PM
Quote from: DoW on September 07, 2016, 07:27:17 PM

Are you making a prediction? The band's note talks about "recounting the original chemistry" as an implied reason behind the reunion. But I'd also say they've been getting more adept at improv and I know for a fact that Chuck, at least, has been very much digging that. So I hope this doesn't herald a more play-it-by-the-book approach; I'd hope that everyone in the (new) lineup is clear on what their goals are.
I don't make predictions.  it's music.  you either enjoy it or you don't.
I don't really get into the whole why people leave or are asked to leave (I have no idea what happened here and don't necessarily care).  I know that I saw Dopapod probably a dozen times before the drummer switch and enjoyed their shows with Fro.
I'm also pretty confident that they know what they want to do and will strive to do it.

I'm not really sure I'd call type I jamming "play-it by the book" but everyone likes different types of music.
Dopapod has definitely has had some good out of the box jams but I'm fine with seeing shows that don't have bands jamming for the sake of jamming.
again, everyone is different.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: mistercharlie on September 07, 2016, 05:54:11 PM
Scott, which Primus drummer are you referring to? There's been three main drummers since they hit their stride. Jay "Rhino Boy" Lane (1988-89, & 2010-13), Tim "Herb" Alexander (1989-97, 2003-10 & 2014-present)  and Brian "Brain" Mantia (1997-01). Herb is the one I consider the true Primus drummer, though.

Uh, yes.
Bring in the dude!

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

VDB

Is this still Wombat?