News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/16 - UIC Pavilion - Chicago, IL - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Mr Minor, August 17, 2011, 01:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marmar

I'd have to agree.....this is prolly the first show where the band Phish showed up.....

Finally shaking off the cobwebs....it's about time boys, it's about g0d damn time!!!

This DwD earns Jam of the Year status from me.....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Marmar on August 20, 2011, 09:49:08 AM
This DwD earns Jam of the Year status from me.....

Agreed. As I said in LST, this DwD puts DTE to shame.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

susep

16Aug.2011 - set II

DwD - Trey drops in near 4:18, Page raging on his keys, Mike letting us know he's present, Trey surfin' the melodic bed, Trey wisely decides to switch it up near 6:45, jam rides Fish's Osaka esque DwD jam beat, Mike adding nice lines, definitely similar to the 21May2000 version, jam evens out near 10:00, industrial into trilly Trey, nice funk near 11:00, nice work by Page, ambient thrust by Page underneath, trippy lines by Trey, again nice sustain by Page, consonant chord hit by Trey, Fish almost sounding Light like at times, steady groove near 14:30 +, Trey chimes in w/ a metal clank riff, Mike feeding off, marching Phish wail(wall), Page adding nice colors, march jam dissolving near 18:00, more No Quarter teases/influence, nice repose by Mike, Page kicking in the ambient thrust, signaling to the band its time to end the song, 2001 like mini build, into

Twist - active version,

BDTNL - already a nostagia tune, it takes more then fancy fretwork to impress this listener.

Theme - more arena rock goodies,

Golden Age - love it but becoming overplayed.

ADITL - nc

YEM - Trey funks in at 10:18, Frampton esque Page, muscular riffage by Trey and Mike, Trey opts to lead in high, Fish sealing the deal w/ the audience, tease???, mostly straight ahead riffage by Trey, Mike/Page and Fish playing great, Trey responds, Trey in solo land, nothing earth shattering here, very much the same, Mike reminding us of his jedi status/

E

Heavy Things - sounds out of key by a 1/2 step?  is this the newer arrangement of HT? 

Slave - personally I'd rather hear a rising ambient jam in something other then Slave; they should throw some type II in this puppy.

RTop - love it.

conclusion:  I liked the jamming in DwD, definitely a collection of a few "jams".  everything else I thought was assembly line Phish.

Gumbo72203

its funny....  because this Disease is so awesome, but so predictable in terms of what it did:  immediately into the jam, Trey starts playing something unusual and out of the ordinary.  Check out the SPAC # Line, the Camden Sand, the Camden '10 Chalkdust, the Camden '09 Tweezer, the Albany Seven Below.......  all of them have this blatantly obvious moment of "okay, now its gonna be big" where Trey plays something different, or continues playing period. 

And then Chris did his "big jam moment" light display, where the stage is black and he has a couple swirling light patterns going over top.  "groove lighting" almost.  Its interesting too, because Fish is the longest to finally open up with his parts....  and only finally really digging into it with the rest of the band around 13-14 mins.  He's the biggest detractor in the big jams, imo....  its not that he's playing back, his playing has just become so straight and linear.  The 6/3 DWD is the same way....  its just one big long straight line, versus.... say, the 12/11/97 Disease, or the 12/16/99 Tweezer, or the 8/10/04 ACDC Bag.

But my god, once this Pay Jorgan segment opens up around 11-12-13 mins in....  holy ostrich testicles.  This is fucking incredible fucking Phish music. 

Pay Jorgan for the win. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Gumbo72203

oh my word....  space envelope alien-sprouts....  15/16 mins.....  holy lord almighty there is a Satan, and he likes Phish too. 

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

qop24

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

jedifunk

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 22, 2011, 11:20:01 PM
its funny....  because this Disease is so awesome, but so predictable in terms of what it did:  immediately into the jam, Trey starts playing something unusual and out of the ordinary.  Check out the SPAC # Line, the Camden Sand, the Camden '10 Chalkdust, the Camden '09 Tweezer, the Albany Seven Below.......  all of them have this blatantly obvious moment of "okay, now its gonna be big" where Trey plays something different, or continues playing period. 

And then Chris did his "big jam moment" light display, where the stage is black and he has a couple swirling light patterns going over top.  "groove lighting" almost.  Its interesting too, because Fish is the longest to finally open up with his parts....  and only finally really digging into it with the rest of the band around 13-14 mins.  He's the biggest detractor in the big jams, imo....  its not that he's playing back, his playing has just become so straight and linear.  The 6/3 DWD is the same way....  its just one big long straight line, versus.... say, the 12/11/97 Disease, or the 12/16/99 Tweezer, or the 8/10/04 ACDC Bag.

But my god, once this Pay Jorgan segment opens up around 11-12-13 mins in....  holy ostrich testicles.  This is fucking incredible fucking Phish music. 

Pay Jorgan for the win.
clearly young one, you haven't been listening to DWD for long enough.  everyone knows that the "make it or break it" moment in DWD is at the 12 min mark (+/- 2 min).  seriously, listen to any DWD, the shift from straight rocker to jammer happens at 12 min.  if they are feeling it they continue and it off to the races.  if they are not, it wraps up within a minute or two.

carry on
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Gumbo72203

Oh yeah, I know this.  This Disease had it happen at like, 7-8 mins tho, which is weird.  Its just like the Camden 10 Chalkdust....  the way Trey switches up is just so blatanly obvious.  Its like "Hey, look, i'm not not on autopilot!!!" and he's playing interesting things that are not standard-fare for the jam they're performing.