News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

05/31 - PNC Bank Arts Center - Holmdel, NJ - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by whatapiper, May 31, 2011, 11:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thatfargone

Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

williaa

Quote from: RabeldyNugs on June 01, 2011, 09:49:37 AM
I think set I had many botched sections with DS obvisouly and also, Punch + Moma was not in the write key for some part of it.  Sand also was just mainly a Trey shredfest if I remember correctly.Tube fun, Roggae always welcome for me and it's been a while since I've seen it.  I remeber seeing that song all time time from 98-00. If life were easy I guess...
Set 2 had a surprise After Midnight and with a fun jam section to it but felt like it hit the 10 min mark and boom, aborted, possum 1st repeat of tour, drowned fun placment (as with r+r in the 1st) and the jam had many layered sections to it and was def more fun than not and Maze never lets up and it always a good maze, Dirt was cool for 1 of the only 2 slow downs at that point with Roggae being the other, but the crowd needed to move again ansd Alaska was not the call for deep in the 2nd set. Just nothing there and YEM to close, about 100 peeps called and we got it and it rocked. d+b part rocked and there you got it.
A lot of covers with r+r, drowned, after midnight, fire but we'll see how it gets with the rain tonight...

This review is spot-on.  I also feel like the flubbed Divided Sky may have ruined Trey's confidence for the rest of the night or at least changed the momentum of the show.  In the same way that a big hit can change the direction of a game in sports.  Not taking the same risks, "hearing footsteps," etc... Same concept.  May be a weird analogy but that's what I felt like happened to this show.

Good music, happy they are back and I will always love them.

Yup!

Sometimes I wonder how some of the people on this board behave during a show... Arms crossed, groaning at every mistake and minute flub and just having a terrible time?  That's what it feels like sometimes.

Gumbo72203

been watching videos on Youtube some dude posted of last nights show.

Here is all of Divided Sky: 

Its actually not THAT bad; you can tell that Trey just had a complete brainfart on the riff.  It happens.  Its an awkward guitar lick to play, its really strangely laid out, and if you don't get it right when the riff is supposed to start, it's hard to get back into it.  Honestly, I'm glad Trey just laid off rather than fumble around and screw up the entire section.  Its cool to hear the rest of the band's parts underneith then, and I thought it was cool hearing the audience singing the line for the 2nd go around.  The jam at the end kinda picked this one back up though, I was suprised how raging it got.

However, so far I've heard the Divided Sky, parts of the Sand jam (WOW!!!!  EVIL NASTY!!!), Rock and Roll (nice peaks, straight raging energy with some sweet Trey licks) and parts of the Drowned jam which I'm listening to now, which sounds really fucking cool so far.  Very patient Trey listening... thematic playing, which is always nice, and comes off very well I feel.  For some reason, Trey seems to sound more like pH Trey in this jam, with the choice of his notes and his phrasing.  Certainly, there are some kind of signature 3.0 moves he busts, but a lot of it reminds me of the 2nd Island Tour Birds which I listened to last night in my car (4/4 Birds > 2001 > Brother). 

Btw, the Drowned jam gets totally SICK when they chill out and Page brings out his sizzly keyboard!!!  (around 2:35 in this video:  )  This is the kind of shit I want to hear more of: chill grooving, with the momentum and forward motion of a rage jam, but as a "chill peak".  The Big Cypress "After Midnight" is the quintessential example of this sort of jamming.

Anyway, I'm REALLY fucking excited to hear Roggae, and the jammed out After Midnight!!!!!

what is with all these abortions people are talking about in After Midnight and Drowned?  I don't understand what thats supposed to imply. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

RabeldyNugs

Quote from: williaa on June 01, 2011, 11:13:14 AM
I think set I had many botched sections with DS obvisouly and also, Punch + Moma was not in the write key for some part of it.  Sand also was just mainly a Trey shredfest if I remember correctly.Tube fun, Roggae always welcome for me and it's been a while since I've seen it.  I remeber seeing that song all time time from 98-00. If life were easy I guess...
Set 2 had a surprise After Midnight and with a fun jam section to it but felt like it hit the 10 min mark and boom, aborted, possum 1st repeat of tour, drowned fun placment (as with r+r in the 1st) and the jam had many layered sections to it and was def more fun than not and Maze never lets up and it always a good maze, Dirt was cool for 1 of the only 2 slow downs at that point with Roggae being the other, but the crowd needed to move again ansd Alaska was not the call for deep in the 2nd set. Just nothing there and YEM to close, about 100 peeps called and we got it and it rocked. d+b part rocked and there you got it.
A lot of covers with r+r, drowned, after midnight, fire but we'll see how it gets with the rain tonight...

This review is spot-on.  I also feel like the flubbed Divided Sky may have ruined Trey's confidence for the rest of the night or at least changed the momentum of the show.  In the same way that a big hit can change the direction of a game in sports.  Not taking the same risks, "hearing footsteps," etc... Same concept.  May be a weird analogy but that's what I felt like happened to this show.

Good music, happy they are back and I will always love them.

Yup!

Sometimes I wonder how some of the people on this board behave during a show... Arms crossed, groaning at every mistake and minute flub and just having a terrible time?  That's what it feels like sometimes.

Yeah Mr. momentum shifted a little bit with the 1st set points but just like you said it happens the other way as well. The ratio might not be what we want it to be but nonetheless.

I bet some peeps are groaning and there are also people smiling and dancing even with the shit, that's the thing, we can all do as we choose and choose whos vibe to be around and make it our own. I've been doing this for almost 17 yrs, and that's part of why I lov'em, it's a nice mix usually...so let the groaners be ( maybe I'm one but I try and hide it to not change the vibe around me) but we move on to the next note and next song and see what we get, that's the best part about it, there's more.
:phish:
I'm dead sober right now, but when I try to read that Gumbo post, I swear to god it feels like I am tripping face.

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/RabeldyNugs

thatfargone

Yeah...many people here know me and will yell ya i thriw the fuck down, always have fun and joke around. Criticism is for after and before shows.

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

mbw

sophist

Wow.  I just watched that video of Div'd Sky.  The cop out of trying to say that's a hard riff is complete fucking fluffer bullshit.  It's a 4/4 pentatonic scale riff, and that's "hard."  LOL.  No, it's not.  Trey fucked up, it got sloppy.  It happens.  Admit it, that sucks.  I haven't heard the rest of the show, so I won't comment on that, but this Div'd Sky is terrible.  TERRIBLE. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

williaa

Quote from: sophist on June 01, 2011, 11:31:55 AM
Trey fucked up, it got sloppy.  It happens.  Admit it, that sucks.

You're bound to fuck up sooner or later.  At least he tried to make it funny.  I am by no means saying it was good, but I had a laugh about it at the show.

They should kill it tonight.  Reminds me of first night of MPP last year and we all remember the next night...

thatfargone

Sophist at this point anyone defending Trey simply has no idea how to play an instrument.

RabeldyNugs

I'm dead sober right now, but when I try to read that Gumbo post, I swear to god it feels like I am tripping face.

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/RabeldyNugs

sophist

Quote from: thatfargone on June 01, 2011, 11:35:21 AM
Sophist at this point anyone defending Trey simply has no idea how to play an instrument.
Gumbo plays guitar though, that's the most baffling part about his apologist stance. 
Quote from: williaa on June 01, 2011, 11:34:54 AM
Quote from: sophist on June 01, 2011, 11:31:55 AM
Trey fucked up, it got sloppy.  It happens.  Admit it, that sucks.

You're bound to fuck up sooner or later.  At least he tried to make it funny.  I am by no means saying it was good, but I had a laugh about it at the show.

They should kill it tonight.  Reminds me of first night of MPP last year and we all remember the next night...
The mistake itself doesn't bother me.  It's the principle of the situation that bothers me. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

thatfargone

Gumbo72203

Wow, Roggae is AWESOME!!!!!  I knew it was going to be good when Trey opens the jam with that perfect bent-note intro lick.  The jam is really fucking good; I love the way Trey actually plays around with the original Roggae jam theme guitar part, which Trey seemed to forget/ignore in all previous 3.0 versions.  A few times towards the end Trey kind of fell back into some 3.0 lickz that kind of were totally out of place, but you could tell it was Trey kind of panicking, not knowing what to play, or just not having anything to contribute.

THe only thing that bugs me, though, is that Trey like...  doesn't play the main verse guitar part correctly.  He like, does it differently, and weirdly, and its like...  I donno.  It sounds weird; the way he accentuates different notes in the chords completely changes the vibe of the song, melodically-speaking.  I donno, some of you may enjoy it; i just find it kind of strange.

The Chalkdust was really good, though; I thought that was excellently played with plenty of sick Trey tension/release jamming.  He ended it a little abruptly when they kind of were setting up one last huge peak, but... oh well. 

Into Sand now....  anyone know who Max is?  Trey seems like...  real serious and stoic about the dedication, as if it was for someone who died or someone who is really sick or something.  This is sounding really good though; Trey is patient and thoughtful with his notes at the start of the jam.  Anyone else notice his changing the vocal inflections during the song, especially the "have myself to blaaame" part?

About halfway through Sand now.... Trey plays some REALLY good stuff around 6 minutes, really thoughtful and thematic playing, actually constructing a musical theme.  Page moves over to the Rhodes, yes!!!  Bridge-pickup jam-ascension lick from Trey at 6:35...  then some interesting stuff from Trey as Page comes in with some serious piano at 7:10.  Tension.....  first low-level turnaround at 7:28.  More tension...outside licks....  Trey pushing the tension, pushing pushing...  turnaround at 8:03.  Trey waking up, bending notes, Page walking up the piano, Trey responding...  kinda missed peak at 8:30, but recovery... full band release at 8:39.  Trey WAILING!!!!!  Holy crap this is cool!!!!!!!  WTF!!!!!  Elephant trumpet sqwawking!!!!  Page piano ascension, Trey pushing the ceiling higher and higher.  Holy shit!!!!  9:23 wildness!!!!!    PAY JORGAN!!!!!!!  HOLY SHIT!!!!!  TENSION TWISTING EVIL SHRED!!!!!!  TENSION  TENSION TENSION!!!!!!!!!    Mike thumpa-dump bump!!!!   Okay now its over. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

MiamiPhish

On a positive note, I thought Trey's shirt was pretty sharp looking.

phil

Quote from: MiamiPhish on June 01, 2011, 12:03:54 PM
On a positive note, I thought Trey's shirt was pretty sharp looking.

Sources indicate he may have borrowed Page's new shirt.

Working on kangfirmation, I'll get back to you with moar deetz.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?