News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

07/03 - Super Ball IX - Watkins Glen, NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by rowjimmy, July 04, 2011, 12:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

2011-07-03
Super Ball IX
Watkins Glen International
Watkins Glen, NY

Set 1: Soul Shakedown Party, AC/DC Bag, The Curtain > Col. Forbin's Ascent* > Fly Famous Mockingbird, Destiny Unbound, Big Black Furry Creature From Mars > Wilson > Mound, A Song I Heard The Ocean Sing, Time Loves A Hero, Reba** > David Bowie

Set 2: Big Balls^, Down With Disease > No Quarter, Party Time, Ghost, Gotta Jibboo > Light, Waves > What's The Use?, Meatstick, Stealing Time For The Faulty Plan

Encore: Star Spangled Banner^^, Trey thanks crew & fans, First Tube~

*Storage Area narration
**with Whistling
^AC/DC cover. Sung by Fish. First Time Played.
^^a capella
~Fireworks

guyforget

most common 3.0 songs not played @ SBIX:

yem, free, r&r, pyite, theme, coil, maze, drowned, taste

tried to be positive all night, but kinda shocked that they ended a festival w/ faulty plan and first tube and without yem or slave particularly...
-AD_

PhishPhan

Quote from: YEMBlogI thought #Phish delivered this weekend. Not epic or mind-blowing but well planned and executed musically

Couldn't agree more. I still wish I could have made it, regardless after hearing the hate. I will be putting 100% of my effort into trying to make it to the next festival.

guyforget

for reference, since this is the last show of the festival to review:

07/01/2011
Super Ball IX
Watkins Glen, NY

Set I:
Possum, Peaches en Regalia, The Moma Dance, Torn and Frayed, NICU, Bathtub Gin, Life on Mars?@,
My Friend My Friend, Wolfman's Brother, Roses are Free, Funky Bitch, Quinn the Eskimo

Set II:
Jam> Crosseyed and Painless -> Chalk Dust Torture, Sand > The Wedge, Mike's Song > Simple*, Bug,
The Horse> Silent In The Morning> Weekapaug Groove, Joy, Character Zero

Encore:
Show of Life

@ Last Time Played 2003-02-15 (175 shows)
* Closing jam included Third Stone From The Sun teases

07/02/2011
Super Ball IX
Watkins Glen, NY

Set One: Tube[3:53], Kill Devil Falls[7:54] > Ocelot[9:22], Lawn Boy[2:31], Divided Sky[15:37], Boogie On Reggae Women[6:37] > Camel Walk[5:25], Cities[5:45] > Poor Heart [2:17] > 46 Days [6:57] > Suskind Hotel^[5:28], When The Circus Comes To Town[4:53], Timber[5:53] > Back On The Train[5:35] > Suzy Greenberg [6:49] > Monkey Man^^[5:25]

Set Two: Runaway Jim[8:44]* > McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters[9:25], Axilla I[3:19] > Birds Of A Feather[7:59], Stash[12:23], Sample in a Jar[4:54], Heavy Things[6:39] > Horn[3:41] > It's Ice[7:52] > The Mango Song[8:10] > Rift[6:02] > Scents and Subtle Sounds[9:39], Run Like An Antelope[10:12]

Set Three: Golden Age[13:49] > Prince Caspian[6:22] > Piper[9:58] > Tweezer[11:04] > Julius [7:15] > Backwards Down The Number Line[7:58] > Twist[11:08] > 2001[4:56] > Harry Hood [12:06] > Cavern[4:20] > Golgi Apparatus[4:50] > A Day In The Life[5:17]

Encore: Loving Cup, Tweeprize

Set Four: USA Storage Jam (Ball Square Jam), Sleeping Monkey

Notes:
This was the second of the three-show Super Ball IX festival.
^Phish debut, original.
^^Phish debut, Rolling Stones.
*Included introductions and trophy awards for the winners of the Runaway Jim 5K.
Simpsons signal after Birds Of A Feather
-AD_

ceevee

This show is a good example of why you don't follow No Quarter with Party Time in the last set of a festival weekend (Boy, I bet they won't do that again). Great playing, but seemed to totally change the flow of the set (to my ears at least).

That first set was some inspired stuff, though...as were large chunks of the second.

jedifunk

agreed... the dwd > no quarter was really fun, but the party time killed it, and they didn't really get it back till WTU.

there was a massive treybortion during ghost... trey totally lost the plot, and they ripcord'd right out of it.  let down from there on out really. (wtu excluded)
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Declan

well last night i knew it was sad when i was enjoying the bunny more then the band
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2005, 10:00:20 AM

I've been racking my brains, running through my record collection in my mind to tell you what records are my secret shame and I've decided i have none. I love everything I own and am proud of it. Music should bring joy, not guilt.

roggae

Clearly it's all awful.

mopper_smurf

"Daddy?"
"Yes, dear?"
"Did they play "Big Black Furry Creature From Mars' last night?"
"Yup, they did."
"You owe me two Euros then."
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

runawayjimbo

Quote from: mopper_smurf on July 04, 2011, 10:31:40 AM
"Daddy?"
"Yes, dear?"
"Yup, they did."

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Was that an actual conversation with your child?
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

UncleEbinezer

I enjoyed listening to the show last night.  I really enjoyed Mound!!

Backyard tour ftw!
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

mopper_smurf

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 04, 2011, 10:36:32 AM
Quote from: mopper_smurf on July 04, 2011, 10:31:40 AM
"Daddy?"
"Yes, dear?"
"Yup, they did."

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Was that an actual conversation with your child?

Yes, it was. My son is obsessed with BBFCM. He made his class sit through a rather terrible YouTube aud on the interactive whiteboard once. His teacher liked it a lot. She's into heavy metal and hardcore.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

nab

The Mound, especially the exit solo by Trey, is really very excellent. 

Gumbo72203

really weird Phish festival from what I see.

big versions of Gin, Simple, Golden Age, and Reba....  narration in Forbinbird, a return to Albany shows (last set starting "jam" and last With-less Curtain) but then lacking in a Slave and YEM.....   Slave has been their big, pinnacle 'we-end-the-huge-ones-with-this' song, and they don't even play it? 

odd.  cant wait to listen though
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

ceevee

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 04, 2011, 03:20:42 PM
Slave has been their big, pinnacle 'we-end-the-huge-ones-with-this' song, and they don't even play it? 

I was especially surprised by this one's absence, given the general theme/backdrop of Watkins Glen. I kind of expected a Contact as well.

Still, I like to expect the unexpected with this band...and then expect that the unexpected exceeds the expected....