News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Capitol Theatre switching to Ticketbastard

Started by shoreline99, September 23, 2019, 11:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoreline99

QuoteIn November of 2018, it was announced that Eventbrite would shut down Ticketfly and move customers to their new platform, Eventbrite Music. The acquisition affects The Capitol Theatre's ability to sell reserved seated shows. We are proud to be Ticketfly's first customer ever, and The Capitol Theatre was the first reserved seated venue they ever ticketed. This is a bittersweet moment for us.

After exploring various options, the results gave us a clear line of sight to move to Ticketmaster, the industry's most proven and reliable ticketing platform. We believe you will benefit from an improved and curated fan experience, faster customer service, and an easier ability to transfer tickets to friends and family.

They're currently getting slammed on social media at the moment. Totally sucks.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

rowjimmy

This is all predicated on a mistruth.
TicketFly isn't going anywhere. Eventbrite/Ticketfly have already stated this.
IMP in DC (9:30 Club/Anthem/MPP) isn't switching.

shoreline99

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 23, 2019, 11:45:11 AM
This is all predicated on a mistruth.
TicketFly isn't going anywhere. Eventbrite/Ticketfly have already stated this.
IMP in DC (9:30 Club/Anthem/MPP) isn't switching.

Neither is College Street Music hall in New Haven. There are other options out there.

It's a total money grab by Shapiro, and they're trying to spin it into a positive but the fans ain't having it.

Hicks

Venues here in town that used to use Ticketfly are all doing Eventbrite now.

Dunno why anyone would want to continue to use TF/EB, their fees are in many cases worse than TM and let's not forget this is the company that carelessly allowed all of our info to get hacked.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

shoreline99

Quote from: Hicks on September 23, 2019, 12:42:52 PM

Dunno why anyone would want to continue to use TF/EB, their fees are in many cases worse than TM and let's not forget this is the company that carelessly allowed all of our info to get hacked.

I'm curious to hear how availability of tickets is at those venues using TM, IMHO this seems to me to be more of a grab at a piece of the secondary ticket market here.

mistercharlie

Quote from: Hicks on September 23, 2019, 12:42:52 PM

Dunno why anyone would want to continue to use TF/EB, their fees are in many cases worse than TM and let’s not forget this is the company that carelessly allowed all of our info to get hacked.

The same thing is happening here in Indy. I don't like Eventbrite because I can't get a physical ticket from them. Call me old school, but I prefer the memorabilia of a tangible ticket stub instead of an email or 81/2 x 11 printed ticket on regular paper.

Although I've not experienced the high fees. Most are usually between $2-5 for the shows I see that use them.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

anthrax

for all of it's faults and unscrupulous practices, ticketmaster is the superior option.  if you were trying for phish nye, what would you rather use ticketmaster or ticketfly/eventbrite?   to me it's a no brainer.

rowjimmy

The select a seat deal with TM DURING high pressure on sales is the worst ticketing "innovation" since the internet. TM owns that shit and that's the latest reason that they can fuck all the way off.

shoreline99

Quote from: anthrax on September 23, 2019, 06:55:18 PM
for all of it's faults and unscrupulous practices, ticketmaster is the superior option.  if you were trying for phish nye, what would you rather use ticketmaster or ticketfly/eventbrite?   to me it's a no brainer.

The Cap is a 2000 seat theatre vs MSG. Big difference.

2000 comments on their FB page and climbing, all negative. They've tried to spin it a couple of times, but...

rowjimmy

Comments don't matter though.

The deal is done.

They would have been wiser to never mention it.

Hicks

I'm not defending Ticketbastard by any means, but people that think TF is much better are delusional.

From a Ticketfly purchase last year:

General Admission
2 tickets x $25.00
$50.00

Delivery method   Standard Mail
Delivery charge - Standard Mail   $2.50
Service Fee   $11.88
Total   $64.38

That's an $11.88 service fee on a $50 purchase, or a 24% charge. So yeah, they suck too.
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

shoreline99

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 24, 2019, 10:09:32 AM
Comments don't matter though.

The deal is done.

They would have been wiser to never mention it.

Agreed

Quote from: Hicks on September 24, 2019, 10:20:23 AM
I'm not defending Ticketbastard by any means, but people that think TF is much better are delusional.

From a Ticketfly purchase last year:

General Admission
2 tickets x $25.00
$50.00

Delivery method   Standard Mail
Delivery charge - Standard Mail   $2.50
Service Fee   $11.88
Total   $64.38

That's an $11.88 service fee on a $50 purchase, or a 24% charge. So yeah, they suck too.

I think the bigger issue is the secondary market. Up until now, there's been a pretty lax secondary market (other than stubhub) and a few ticket trading sites for those in the know. The biggest complaints are about the bots, scalpers and built-in secondary market with exorbitant pricing, plus TM's penchant for creating tiers of tickets (Platinum!!) with crazy pricing.

Hicks

Would it really shock you if TF was holding back tickets for the secondary market too?

And as for pricing tiers, that works both ways, I've definitely scooped a few $25-$30 tix from TM that had been reduced by dynamic pricing. 

shoreline99

Quote from: Hicks on September 24, 2019, 11:05:25 AM
Would it really shock you if TF was holding back tickets for the secondary market too?

And as for pricing tiers, that works both ways, I've definitely scooped a few $25-$30 tix from TM that had been reduced by dynamic pricing.

Not at all, man. TF has been great to date, but not every show there is a sellout. And there's usually a release day of show or thereabouts.