News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Phish's Terrapin Station - good?

Started by abstractstar, November 19, 2005, 08:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumbo72203

yeah, im pretty sure thats what the article said.  thats what the article said.  They had Brad go get the lyrics/tabs or whatever, and then had Warren help teach it to them.  ill try to dig it up and see what it said 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

susep

Quote from: Wolfmansbabymama on December 18, 2006, 03:19:08 PM
i also loved the Running with the Devil in Atl. though.

nice show, good Wolfman's also.  I like the Devil tease in YEM which btw is a funkasaurus. 

Gumbo72203

ahhhhhh ok i finally found it, after digging through my massive 7 year collection of Guitar Worlds, i finally found it.  The issue is the August 2000 issue, and it starts off:

"Less than an hour before showtime at California's Shoreline Amphitheater, the four members of Phish ares seized by a musical urge that demans satisfaction.  While practicing harmonies in their rehearsal room, they unanimaously decide that Led Zeppelin's "Misty Mountain Hop" will be the evening's encore.  There are just two small problems: they dont know the song's lyrics.  They dont even know how to play it."

blah blah Brad goes to get the lyrics online, and he finds Warren meandering backstage and asks him to help.  Haynes plugs in his Les Paul, and for 20 minutes they go over it, playing along to LZ IV.  then it goes on:

"Some three hours later, with the crowd still calling for more, Phish pulls Haynes onstage for the night's grand finale.  With the crowd roaring its approval, Phish and Haynes rip into "Misty Mountain Hop," thrashing it into form like a veteran cover band playing it for the two hundredth time."

soo....  yeah.  thats that.

plus this issue rules because its got both a lengthy interview with Trey, but its also got a diagram of his current setup, at the time, AND its got a pretty big guitar lesson with him where he shows you stuff from YEM, Stash, Tweezer, Inlaw Josie, and a bunch of little lessons and excersizes basically for guitar.  Pretty freakin' sweet.

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

rowjimmy

Funny thing about that.

That shoreline show was 9/16/99.
They first played it in Toronto on 7/20/99.

mattstick

Clearly the author took some liberties with the truth - they had played Misty Mountain Hop two months before.

Pretty amusing though - thanks for posting.

Gumbo72203

yeah, i was curious myself, because i swear i had downloaded the debut show of Misty Mountain Hop in like, the Euro 97 tour or something where it was 15-something minutes long.  I dont think i still have the show anymore...  and i dont think that they played it as an encore that time. 

and i was just at some site yesterday where you can look at lists of every performance for different songs, where they list the preceeding and following songs of that performance.

mattstick

There was no Misty Mountain Hop in Europe '97 - maybe you're thinking of Good Times Bad Times or something?

I remember being the Misty Mountain Hop debut quite clearly, we rocked out.

Gumbo72203

i dont know...  thats just the feeling im getting when i remember listening to the show.  It probably wasnt Euro 97, but i dont think i ever had 9/16/99, so thats why im confused, because i distinctly remember that listening experience, because id never heard "Misty Mountain Hop" before, and i remember it being jammed out very long, and that it was 15:xx long.  I mean, it was only played like 3 times right?

mattstick

Played 4 times in '99

7/20
9/16
9/24
and 10/10.

I was at the first and last.

Off the top of my head I would bet that 9/24/99 is the longest, but still not 15+ minutes.

Gumbo72203

oooook, it is 7/20 im thinking about.  i just pulled it up.  15 minutes, 15 seconds long.  i always forget about the stuff from the 2nd set from this show, cuz the first set is where its at, imo.  The Ghost and You Enjoy Myself are just siiiiiiick from this show. 

oh yeahhh!!!!  this reminds me, because last night i was listening to this show, and i was playing You Enjoy Myself for my friends to illustrate Phish making rock and roll classical music, essentially.  and i wanted to sendspace this for everyone because this has the siiiiiickest segue into the vocal jam that ive ever heard.  its so dank.  and its sick cuz Fish plays drums through like half of it, and the vocal jam is them doing some jamaican song i think, im not sure exactly what.  But this is the sickest vocal jam ever, imo.  I sat in my garage and listened to the last 5 minutes because i couldn't turn it off, its so sick.  I usually dont listen through the vocal jams, but this one is so sick because they're using their voices to actually play a song, basically.  Its like their a capella Freebird deal, except a different song.  I'll sendspace it if anyone wants.

edit:  i had heard Misty Mountain Hop before, i just never knew that thats what song it was; im not terribly into Led Zeppelin, so i hardly know any of the names to the songs that ive heard.  It took me like 2 years to figure out what the name of Hey Hey, What Can I Do was, because thats my favorite Zeppelin songs. 

susep

I listened to that MMH a few days ago, it definitely rages in that Summer '99 sonicism.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on December 19, 2006, 01:59:32 PM
yeah, i was curious myself, because i swear i had downloaded the debut show of Misty Mountain Hop in like, the Euro 97 tour or something where it was 15-something minutes long.  I dont think i still have the show anymore...  and i dont think that they played it as an encore that time. 

and i was just at some site yesterday where you can look at lists of every performance for different songs, where they list the preceeding and following songs of that performance.

http://www.ihoz.com/every.html

Hokker

I thought their version of Terripin was good but was missing the low end. Phil is the hero in that song and was sorely missed. Fun to listen to though.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
― Friedrich Nietzsche

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
― Frank Zappa