News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

susep's Corner

Started by susep, September 14, 2008, 01:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 21, 2008, 05:05:04 PM
I AM the forum. 

and don't even try to act like you don't already know that.  ;)

Easy there jr.
:wink:

Casey Lenahan

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 21, 2008, 08:14:45 PM
I AM the forum. 

Easy there jr.

yeah theres no more cluepons left!
I owe Aug $20

rowjimmy

Quote from: tehdead on September 21, 2008, 09:37:38 PM
I AM the forum. 

Easy there jr.

He hasn't cashed in the last one yet.

Ri©h

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 21, 2008, 10:59:13 PM
Quote from: tehdead on September 21, 2008, 09:37:38 PM
I AM the forum. 

Easy there jr.

He hasn't cashed in the last one yet.

Something tells me he won't.  :-D

susep

Quote from: susep73 on September 14, 2008, 01:17:28 PM
Thread debut, this stellar sandwich from Amsterdam.  Garcia burns throughout this amazing piece of improvisation, a must hear!

:syf: - The Other One>Me and Bobby McGee>The Other One 10May1972

http://www.sendspace.com/file/vw5ncj

41:56
mp3
192Kbps
57.59 MB

any thoughts on this The Other One?  Its really one of the better versions I've heard, very intentful playing by everyone.  Jerry in particular is ripping!

VA $l!m

Quote from: susep73 on September 22, 2008, 04:10:07 PM
Thread debut, this stellar sandwich from Amsterdam.  Garcia burns throughout this amazing piece of improvisation, a must hear!

mp3
192Kbps
57.59 MB

any thoughts on this The Other One?  Its really one of the better versions I've heard, very intentful playing by everyone.  Jerry in particular is ripping!

well seeing as i smoked today for the first time in months and now i'm super stoned, i'll pull it out and take the trip. full report later. 8-)

btw. i mentioned in the gdead thread about the 9-9 other one. give it a whirl and maybe you/me/we could post it.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

VA $l!m

listened to all of it!
my second monster other one today!
maybe i was burnt on the whole thing, but i didnt really get into this version until post second verse and  the transition into bobby mcgee... the first 25min or so of this version were CHOCK full of straight Space... though i must admit jerry was all the fuck over those 25 min. it almost sounded like he was working off a LSD hangover from the bickershaw festi by smokin a ton in the dam and then palying his way through this by making every sound possible he could get out of his strat!
though maybe still i'd view this as a warm up for the next night's star. pretty cool...not sure if i'd even listened to this before. thanks.

susep

Quote from: VA slim on September 22, 2008, 08:55:23 PM
listened to all of it!
my second monster other one today!
maybe i was burnt on the whole thing, but i didnt really get into this version until post second verse and  the transition into bobby mcgee... the first 25min or so of this version were CHOCK full of straight Space... though i must admit jerry was all the fuck over those 25 min. it almost sounded like he was working off a LSD hangover from the bickershaw festi by smokin a ton in the dam and then palying his way through this by making every sound possible he could get out of his strat!
though maybe still i'd view this as a warm up for the next night's star. pretty cool...not sure if i'd even listened to this before. thanks.

nice glad you like it!  for me it grabs my attention from the outset, Jerry's guitar howls.  It really is an atypical reading and to be surrounded by such mammoth versions, it easily gets overlooked. 
I wouldn't say it was a warm-up for anything but rather it was truly it.  I'm not a big fan of Bobby McGee per se but this version is killer, again Jerry is playing so well.  All in all an amazing GD moment.  I'll listen to 9Sept. and get back to you.  +k for listening.

Ri©h

Quote from: susep73 on September 22, 2008, 04:10:07 PM

mp3
192Kbps
57.59 MB

susep...  my apologies for getting off subject.  :-)

You're right about this version.  It's a monster.  Jerry starts this off by blowing you away with riff after riff.  Crazy fingers man... cuh-razy!!! That trademark "follow my lead" flow that Jerry was so good at.  Sometimes I wonder if the rest of the band knew that they sounded like they were trying so hard to keep up with him.  And then the song just kind of melts into a surreal flow.  Classic Dead right there.  A bit of exploratory riffage to follow before heading back into the main theme.  And then yet more exploratory jamming following Bobby's vocals.  Jerry goes NUTS with the wah pedal and the wild string scraping. :lol:  I'm really glad Keith was on board for these gigs.  His piano lends a great vibe to these monster Other Ones.  The windup of this version is just perfect whilst heading into Bobby McGee...  I love it.

I'm going to listen to the whole gig tomorrow.  You've inspired me.  Great pick. 

rowjimmy

Just fired this up so I'm gonna post stream-of-gumbo-like as it goes along...

Jerry is ready and rolling out of the gate. Much shreddage...
Keith is def. on board with Jerry's agenda but Jerry is already wailing at some deep space 4 minutes in!
At 5.5 mins we are in a quiet jam, notes and bends dripping from Jerry's fingers.
Billy keeps it loose with low rolls and cymbals.

8 minutes Jerry has remembered what song they're in and begins building it up with some sweet dissonance from Keith on the build. the tempo and volume increase but it's nearly two minutes before the whole band comes together and stays there for a true TOO jam. Keith is really high in the mix and standing strong on this shit.

Phil is kinda blurry in some of the mp3 lossey-ness but I can tell he's back there bouncing off Jerry.

@ 11m We get a verse! Nice Pigpen organ riffs in the old-school style!
Annnnnnnd Deeper space before the 13min mark hits.
Jerry is just getting nasty in the 15-16minute range. scratching and rocking the wah and trying to dissolve my brain.
woah...

Keith is channeling Ives over on his side of the stage

Oh man.. Pig is still onstage and applying nice punctuation with the organ. Hell yeah!
Phil is dropping the doom and gloom bombs

20mins and Keith and Billy are working a cool jam. Man I could get down to this!

23 mins things are starting to sound like TOO a tad
oh yeah, here they go. Jerry is out to say something with this bitch... or at least melt some face.
it's kind of loping along though, not exactly full steam
by 26mins you think you're gonna get another verse then it all falls apart

Wait.. they're putting it back together...
28.5 Phil is driving and everybody is buckled in straight on theme.

Wow.
I've never heard this riff that Jerry is hitting @ 29min
At least not with this tone.. way cool.

And now, a minute later it's gone and Jerry's just about on his own... Phil's following along through some meandering leads.

Bobby's chording a tiny bit.
Now he and Phil seem to be linked up and Jerry's pouring some beautiful notes atop the beautiful accompaniment they're providing The progression reminds me vaguely of Lost Sailor, actually...But only for a moment, and Jerry's not anywhere near that.

@ 34 Keith hits a stray chord on the piano but he's no where near what Jerry's doing. Jerry is stringing a series of ascending notes to the top of the neck until... woah!

Bobby's singing Me & Bobby McGee out of nowhere. He must've been conspiring with the rest of the band behind Jerry's back.

Jerry's all about the backing vocals on Me & Bobby McGee tonight and his solos are terrific. Nice to hear a touch of Pig's keys over there too.

Hold up!
Now we go back into TOO?
Cool.

Jerry's ripping it on the main theme here.
Woah.. Verse two comes on. (pretty much same as the first save the words, of course.)
Thats 30 minutes in between verses, btw...
And then the thing trickles away into Wharf Rat...

Awesome pick susep!

susep

Quote from: VA slim on September 22, 2008, 05:48:09 PM
i mentioned in the gdead thread about the 9-9 other one. give it a whirl and maybe you/me/we could post it.

just finished listening to 9Sept.72, good version.  I like how around 23:00, Jerry is exploding sonic screams w/ Phil adding lines into a serene jam.  Bob leads w/ a slight Spanish jam feel rythym before the jam morphs several more times.  All in all good version. 

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 23, 2008, 12:40:40 PM
Just fired this up so I'm gonna post stream-of-gumbo-like as it goes along...

Jerry is ready and rolling out of the gate. Much shreddage...
Keith is def. on board with Jerry's agenda but Jerry is already wailing at some deep space 4 minutes in!
At 5.5 mins we are in a quiet jam, notes and bends dripping from Jerry's fingers.
Billy keeps it loose with low rolls and cymbals.

8 minutes Jerry has remembered what song they're in and begins building it up with some sweet dissonance from Keith on the build. the tempo and volume increase but it's nearly two minutes before the whole band comes together and stays there for a true TOO jam. Keith is really high in the mix and standing strong on this shit.

Phil is kinda blurry in some of the mp3 lossey-ness but I can tell he's back there bouncing off Jerry.

@ 11m We get a verse! Nice Pigpen organ riffs in the old-school style!
Annnnnnnd Deeper space before the 13min mark hits.
Jerry is just getting nasty in the 15-16minute range. scratching and rocking the wah and trying to dissolve my brain.
woah...

Keith is channeling Ives over on his side of the stage

Oh man.. Pig is still onstage and applying nice punctuation with the organ. Hell yeah!
Phil is dropping the doom and gloom bombs

20mins and Keith and Billy are working a cool jam. Man I could get down to this!

23 mins things are starting to sound like TOO a tad
oh yeah, here they go. Jerry is out to say something with this bitch... or at least melt some face.
it's kind of loping along though, not exactly full steam
by 26mins you think you're gonna get another verse then it all falls apart

Wait.. they're putting it back together...
28.5 Phil is driving and everybody is buckled in straight on theme.

Wow.
I've never heard this riff that Jerry is hitting @ 29min
At least not with this tone.. way cool.

And now, a minute later it's gone and Jerry's just about on his own... Phil's following along through some meandering leads.

Bobby's chording a tiny bit.
Now he and Phil seem to be linked up and Jerry's pouring some beautiful notes atop the beautiful accompaniment they're providing The progression reminds me vaguely of Lost Sailor, actually...But only for a moment, and Jerry's not anywhere near that.

@ 34 Keith hits a stray chord on the piano but he's no where near what Jerry's doing. Jerry is stringing a series of ascending notes to the top of the neck until... woah!

Bobby's singing Me & Bobby McGee out of nowhere. He must've been conspiring with the rest of the band behind Jerry's back.

Jerry's all about the backing vocals on Me & Bobby McGee tonight and his solos are terrific. Nice to hear a touch of Pig's keys over there too.

Hold up!
Now we go back into TOO?
Cool.

Jerry's ripping it on the main theme here.
Woah.. Verse two comes on. (pretty much same as the first save the words, of course.)
Thats 30 minutes in between verses, btw...
And then the thing trickles away into Wharf Rat...

Awesome pick susep!

thx, nice review.  perhaps it could qualify for your next The Other One mix?

rowjimmy

I doubt there would be another...
But it would have gotten a few minutes in my mix were I making it now.

For the record, I did use 5/16 and 8/22 from that year.

VA $l!m

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 23, 2008, 10:36:04 PM

8-22= top 5 from 72.

rowjimmy

Quote from: VA slim on September 24, 2008, 12:20:25 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on September 23, 2008, 10:36:04 PM

8-22= top 5 from 72.

total sickness...

bluecaravan521

That was sick susep.  Thank you so much for sharing that.  A truly incredible musical journey. +k
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...