News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Complete Music DVD You Watched?

Started by mopper_smurf, October 28, 2008, 10:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Jazz Giants of the 20th Century - good stuff, lots of great footage, dating back to the 40's...

QuoteVintage performances by a plethora of musical icons create a jazz lover's dream in this jam-packed compilation. The rare footage showcases both jazz pioneers and contemporary artists, including Duke Ellington, Cab Calloway, Count Basie, Louis Armstrong, Nat King Cole, Earl Hines, Lionel Hampton, Dizzy Gillespie, Coleman Hawkins, Grover Washington Jr., Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock and more. Jazz legends discuss their music in a bonus interview.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

gah

Make It Funky - documentary and live concert from 2004 at the Saenger Theater, started out strong, but then got weak as it progressed.

khalpin

QuotePHISH
July 6, 1998

Lucerna Theatre
Prague, Czech Republic

Team HOOD
2005 Remaster

VIDEO ATTRIBUTES:
Source: Hi8 Master (Clone) - Provided by Unidecker
Tv System: NTSC
Aspect Ratio: 4:3, 720 x 480
System Bitrate: 8.29 Mbps disc 1, 7.23 Mbps disc 2

AUDIO ATTRIBUTES:
Source: FOB Schoeps mk4 (mics in hat) > kcy > VMS 102b > DA-P1@44.1KHz (Derek Gregory)
(DANKSEED:http://db.etree.org/shninfo_detail.php?shnid=5627)
Audio Coding Mode: DVD_LPCM_AUDIO
Sampling Rate: 48 kHz
Bitrate: 1.54 Mbps

Editing:
FCP 4.5
DSP 2.0
Capture/Author/Synch: Harry Hood

Disc 1 Set 1

Buried Alive
AC/DC Bag
Ghost
Cities
Limb By Limb
Train Song
Roggae
Maze*
Golgi Apparatus

Disc 2 Set 2

Julius
Meat
Piper
Makisupa Policeman
David Bowie
Loving Cup
E: Possum
This one's gonna get a lot of mileage on my DVD player.  The first set at least anyway.

mopper_smurf

AC/DC Plug Me In

Disc 1 has some footage from Arnhem 1979. I was there  :rawk:  :rawk:  :rawk:  :rawk:

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

mopper_smurf

Metallica - S & M with the San Francisco Symphony

Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

gah

Quote from: khalpin on May 17, 2010, 10:13:20 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on May 17, 2010, 02:40:47 PM
Quote from: khalpin on May 09, 2010, 11:16:00 AM
Jaco Pastorius - Montreal Jazzfest 1982

First time seeing this one.  I highly recommend it.

Is this the same as Live and Outrageous :

QuoteJazz legend Jaco Pastorius takes the stage for a landmark concert performance at the 1982 Montreal Jazz Festival with bandmates Randy Brecker on trumpet, Peter Erskine on drums, Bobby Mintzer on reeds, Don Alias on percussion and Othello Molineaux on steel drums. Tracks include Charlie Parker's "Donna Lee" and Pastorius's signature "Chicken," plus plenty of improvisation to keep jazz fans fully satisfied.
?
Yeah, looks like the same thing.

Finally got around to seeing this yesterday. Pretty bad ass. Thanks for the rec.

gah

Saxophone Colossus, Sonny Rollins - bad ass doc from '86, has interview and live performance footage. Highly recommended...

khalpin

Quote from: goodabouthood on April 29, 2011, 03:16:21 PM

QuoteJazz legend Jaco Pastorius takes the stage for a landmark concert performance at the 1982 Montreal Jazz Festival with bandmates Randy Brecker on trumpet, Peter Erskine on drums, Bobby Mintzer on reeds, Don Alias on percussion and Othello Molineaux on steel drums. Tracks include Charlie Parker's "Donna Lee" and Pastorius's signature "Chicken," plus plenty of improvisation to keep jazz fans fully satisfied.
?

Finally got around to seeing this yesterday. Pretty bad ass. Thanks for the rec.
Only took you a year.... :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

gah

Quote from: khalpin on May 04, 2011, 02:35:39 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on April 29, 2011, 03:16:21 PM

?

Only took you a year.... :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

HEY MAN! When I put something on my list, I get to it..................

....eventually!  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

gah

A Great Day in Harlem - pretty cool doc about this one photo that was taken in 1958 of 57 jazz musicians all brought together for this one photo, after having not hung out or seen each other or played together. It's told through interviews and recollections of that day and how the photo came about. Lots of great tunes throughout, as well...

barnesy305

Quote from: goodabouthood on May 11, 2011, 12:16:46 PM
A Great Day in Harlem - pretty cool doc about this one photo that was taken in 1958 of 57 jazz musicians all brought together for this one photo, after having not hung out or seen each other or played together. It's told through interviews and recollections of that day and how the photo came about. Lots of great tunes throughout, as well...

Great doc, saw that in theatres when it came out.

gah

Impressions of Coltrane- about an hour long, just black and white footage from various sources, including a couple tunes with Miles Davis.

mopper_smurf

Twitter | FB | Instagram

iamhydroJen

So bummed about missing "Stop Making Sense" at the Film on the Rocks series this summer!  :|
"Years later, I found out they'd signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.  The head of Decca, Dick Rowe, made a canny prediction: 'Guitar groups are on the way out, Mr. Epstein.'" - George Harrison

gah

Louis Armstrong- Forever Gold - hour long dvd of gritty black and white footage, but worth the watch simply to see him doing some classics...