News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Complete Music DVD You Watched?

Started by mopper_smurf, October 28, 2008, 10:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

watched a bunch of the RUSH Time Machine live in Cleveland 2011 Vid. last night.
its from the tour that they do the entire Moving Pictures LP in the show.
every time i see recent footage of these guys now i'm fucking amazed.
they have to all be close to 60yr old and they all fucking RIP!
really unreal.
take note Phish. this is how you grow old GRACEFULLY!  :rawk:
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

khalpin

Quote from: VA $l!m on December 30, 2011, 11:18:04 AM
watched a bunch of the RUSH Time Machine live in Cleveland 2011 Vid. last night.
really unreal.
I watched it last night, too.  There's a lack of pre-1980 material but finally having a live Camera Eye makes it worth the price of admission alone.

VA $l!m

Quote from: khalpin on December 30, 2011, 04:38:19 PM
Quote from: VA $l!m on December 30, 2011, 11:18:04 AM
really unreal.
I watched it last night, too.  There's a lack of pre-1980 material but finally having a live Camera Eye makes it worth the price of admission alone.

ya know i think i missed that one. i was flippin back and forth to a nba game. the VITAL SIGNS was dope though.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

mopper_smurf

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

barnesy305

So GAH is a fucking champ! Not only did he send me the Junior Wells doc but he threw in some extras!

Jimi Hendrix- Studio outtakes from 1969-05-15 and 1970-06-15
Pink Floyd- live in Philly 1970-09-26
Action Habit- a local punk band
Keith B- according to the note, GAH's favorite cab driver, looks like reggae or hip-hop
Cure for the Crash- a film featuring footage of train hopping, according to the note, he met the director/producer/actor in NOLA who also signed it.

Thanks bro, I look forward to enjoying these. +k!!

barnesy305

Quote from: Mr. Natural on December 29, 2011, 07:27:55 PM
The performances are great, but so are the documentary portions. Some good footage of the hot-tempered buisness man I'd always read about Bill Graham being.

I just noticed this, you should read his oral biography "Bill Graham Presents", one of my favorite books ever, the guy had such an amazing story.

Mr. Natural

Quote from: barnesy305 on January 05, 2012, 06:46:22 PM
The performances are great, but so are the documentary portions. Some good footage of the hot-tempered buisness man I'd always read about Bill Graham being.

I just noticed this, you should read his oral biography "Bill Graham Presents", one of my favorite books ever, the guy had such an amazing story.

He goes into it a little bit in LAST DAYS. Mainly his refugee childhood all over Europe, into Africa, finally to Ellis Island. My wife & I were thinking that's why he can slice through so many American musicians & managers so well - since he's been up against the wall 4real and knows what it's like when the chips are down, life&death-style.
I'll fully have to read that one.
p.s. Although I only half-remember the story of BG finally getting dosed, seeing him pick up a 7-Up bottle he had put down earlier and take a sip kinda made me giggle to myself. I'm not sure if it was this show or not, but it was worth a chuckle, nonetheless.
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

barnesy305

Quote from: Mr. Natural on January 08, 2012, 05:45:16 PM
Quote from: barnesy305 on January 05, 2012, 06:46:22 PM

He goes into it a little bit in LAST DAYS. Mainly his refugee childhood all over Europe, into Africa, finally to Ellis Island. My wife & I were thinking that's why he can slice through so many American musicians & managers so well - since he's been up against the wall 4real and knows what it's like when the chips are down, life&death-style.
I'll fully have to read that one.
p.s. Although I only half-remember the story of BG finally getting dosed, seeing him pick up a 7-Up bottle he had put down earlier and take a sip kinda made me giggle to myself. I'm not sure if it was this show or not, but it was worth a chuckle, nonetheless.

That was a 69 show, I believe. They released it a few years ago officially, but I'm spacing on the date. That incident is humorously recalled in the book. You'll have to order it though, it's usually not something readily available. I went through Barnes and Noble. Well worth it.

Mr. Natural

Totally delivered. I haven't seen the first one by this dude (METAL: A HEADBANGER'S JOURNEY, a general overview of the genre), but this one was just what I was hoping for. Middle East, South America, China, Japan - he hits 'em all and shows what's up with their metal scenes. They usually start off with footage of the first [American or English] metal band to play in a certain region, then they follow the locals who were so stoked they started their own bands, etc. Plus, there's a whole chapter on Sepultura!  :rawk:
Next up for me is UNTIL THE LIGHT TAKES US, the Norweigan black metal doc. I've enjoyed hearing bits & pieces [pun intended] of the story from friends, but I'd love to see it in documentary form.

barnesy305

Quote from: Mr. Natural on February 03, 2012, 10:56:53 PM
Totally delivered. I haven't seen the first one by this dude (METAL: A HEADBANGER'S JOURNEY, a general overview of the genre), but this one was just what I was hoping for. Middle East, South America, China, Japan - he hits 'em all and shows what's up with their metal scenes. They usually start off with footage of the first [American or English] metal band to play in a certain region, then they follow the locals who were so stoked they started their own bands, etc. Plus, there's a whole chapter on Sepultura!  :rawk:
Next up for me is UNTIL THE LIGHT TAKES US, the Norweigan black metal doc. I've enjoyed hearing bits & pieces [pun intended] of the story from friends, but I'd love to see it in documentary form.

Nice, I'll have to check that out. He also did the Rush doc and he has a series on VH1 Classic called Metal Evolution that is pretty interesting.  The black metal doc is pretty fucking intense.

mbw

Quote from: barnesy305 on February 04, 2012, 04:20:50 PM

The black metal doc is pretty fucking intense.

i watched this last night actually.  i think i fell asleep before the end however.
it was pretty slow moving, and uniteresting for the first hour or so.
it gets better once they start talking about the church burnings, but it takes a while to get there.

anthrax

I really enjoyed Headbangers Journey!  I'll have to check this one out!

Mr. Natural

Nice, I'll have to check that out. He also did the Rush doc and he has a series on VH1 Classic called Metal Evolution that is pretty interesting.  The black metal doc is pretty fucking intense.
[/quote]
BEYOND THE LIGHTED STAGE? He did that, too? That was awesome! (Even if my damn library copy did start freezing when Neil Peart meets his mentor towards the end. I need to check that one out again.) My wife & I loved the home movies of teenage Alex Lifeson complaining about life while he gets to play guitar 6 hours a day and smoke cigarettes in front of his parents.  :cry:
I've been listening to their albums chronologically since we watched it. I'm up to MOVING PICTURES. I've listened to it, but haven't read the lyrics along with it yet - which totally blew me away on HEMISPHERES.

Poofer

Watched stop making sense last night. Awesome as usual...
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything

mopper_smurf

Pro-shot show in Germany. Chad Smith isn't the drummer on this one - he was on tour with RHCP.  Kenny Aronoff does a hell of a job as his replacement
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy