News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

New LivePhish.com Release... 7/19/1991 W/Giant Country Horns!

Started by mistercharlie, March 05, 2019, 06:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jam>

After my non-humble brag about being at the show, I'll add:

In retrospect it's hard to adequately describe how, in addition to quality musicianship, how totally left field and sometimes downright absurd everything was – the complete variety of music styles, the vocal jam in YEM, "I didn't know", the lyrics to everything, the drummer coming out with a vacuum cleaner and covering The Doors, then having his mom come out... I had Lawnboy on CD but don't think I had Junta yet that was only available on cassette at the merch tables, so it's not like I knew all the music either.

This band was f'in weird and really good. And it was a young hippy crowd. The only thing missing from this show was the Trey storytelling (Mockingbird, Harpua) that I got at the other shows of the era.

mbw

Quote from: gah on March 05, 2019, 12:38:38 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 05, 2019, 11:00:53 AM
Quote from: gah on March 05, 2019, 10:46:06 AM
Quote from: Bobafett on March 05, 2019, 09:59:14 AM
Only one jam over 12 minutes and it's divided sky?   Weaksauce.     

/s

well, there's also the 17+min yem.

It's 91 and it's the horns tour. Not known for extended jamz.

oh, don't yell at me. I enjoy it. I was just pointing out the discrepancy in the statement regarding the longest length track on the release. I couldn't tell if bobafett was being sarcastic or not.

what part of /s didn't you understand?

Caravan2001

Nice.  91 is my jam.  One of the few times I got to do a whole tour.  Looking forward to listening.

gah

Quote from: mbw on March 05, 2019, 02:40:36 PM

/s

oh, don't yell at me. I enjoy it. I was just pointing out the discrepancy in the statement regarding the longest length track on the release. I couldn't tell if bobafett was being sarcastic or not.

I don't understand your internet lingo
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

susep

Was hoping for Lowell '95 or 8July99(Birds!).  No Flat Fee???  Just like the House and Senate, perhaps the Phish Archivist should have term limits? 

Bobafett

Quote from: gah on March 05, 2019, 04:22:11 PM
Quote from: mbw on March 05, 2019, 02:40:36 PM

/s

I don't understand your internet lingo

It was totally sarcastic.   I really do like these earlier shows as there is a bubbling fire just below the surface on almost every song.  I listened to the first set in the kitchen today before I had to assuage the other people working and listen to Adele and Pink Floyd.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

cactusfan

Quote from: susep on March 05, 2019, 05:02:59 PM
Was hoping for Lowell '95 or 8July99(Birds!).  No Flat Fee???  Just like the House and Senate, perhaps the Phish Archivist should have term limits?

It remains a mystery why the great shows from '99 have been consistently ignored. They're not that hard to spot.

Meanwhile, maybe they could just dump the entirety of '94 and '97 on us? We're not getting any younger here.

Hicks

It's not a terrible pick, but let's be honest, how different is this show really than the 7/12 show that already got released?

With the rate of one or two shows per year that they are currently dropping I wish they would start getting out the shows where there are no good AUDs or are legit legendary shows.

Even Arrowhead, yes I know it's also available as a SBD, would have made more sense to release from this tour since those shows are often cited as among the best of the year. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

khalpin

Quote from: Hicks on March 05, 2019, 08:18:01 PM
It's not a terrible pick, but let's be honest, how different is this show really than the 7/12 show that already got released?

With the rate of one or two shows per year that they are currently dropping I wish they would start getting out the shows where there are no good AUDs or are legit legendary shows.

Even Arrowhead, yes I know it's also available as a SBD, would have made more sense to release from this tour since those shows are often cited as among the best of the year.

This!  I don't think they really care about existing sources in circulation.  Way too many LP releases of shows that already circulate in Sbd.

Caravan2001

I agree with this.  I mean, the Keene show is already out.  There a bunch of 91 shows I wold have picked over this.  But I am glad they are putting out more early stuff.  I would rather see some 87-89 releases personally.

Hicks

Quote from: Caravan2001 on March 05, 2019, 09:45:39 PM

I agree with this.  I mean, the Keene show is already out.  There a bunch of 91 shows I wold have picked over this.  But I am glad they are putting out more early stuff.  I would rather see some 87-89 releases personally.

Indeed, only one complete show from the entire 80s is crazy to me. There are tons of awesome shows from 87-89 too. And what about 90, they only put out 10-31-90 and that was like 15 years ago or something.
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sunrisevt

All of this x 1000.

But the library is finite, gotta keep that in mind. The long view.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

mistercharlie

Quote from: sunrisevt on March 06, 2019, 01:18:04 AM
All of this x 1000.

The library is finite, but the life expectancy of the fans is much shorter than the current rate of release.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Hicks

Quote from: mistercharlie on March 06, 2019, 05:20:39 AM
Quote from: sunrisevt on March 06, 2019, 01:18:04 AM
All of this x 1000.

The library is finite, but the life expectancy of the fans is much shorter than the current rate of release.

Yeah at the current rate of release of 1-2/year they would release only 60-70 more shows by the time the band members are in their 80s, so that line of reasoning doesn't make much sense. And for proper physical archival releases it's even worse, with nothing in 2014 and 2016. And when they do box sets, BD box aside, they are slapped together without much thought or effort with no liner notes or much in the way of photos and ephemera.

I think they just don't care about that side of the business anymore. Which is fine, I get it, they are making more money than they ever could have conceived of by playing shows. But aren't they paying a guy to take care of this stuff for them?

anthrax

Finally getting into this release on a lazy Saturday.  It wouldn't have been my choice for the next pick, but this show rips!