News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Dim Lights, Thick Smoke, and Loud, Loud Music

Started by nab, February 22, 2021, 12:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nab

I've also really been digging on Charley Crockett lately. My first album of his was his latest Welcome to Hard Times which took the Colter Wall self titled to pry it's place off the turntable. I played it every night, most of the time back to back, for a solid week. Picked up his Lil G.L's Blue Bonanza today in the mail. It's a collection of blues and country covers and there's some real hot takes on this one. His cover of That's How I Got to Memphis written by Tom T. Hall is outstanding.

VDB

Quote from: nab on February 22, 2021, 12:30:47 AM
This album is my current flip over and over

Listening to and enjoying this now, thank ya pardner.
Is this still Wombat?

nab

Quote from: VDB on February 25, 2021, 12:38:50 PM
Quote from: nab on February 22, 2021, 12:30:47 AM
This album is my current flip over and over

Listening to and enjoying this now, thank ya pardner.

Awesome, glad you like it. The first side of this album (through Kate McCannon) has an amazing emotional arc. Like the second side a little less, but they've really grown on me as well. Snake Mountain Blues is my least favorite tune if I had to pick one, and given that its a Townes cover, it says something about Wall's song writing.

And it's my least favorite song on the album not because it's a bad cover, but because it breaks the stream of words from the whole story painted by Wall on the album.

Buffalo Budd

I'm spinning some John Prine this morning.
Man, the guy could tell a story.

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

nab

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on February 26, 2021, 08:31:46 AM
I'm spinning some John Prine this morning.
Man, the guy could tell a story.

Great album. Grandpa Was a Carpenter is one of my favorite Prine tracks.

nab

I just can't say enough about Charley Crockett. I dug into The Valley and his latest cover album of James Hand songs 10 For Slim.

Man this guy just can't seem to loose now.

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/album-review-charley-crocketts-10-for-slim/

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/album-review-charley-crocketts-the-valley/

nab

So this podcast series takes a lot of hits for the abrasiveness/aloofness of the host, who hasn't fallen far from the tree, and hasn't delivered on his promises of more material, but what we have is jam packed with a lot of good info on Country Music history and theory and worthy of a listen for that imo. The deep, three episode dive on everyone involved in "Harper Valley PTA", the Buck Owens/Don Rich episodes, the Tubbs episode, the Louvin Brothers episode, and the Haggard episode are all essentials for me. The Spade Cooley episode is fucking chilling and awful because Spade Cooley is fucking chilling and awful.

Any impressions or experiences?

https://cocaineandrhinestones.com/

nab

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on February 23, 2021, 02:58:49 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on February 22, 2021, 03:31:12 PM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on February 22, 2021, 02:52:37 PM
Quote from: nab on February 22, 2021, 08:41:50 AM
Harris is phenomenal. Roses in the Snow, with Ricky Skaggs, should be required listening for any music fan.

Simpson is one of the artists I was actually thinking about looking into next. Any suggestions on where to start first?

A Sailor's Guide to Earth is what hooked me and I continued to dig into his catalogue, which isn't that extensive yet.

The two newer bluegrass records are outstanding.

Totally agree, looking forward to his continued output.

I started with Cuttin Grass Vol 1.

Phenomenal album. Went on a two or three streak where I listened to it front to back multiple times a day.

Then I moved on to Metamodern Sounds in Country Music. This is where learning the songs in the context of the bluegrass arrangement first put me at a disadvantage on my first listen. Eight of the ten songs on Metamodern are on Cuttin Grass, and man did they sound slow the first listen. But by the second listen, after my ears were attuned I was hooked. The On the Road Again tease at the start of the ending instrumental break of Long White Line, fucking perfect.

sunrisevt

Commander Cody & the Lost Planet Airmen's "Lost in the Ozone" has been played at least weekly in my house for the last year.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

nab

Definitely hitting up the Under the Big Sky Festival.

Dwight Yoakum, Emmylou Harris, Lucinda Williams, Billy Strings, Colter Wall, Tyler Childers, Charley Crockett.

An embarrassment of riches in Western Montana this summer.

https://www.underthebigskyfest.com/