News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Chromecast question

Started by khalpin, October 21, 2015, 07:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khalpin

I was wondering if anyone here might have some experience with Chromecast.  I was wondering if it might actually cure all of my media needs.  Take for instance the Bills / Jaguars game this coming Sunday that's streaming via Yahoo....I should be able to stream the game in Google Chrome and that'll send it to Chromecast > HDMI and show up on the TV, right?  I assume that if I have an HDMI-input on my stereo, that I can plug the chromecast into there, get the sound on the stereos and go HDMI out to the TV and the sound would be 5.1 (assuming the broadcast is in 5.1) or no?

If I had video files of a movie or say an mp4 of a recent Phish show in HD, would I be able to play that on my computer and send it to the TV/Receiver?

Any other types of video files that I might usually watch on the computer using VLC player, like a blu-ray rip (.m2ts files) or say the the Big Cypress .webm files, or just regular Xvid avi files.....does it have to be video coming through a browser and send what's in your browser window or does it take the whole monitor's picture and pass that to the chromecast dongle-thing?

Sorry for my ignorance on this.  I'm way behind the times here.  Any advice is much appreciated.

mbw

Yes you will be able to stream the game in your browser through yahoo sports.  It will be in whatever audio it is broadcast in as you presumed.  And yes you can plug the chromecast into an hdmi port on your reciever.  That is how i have mine hooked up.  It rules for live phish.

In terms of streaming files on your computer, you can open a blank chrome window or tab and drag/drop most any file in it and it becomes a media player, then cast the tab.  It will play 90% of files out there.  It has to be in chrome as opposed to casting your screen.

mbw

I dont know if the yahoo mobile app is supports chromecast natively, but you can look that up.  The number of apps which support it natively is growing by the day.  This is the optimal way to use chromecast.  It will have the little cast icon on whatever the app is playing.  Hbo go works, netflix, pandora, google music, etc.  Any app not natively suppoorted can be cast on movile too using the cast screen function, which will cast whatever is on your phone.

Basically chromecast is the shit.  Is is how i watch 100% of tv.

khalpin

Good to know.  Thanks, Terry!

antelope19

Quote from: mbw on October 21, 2015, 08:26:07 PM
In terms of streaming files on your computer, you can open a blank chrome window or tab and drag/drop most any file in it and it becomes a media player, then cast the tab.  It will play 90% of files out there.  It has to be in chrome as opposed to casting your screen.
Did not know this. Thanks for sharing!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment