News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Who wants to learn how to seed?

Started by disco, December 18, 2006, 02:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nab

I really only put it up there as a test case, I'm not set on seeding it or anything.  What I'm most interested in is exactly what I said in my previous post about the ffps not matching.  This step is always what keeps me from seeding anything, I can't make the little letters and numbers match. 

disco

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on December 18, 2006, 02:58:26 PM
 How come ripping and re-encrypting is bad?  Can't you rip the tracks into .wav files?  I dont know, i hardly ever rip CD's.  But what about re-encrypting files that have been on my computer?  Like ive got shows where ive already decompressed the lossless files into .wav files; is it ok to re-compress those back into their original form, be it .shn or flac?

When you rip and re-encode the filesets you no longer have an exact match to the original fileset transfered, so you have no way of verifying. When the show was transfered a checksum was created to test the filesets later on down the road. If a transfer error occurs or the files become corrupted you can check by simply going to the db, finding your show, then source and downloading the checksums into your folder and clicking on them (which opens up the mkwACT to test them, for flac files use your Frontend to "add" the files, then click "test", this will test the flac files to see if they have been tampered with, in addition visually compare the ffp in your fileset with the one in the db) Doing so ensures that the files you are spreading are not corrupt, incomplete, or otherwise different in anyway from the those originally transfered. The files may not sound different, but this is the only way to ensure that you are seeding what you think you are seeding. It is not ok to recompress these wav files you have because they are inherently different from the source files (for ex: DAT>>>>Flac vs. DAT>>>>Flac>>wav>>Flac, the files have undergone different conversions and will both create a different checksum) To some pholks this may seem a bit anal, but it is the only way to preserve the intregrity of the original filesets and to ensure that we are not spreading bad filesets around.
..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..