News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R15/W6: 4-5-1993 The HUB Ballroom at UW, Seattle, WA

Started by Pholy M. Pia, May 07, 2012, 02:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pholy M. Pia

Set I

Llama, It's Ice, Fee, Maze, Fluffhead, Paul and Silas, Stash, Col. Forbin's Ascent > The Famous Mockingbird> David Bowie

Set II

Axilla, Poor Heart, Caravan, Punch You in the Eye, Tweezer, Glide, You Enjoy Myself, HYHY> Cracklin' Rosie> HYHU, Tweezer Reprise

Encore

Carolina, Fire*
*Dedicated to "Dudley"

source:
(FOB) Neumann km140 > Sonosax SX-M2 > Sony D-10 II pro (@48 kHz)

transfer:
Sony PCM-R500 > M-Audio MicroTrack > CF Card > usb > pc > WaveLab 5.01b (de-emphasis, fades, resample to 44.1kHz) > CD Wave v1.94.7 > FLAC v1.1.2 (Level 8)

recorded by Jim Cowan
transferred by Jason Sobel (jasonsobel@gmail.com)
seeded March 5, 2006

Lossy:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/73mmqn
Lossless:
http://bt.etree.org/download.php/500936/ph1993-04-05.32609.flac16.torrent
"Be in your own movie." - Ken Kesey

emay

woah just downloaded this show the other week! coincidence?! maybe. But havent listened to it yet, will drop in a review for this week

whatapiper

We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Pholy M. Pia

Quote from: whatapiper on May 07, 2012, 01:14:45 PM
Nice! Keeping it local!

Yup. Only region I ever saw 'em, and mostly, they blew it up.

whatapiper

Quote from: Pholy M. Pia on May 08, 2012, 02:16:37 AM
Nice! Keeping it local!

I'm up to Fluffhead at the moment and yes, they are blowing it up! Sobel's transfer sounds great too.
beginning to end
we belong

Pholy M. Pia

Quote from: whatapiper on May 08, 2012, 02:19:52 AM
Quote from: Pholy M. Pia on May 08, 2012, 02:16:37 AM
Nice! Keeping it local!

I'm up to Fluffhead at the moment and yes, they are blowing it up! Sobel's transfer sounds great too.

No doubt. I posted late last night while bleary and didn't remember to include the lineage, but yeah, his work is spic n' span clean.

Caravan2001

Pholy M. Pia

Quote from: Caravan2001 on May 08, 2012, 10:50:21 AM
Nice!  Looking forward to it!

As I am yours. Just downloaded and gave it a short taste last pm. Going to be a nice day off. :rawk:

whatapiper

4/5/93 HUB Ballroom, Seattle, WA

Llama- This could be my favorite year for this tune as Page just rages and Trey can play just about anything in and out of...anything.  I'm surprised there is not a Caravan reference at 2:45 because that was ridiculous.   Pure heat to start the show!

It's Ice- Another first set favorite and the boys show us how this one can be done!  Composed sounded just perfect and I love how around 4 minutes you get a good sense how small the room is.  Amazingly this was the first time Llama had preceded Ice.

Fee- Once fish kicks into this one the dream set continues.   As I drool on my keyboard Page continues move me as the band plays this without a hint of sarcasm.

Maze- This must have been a great first show for someone out there as the band continues to play favorites.   Trey builds some nice tension making it look easy and completely effortless.   Short and sweet

Fluffhead- The fun continues and so does the solid effort.  Extremely tight but not perfect early on, however things change fast.   A short ripping version that showcases Trey's dexterity a bit and allows Page to shine evermore. 

Paul and Silas- First bathroom break song over 40 minutes in although I'm not sure I would have wanted to miss this one.

Stash- Back to business and a nice jam emerging at 6:30 that stays within the lines but gets to a frantic jazzy place.   Around 10+ the direction changes playing off the earlier theme  dropping in and out of Stash.  Insane finish

Forbins- Trey is pumped and how could he not be, everyone loves the heat.  Played like a dream despite some idiots in the audience.  Is anyone thirsty?  Am I falling through space?

Mockingbird- Almost perfect and played with emotion, these versions are what it's all about.   Sobel's transfer of Jim Cowan's pull sounds just amazing really capturing the room and not leaving anyone too far back in the mix.

Bowie- How else could they end this set?  Quite the extended intro complete with Simpsons language and a nasty drop into Bowie.   Fish is taking names at this point while Trey runs up and down through the composed with ease.   Really impressive around 9 minutes in and beyond as the band sounds like a machine.   Insane set that was a highlight in of itself being full of heavy hitters and very tight play.

Axilla- miscue to start but still a high octane opener.

Poor Heart- More bluegrass to show off their chops. 

Caravan- The tease comes to fruition, first one since 7/23/91 and a 224 show gap.  Cool Manteca like lead in then a full tease around 4 minutes in.  Big fan!

PYITE- It's easy for me to forget how old this song really is as I associate it more with late 90's Phish.  This is a song that has benefited with a little age and increase in shed size.   Trey has no problem ripping through this one and Page wins as usual.

Tweezer- playful yet tight I really love Mike and Fish on these earlier versions.  Jam starting in around 6 minutes in with Trey playing off his backbone.   Great interplay with Page while building a concise rhythmic jam teasing Caravan once again! 

Glide- Played as intended

YEM- Trey's struggles a bit at the start but quickly recovers.  Cool boy man section and a few teases to follow.   Trey's tone at 11 is what dreams are made of and he continues to steal the show teasing in and out of the YEM theme with a classic rock song I can't think of the name.   Ultra funky and extended breakdown from Mike with some similar teases. 

HYHU- rolls into >

Cracklin Rosie> HYHU - just enough time to hit the head and grab a beer before last call

Tweeprise - Missing the heavy Mike bombs but serves its purpose. 

Carolina- no mics!

Fire- Blistering finish complete with space antelope  dedication. 

Overall the first set is straight fya, holy $hit that was money.   I could have left at that point a happy man.  While fun the second set left me with a little to be desired and lacked the punch and flow of the first.  I will definitely keep this first set on the ipod.  A-

Thanks for the spin!
beginning to end
we belong