News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Dexter

Started by GBL, October 06, 2008, 03:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gol D. Roger

Quote from: GBL on July 09, 2009, 05:08:24 PM

IMO, its the best Showtime series and im pretty sure the next season starts soon.. ?

September 27  :-)
,,Teenage Dreams, So Hard To Beat"

mattstick

I couldn't get into Dexter at all. 

GBL

Quote from: mattstick on July 10, 2009, 08:09:46 AM

Understandable, I had the same problem at first too.
If this is love, I'm never going home..

metalzone58

Quote from: mattstick on July 10, 2009, 08:09:46 AM

same here but my in laws love it

Gol D. Roger

I'm pumped for the season premiere!

rowjimmy

We just finished season 1 via netflix streaming... wow.

ytowndan

It took me a while to get into it too.  I saw one random episode once, and I didn't like it at all.  But, a few months ago I went back and started from the begining, and I loved it.  Can't wait for Sunday!
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

rowjimmy

We don't have Showtime so it wasn't a matter of not getting into it. When we first saw it two weeks ago, we pretty much committed every evening to watching the first season.

Hicks

I watched the first season, but couldn't quite get into it.

It was well done, but I just couldn't really buy the premise of a sociopath that only targets other psychos and is a well adjusted nice guy in every other way.

The development of his relationship with his girlfriend in particular was a bit much for me.  True sociopaths can't "learn" to have feelings for others.   
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Hicks on September 22, 2009, 04:06:51 PM

It was well done, but I just couldn't really buy the premise of a sociopath that only targets other psychos and is a well adjusted nice guy in every other way.

The development of his relationship with his girlfriend in particular was a bit much for me.  True sociopaths can't "learn" to have feelings for others.

I didn't think that he learned to have feelings...yet.
They demonstrate pretty well that he was trained to emulate feelings.
Only in the end, toward his sister does seem he show an truly irrational, involuntary, emotional response. and that, I think is due to the breakthrough in his memory block opening up another part of him...

ytowndan

I disagree.  To be honest, I don't think he shows many characteristics of a "sociopath".  Yes, he's a serial killer ( :lol:), but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a sociopath. 

In his normal "average" life: He has a nice relationship with what's left of his family.  He doesn't have outbursts of rage.  He's capable of holding a job without pushing away his co-workers.  A sociopath is a pathological liar, which he is not (he only lies to cover up things he did, he doesn't lie to better his image, or "one up" people).  They also take what they want, when they want, and he does not do this.  He isn't hostile, manipulative or cunning.  And, most importantly he has a conscience. 

I could go on, but I don't want to give examples or scenarios that could spoil RJ or anyone else. 

Also, I'm not saying that he's right in the head.  Clearly he isn't.  I'm just saying that he is not a textbook sociopath. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Hicks

Quote from: ytowndan on September 23, 2009, 12:34:20 PM

I disagree.  To be honest, I don't think he shows many characteristics of a "sociopath".  Yes, he's a serial killer ( :lol:), but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a sociopath. 

He has a nice relationship with what's left of his family.  He doesn't have outbursts of rage.  He's capable of holding a job without pushing away his co-workers.  A sociopath is a pathological liar, which he is not (he only lies to cover up things he did, he doesn't lie to better his image, or "one up" people).  They also take what they want, when they want, and he does not do this.  He isn't hostile, manipulative or cunning.  And, most importantly he has a conscience. 

I could go on, but I don't want to give examples or scenarios that could spoil RJ or anyone else. 

Also, I'm not saying that he's right in the head.  Clearly he isn't.  I'm just saying that he is not a textbook sociopath.

hmmm, ok the ol' wikipedia says the term psychopath is actually more broad and that most serial killers fall into this category.  So perhaps that's the better term.  In any event, I just couldn't buy the premise that he's been trained by his father to be a "good" psychopath.

I mean if he isn't a psychopath then is he just suffering from PTSD?  I can't really get with that either.   
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Gol D. Roger

Wow! John Lithgow as Trinity Killer, i think this season will be intense.

GBL

Seasons 2 and 3 were incredible, just wait..
If this is love, I'm never going home..

aphineday

This season has started well... I'm pretty into the show, but must confess that I am bigger fan of Michael C. Hall in Six Feet Under... that show was amazing.
Dexter is great though, and John Lithgow just makes it that much better.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...