Author Topic: Yes I have a Mac, where to go from here...  (Read 19285 times)

Offline tet

• you love it
  • r00t@week4paug.net
  • In the Band
    • week4paug.net
Re: Yes I have a Mac, where to go from here...
« Reply #315 on: August 05, 2016, 05:54:50 AM »
I went with a Drobo and haven't looked back... it's a bit of a pain to keep the iTunes library there because then it's not as easily accessible when I travel, but all of my SHNs/FLACs are stored there, and it's super easy to add additional storage or replace failing drives at any time.  They have USB 3 or Thunderbolt versions, but also ones with just Ethernet if you want to run a pure, headless NAS.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

Offline VDB

• In the Band
« Reply #316 on: August 07, 2016, 05:57:10 PM »
I ended up ordering a USB 3 / FW 800 dual drive enclosure. It'll plug into the iMac for media-serving purposes. If I need to play stuff on another Mac I can use Home Sharing, so doing an NAS seemed unnecessary. And rather than be locked into RAID I'll just set a schedule to periodically clone one drive to the other for backup purposes.
there is no explanation
it's all inside your head

de gustibus non disputandum

Offline barnesy305

• Wrote the Book
  • Test me, test me, why don't you arrest me?
« Reply #317 on: September 15, 2016, 11:15:25 PM »
So I have desktop Mac and I haven't used any torrent sites with it yet. Is utorrent and what.cd safe to use with it? Just don't wanna fuck up a brand new machine thanks guys. 

Offline tet

• you love it
  • r00t@week4paug.net
  • In the Band
    • week4paug.net
« Reply #318 on: September 15, 2016, 11:21:55 PM »
Don't use uTorrent, they've got some weird spyware shit going on.  My normal go-to would have been Transmission, as it's slick and has always been really fast, but they also had a very strange infection thing going on the past few months, so just grab Deluge as it's pretty safe and works well enough:  http://deluge-torrent.org 

No problems with what.cd that I'm aware of, so that shouldn't be an issue...
-Phish

Offline ph92

• Wrote the Book
  • bag it, tag it
« Reply #319 on: September 16, 2016, 12:25:28 AM »
So I have desktop Mac and I haven't used any torrent sites with it yet. Is utorrent and what.cd safe to use with it? Just don't wanna fuck up a brand new machine thanks guys. 
Check their white list clients page. I personally love utorrent 3.2.1. Transmission and deluge are both great too. But definitely check which versions are okay with what.cd. I pretty much hate new version of all torrent clients. They keep adding too many features. I like like 3.2.1 for that reason. The best streamlined but fully featured (from a utility standpoint, not bloat) version. But iirc transmission is the go to for mac. I know it is for linux which mac is very similar to
Phish changes the way you listen to music.

I like The Phish from Vermont.

Make America Melt Again!

Offline mattstick

• Server Team
  • Gamehendge
  • Some Rise Some Fall Some Climb
« Reply #320 on: September 16, 2016, 03:46:11 AM »
I use qBittorrent these days...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 04:09:52 AM by mattstick »

Offline tet

• you love it
  • r00t@week4paug.net
  • In the Band
    • week4paug.net
« Reply #321 on: September 16, 2016, 10:34:27 AM »
Check their white list clients page. I personally love utorrent 3.2.1. Transmission and deluge are both great too. But definitely check which versions are okay with what.cd. I pretty much hate new version of all torrent clients. They keep adding too many features. I like like 3.2.1 for that reason. The best streamlined but fully featured (from a utility standpoint, not bloat) version. But iirc transmission is the go to for mac. I know it is for linux which mac is very similar to

Transmission has been infected with viruses twice in the past 6 months, so that is why I am hesitant to suggest it.  They have apparently corrected it once again, but there were some really shady things going on with it for a while... 
-Phish

Offline ph92

• Wrote the Book
  • bag it, tag it
« Reply #322 on: September 16, 2016, 02:40:20 PM »

Transmission has been infected with viruses twice in the past 6 months, so that is why I am hesitant to suggest it.  They have apparently corrected it once again, but there were some really shady things going on with it for a while... 
Ah I see, I know that's the kind of stuff that makes or breaks a version on the what.cd whitelist. Deluge is what I use when I have CLI seedbox/torrent machine going. Deluge has the easiest setup in CLI, very simplistic and powerful!

Make America Melt Again!

Offline barnesy305

• Wrote the Book
  • Test me, test me, why don't you arrest me?
« Reply #323 on: September 16, 2016, 04:25:12 PM »
Awesome,  thanks for the feedback folks!

Offline VDB

• In the Band
« Reply #324 on: November 07, 2016, 11:42:03 PM »
I just accidentally discovered that if you press the up or down arrows while pressing CMD-Tab (to switch between open apps), it'll show you just the windows open in the application icon that you've toggled to.

So that's neat.
there is no explanation

Offline ph92

• Wrote the Book
  • bag it, tag it
« Reply #325 on: November 08, 2016, 11:22:06 AM »
Yes I have a New MacBook Pro, where to go from here...

I guess not be able to use your USB devices without a dongle...

Or buy a second pair of headphones cause your lighning cable ones don't work...

Take out a loan to buy dongles...

On the plus side, there's a neat app control bar at the top of your keyboard.

I do have to admit, though, they do look nice aesthetically
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 11:24:50 AM by ph92 »

Make America Melt Again!

Offline VDB

• In the Band
« Reply #326 on: November 08, 2016, 12:34:17 PM »
Apple is taking a lot of flack over the new MacBook Pros, and very rightly so (in my opinion). Here's a good roundup of some reactions, if you're interested.

Suffice it to say, I'll be hanging on to my mid-2012 workhorse as long as possible.
there is no explanation

Offline slslbs

• Gamehendge
  • Let there be songs to fill the air
    • music list
« Reply #327 on: November 08, 2016, 01:09:27 PM »
Interesting
I just got a MBP in June and had it customized to 16 mb of RAM and 1 tb of HD. Glad I did.

I have been using Pages, Numbers, and Keynote - I like them better than the Office versions.  I may switch back just in case...
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."