News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

The new 'Paug Media Center - share music, photos, videos, and files

Started by guyforget, February 06, 2010, 03:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guyforget

'Paug Media Center

Now theres a way to more easily share media with each other on the 'paug, at the 'Paug Media Center.

There are 5 "Public" albums for sharing different types of media. 

The 'Paug Public Phish Photo Album is for sharing your photos taken at Phish concerts.  You dont have to have taken the photo, it just needs to be of Phish.  Please keep this to actual photos, and not other types of image like animated images or collages.  Max dimension is 3648 on any side.  I can up this if needed.  You must have at least 50 posts to upload a photo to this album.  Users with 300 or more posts get their images auto-approved.  Users with 299 or less must wait for approval before their images are viewable by other members. 

The 'Paug Public Phish mp3 Album is for sharing LEGAL [NO LIVEPHISH.COM SBD's or LIVEPHISH CD RIPS] Phish audio files.  Max file size is 99MB.  You must have 300 or more posts to add audio to this album. 

The 'Paug Public Phish YouTube Video Album is an album where you can embed youtube videos.  These should be at or about Phish or Phish shows.  Please stay on topic. 

The 'Paug Public Random Images Album is where you can post those animated images, those often used images from around the forum, extra smileys, facepalms, lolcats, you get the picture...  You must have at least 50 posts to upload a photo to this album.  Users with 300 or more posts get their images auto-approved.  Users with 299 or less must wait for approval before their images are viewable by other members. 

The 'Paug Public Legal (non-Phish) mp3 Album is where you post any LEGAL non-Phish .mp3's that you would like to share.  Max filesize is 99MB.  Users must have 300 or more posts to upload to this album. 

PLEASE APPROPRIATELY NAME AND DESCRIBE THE FILES THAT YOU UPLOAD!!

Attaching icon images is also nice, but not entirely necessary.  But, some anal retentive admin is probably going to come in behind you and do it anyway, so save us some time and please do it yourself. 

NOTE ABOUT AUDIO FILES in either audio album, or any you create of your own

Currently only .mp3 is supported.  This will be changed shortly. 

Personal Albums

Users with 300 or more posts can create their own personal albums.  If you have a lot of photos that you have taken that you want to share, you can make your own photo album.  If youve taped or transferred or mastered a couple of shows and want to share some mp3s, make your own album and share them there.  If you have a ton of videos that youve taped and uploaded to youtube, make your own album and embed them there.  Posts links to your personal albums in your forums signature. 

Usage of the 'Paug Media Center

Beyond just having the albums to browse and enjoy, they also make it stupidly easy to embed your media into posts around the forum.  From every individual item page you can watch or listen to the files, but you can also rate them, as well as grab that item's "BBC embed code". 

To attach this mp3, I would use this code which is taken from the file's "BBC embed code" field:

[smg id=35 type=av]

Which would embed that mp3 into the thread, as seen here:

[smg id=35 type=av]

If I want to embed this photo, I would use this code, which is taken from the image's "BBC embed code" field:

[smg id=38]

Which would post:

[smg id=38]

PROBLEM WITH EMBEDDING YOUTUBE VIDEOS FROM OUR ALBUM TO THREADS

Currently, there are errors if you embed a youtube video into an album in the Media Center and then use the "BBC embed code" code to embed it into a thread.  It will not even let you make the post.  This is of little consequence, because youtube videos are automatically embedded if you just post the link to the video.  In fact, it will automatically embed videos from quite a few sites, so if you have a flash video on some random site, you can post the link and it might just embed automatically. 

Please use these new features.  If youre a "power user," make an album and upload your photos.  Upload some videos youve shot, or link to some of your youtubes.  If youre always posting images instead of actually talking, stick them all in the random gallery so that we can all use them to easily mock you.  If youre listening to a hawt jam on your walkman, rip that shit and upload it for the rest of us.  Then post a sweet blog, and embed the mp3 at the top as the soundtrack.  Youre so fuckin emo. 

-AD_

guyforget

We should have some standard for naming, especially for mp3s.

For the Non-Phish mp3 album, the first part of the name should definitely be the band name, so that all files stay organized by band.  I think we should go w/ something like "Grateful Dead 1988-07-11 Stella Blue."

For Phish mp3s, should we start w/ the name of the song, so that all songs are grouped together, or start w/ the date so that files from the same show are kept together?  What if someone uploads a full set as one file, then we obviously shouldnt start w/ the name of the first song, so Im inclined to think we should label by date. 

So, maybe Tweezer 1993-08-06 SBD should be made to 1993-08-06 Tweezer SBD?
Sanity 8/5/88 [From The Archives 12/30/07] could become 1988-08-05 Sanity FTA 2007-12-30

-AD_

mistercharlie

Quote from: guyforget on February 06, 2010, 01:27:26 PM
We should have some standard for naming, especially for mp3s.

For the Non-Phish mp3 album, the first part of the name should definitely be the band name, so that all files stay organized by band.  I think we should go w/ something like "Grateful Dead 1988-07-11 Stella Blue."

For Phish mp3s, should we start w/ the name of the song, so that all songs are grouped together, or start w/ the date so that files from the same show are kept together?  What if someone uploads a full set as one file, then we obviously shouldnt start w/ the name of the first song, so Im inclined to think we should label by date. 

So, maybe Tweezer 1993-08-06 SBD should be made to 1993-08-06 Tweezer SBD?
Sanity 8/5/88 [From The Archives 12/30/07] could become 1988-08-05 Sanity FTA 2007-12-30

Keeping it organized by date first for Phish and Band then Date for other bands sounds good to me.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

WhatstheUse?

This all seems pretty nifty, good work Guyforget....

Paug 3.0 !!!!  :-o
Bring in the dude!

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

I could use a touch more space per file so as to get my mixes uploaded.
I think the largest of mine would fall under 115MB.

guyforget

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 07, 2010, 04:58:12 PM
I could use a touch more space per file so as to get my mixes uploaded.
I think the largest of mine would fall under 115MB.

ok, done. 

ive been uploading full shows.  its really easy to pull them from that phish mp3 google spreadsheet and upload them. 

should i make an album for each show, or should i just leave all of the tracks in one album, sorted by date?
-AD_

rowjimmy

Thanks.

Etree naming would allow those shows to sit nicely in one album.

guyforget

-AD_

mistercharlie

I just came up with a great idea, one who's use is still some time away, but a great idea none the less.

When summer tour starts we can use this forum for 'Source Comparisons' so that people can figure out which source they like for a particular show before downloading every source and then comparing them that way. I bet it would save us all a great deal of time. Hell, we could even do it for the Trey and Mike solo tours if there is enough interest.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

kellerb

Quote from: Mistercharlie on February 10, 2010, 06:06:26 PM
I just came up with a great idea, one who's use is still some time away, but a great idea none the less.

When summer tour starts we can use this forum for 'Source Comparisons' so that people can figure out which source they like for a particular show before downloading every source and then comparing them that way. I bet it would save us all a great deal of time. Hell, we could even do it for the Trey and Mike solo tours if there is enough interest.
tasty.  Like, a one-song or 30-second soundbite of each source?

guyforget

for sure

itll also be pretty awesome for the post-show review threads, embed a track, give a time-stamp, and everyone can hear what youre hearing without downloading or opening another app, etc. 

should i turn comments on?  or should we start a "media center general discussion thread" so people can post random shit about random shit?

should we have 1 "announce" thread for all music that gets uploaded? 

i added some of the new trey tracks to the non-phish album. 

[smg id=539 type=av]
-AD_

kellerb

Quote from: guyforget on February 10, 2010, 07:14:26 PM

for sure

itll also be pretty awesome for the post-show review threads, embed a track, give a time-stamp, and everyone can hear what youre hearing without downloading or opening another app, etc. 

should i turn comments on?  or should we start a "media center general discussion thread" so people can post random shit about random shit?

should we have 1 "announce" thread for all music that gets uploaded? 

i added some of the new trey tracks to the non-phish album. 

[smg id=539 type=av]

Don't start a media-center discussion thread.  A.  that's caturday.  B.  I figure most media posted here will probably be linked into specific threads.  This is not facebook et al, its not a media storage center.  I figure its more for uploading things that are already relevant to other stuff on the paug.

Do turn on comments (for photos at least).  I just enjoy doing this when I'm drunk.  Like now.

Don't bother with an Announce thread unless it automatically "announces" mp3s.  Most people who upload mp3s will probably mention so in the appropriate places.  On the other hand, we could have an ongoing debate thread about whatever is recently uploaded.  So maybe an announce thread would be fun.  "Right now I'm Uploading"

mistercharlie

I think comments on would be kinda cool. I've noticed that I had the option to leave them but refrained beacuse I knew not everyone could.

Also, I was thinking of making a third 'Paug Public mp3 Album for Phish Side Projects.

kellerb

Quote from: Mistercharlie on February 10, 2010, 07:30:24 PM
I think comments on would be kinda cool. I've noticed that I had the option to leave them but refrained beacuse I knew not everyone could.

Also, I was thinking of making a third 'Paug Public mp3 Album for Phish Side Projects.

In said picture, you seem to be singing "Don't Stop Believin'"

OBV, you should hold on to that feelin