News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

GDead Thread

Started by VA $l!m, August 26, 2005, 06:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

When does the next 7" drop?

Hicks

Quote from: mattstick on May 12, 2017, 02:50:58 PM
When does the next 7" drop?

Gotta be soon but haven't heard anything. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

PIE-GUY

This all sounds vaguely familiar...

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

emay

seeing it at Red Rocks tomorrow! Stoked!

mehead

Quote from: emayPhishyCO on May 24, 2017, 11:27:46 AM

that's going to be rather awesome
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

PIE-GUY

Quote from: mehead on May 24, 2017, 11:37:50 AM
Quote from: emayPhishyCO on May 24, 2017, 11:27:46 AM

that's going to be rather awesome

That is pretty cool - I'm seeing it at my local Alamo Drafthouse. Pretty pumped. Already decided I need to uber over there as four hours of beer could take a toll.

pcr3

"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

sls.stormyrider

I usually don't like "best of" lists, this is a damn good one.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

natronzero

Yes indeed, that 2-2-68 Viola is the shit. Got me back in a good Primal trip for the last couple of days.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

Hicks

Saw the movie and it was mostly great, I won't say it felt short, because 4 hours is a long time to sit in a theater.  But I will say that it definitely needed to be that long to do the story justice.  Some of the footage from the acid tests and other early days shows was pretty awesome to see. 

A couple thoughts: 

There are some conspicuous absences like Betty Cantor, Dan Healy, Mountain Girl, all not even metioned much less interviewed and I was surprised that they didn't have Dave Lemiuex chime in on anything.   Also, I guess they got Robert Hunter to sit (or lay as the case may be) for an interview but only 10 seconds or so were usable? 

The part with Barbara Meier at the end was heartbreaking

Did not know that Dennis McNally is now some unholy hybrid of Johnny Carson and Casey Kasem

The stuff with Sam Cutler and Steve Parish was gold and was the source of most of the information I didn't already know

Franken 2020!
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

emay

Agreed with everything Hicks said.

Wall of Sound tour sounds very tiring for those roadies. I am sure almost all tours were pretty intense but seemed like that wall of sound was crazy to set up with the amount of roadies they had on staff at the time, and the parts about how the union workers would be flabbergasted from all the equipment they were bringing in for a rock concert.

The interviews with Jerry were great. All the questions on deadheads and responsibility kinda bounce off him. He never wanted to be the leader of that many people, just the band. It def took its toll on him.

mbw

Healy and MG 'declined to participate.'

PIE-GUY

It was a very Jerry-centric telling of the GD story, much in the same way Bittersweet Motel is a very Trey-centric look at Phish. I've seen Amir interviews about it and he says, basically, that he tried to make a good movie first and foremost. To do that you need to follow the dramatic arc of the story - and Jerry's is the most interesting arc. That leaves a lot out.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: PIE-GUY on May 26, 2017, 02:43:12 PM
It was a very Jerry-centric telling of the GD story, much in the same way Bittersweet Motel is a very Trey-centric look at Phish. I've seen Amir interviews about it and he says, basically, that he tried to make a good movie first and foremost. To do that you need to follow the dramatic arc of the story - and Jerry's is the most interesting arc. That leaves a lot out.

Then why not make a Jerry biopic?

ETA. Haven't seen it yet so...
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Hicks

No TC, Hornsby or Vince either which is kinda nuts.