News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Organization

Started by jedifunk, August 31, 2005, 01:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

Ok this thread is about how best to go about organizing everything.

-how will cross references be dealt with
-standards (ie: > vs. –>)
-song names (ie: character zero vs. zero vs. 0 )
-etc
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jedifunk

jephrey- are you interested in heading up the organization part, or at least the setlists since you've got a great idea on how to list/organize/view them?  that would be great
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

I'd love to...  I explained to jedi in a PM that if I do lead this, I won't let any personal preference get in the way and all formatting decisions will be decided democratically, with my vot counting the same as anyone elses.  I wouldn't mind coming up with the "song" format as well.  Simply because this is where abbreviations will come from.  I'll look into some of the other sites and the companion and Pharmers and see what there is to see, suggest some things, ask for suggestions, and then put together a couple polls.  After that, I can make a proposal up and we can modify it from there.  some initial ideas.

Setlist.
To look similar to a text file because then you can copy/paste it if you do your own type of thing with your text file.  It'd be cool if there was a text file generator that would put together the data of the setlist and allow a download to your desktop.
To contain the songs as links so that you can get to the songs easily
to contain the venues as links
To show some of the same info as the Pharmers (ticket price, venue capacity/sold, availability)
Availability would be like a general availability and also a current availability at bt.etree.
Link to the database to check out the sources.
Notes:  Stats (last played if over 100 shows ago), Debuts, teases, Banter.  I always thought I heard the beginnings of a future song in the jam of another that was played earlier, that'd be a cool note.
Pictures, reviews, and stories with ratings.  Highest rated would be shown on the setlist page.  With "more" link underneath.
Show rating.  You can personally rate your 5 favorites giving them 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 points.

Personally, I like a separate page for each setlist but have found the many to a page to be a possible advantage.  Then again, if you can do a nice search on any field, there should be no need to rumble through a bunch of lists.

Any ideas along these lines?  Against?  Additional?  Not needed? 

other things >

song name > (name space greater than for a gozinto) - gozinto is not decided by overlapping of songs necessarily, but the unfinishing of one or the starting not at the beginning of the other, or both. 

Jams are decided by the group.  LivePhish uses "Jam" loosely.  It could easily be part of the song.  The Pharmer's almost never uses it.  I generally don't like it, but we should decide as a whole.  I think it should only be there when the jam is pretty much its own entity.

Songs.
Again, I have had only exposure to the Pharmers but I like their song stats.  It's basically a little description and then some statistics.  We could have more or less.  Along with the preceeding and following songs, a link to the setlist page?  A link to the music?  Maybe lyrics right there?

Maybe unrelated but I like the idea of a yearly stats page and a tour stats page like the pages that preceed each year in the pharmers.  Like if you typed in a year in search or a tour in search instead of an exact date.

OK, so this is a start albeit small for the magnitude of what's possible.  Please let me know what your prefs are.

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jedifunk

QuotePersonally, I like a separate page for each setlist but have found the many to a page to be a possible advantage.  Then again, if you can do a nice search on any field, there should be no need to rumble through a bunch of lists.

i think perhaps we should have both?  maybe a "at a glance" all on one page style, and an in depth page for each show... who knows.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

I think having both is key.
Scrolling through a page of setlists is great and lots of fun when you're simply looking at shows, thinking about what they sounded like andwhatnot. then, you should be able to click on the showdate and get the single page, vertical setlist with notations and whatnot.

jephrey

True...  setlists category which basically shows them all and then each one individually.  Can we do it only entering the data once?

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jedifunk

Quote from: jephrey on September 01, 2005, 05:07:09 PM
Can we do it only entering the data once?

not sure i understand what your asking
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

Meaning, you enter the setlist on its page (say the pages are called out by show date...  formatted 1998-04-02 for instance)...  Then, it shows up in line with all the others on the "setlists" page.  BTW, how do you create a page?

Jephrey

jephrey

nevermind... got it  do a search on 1998-04-02.  I'll be editing this one as time goes on to what we want.  Right now it's just text

jephrey

how the hell do I do a carriage return without using stars to make bullets?  Making all of the setlist pages is going to be a task, but once we start, it'll be okay.  we are basically making shitloads of pages with cross linking.  I guess that's cool.  I could make a page called "ass" if I wanted and just enter a definition and have pics and links.  I suppose we'll all need to learn a little coding so we can have pictures and whatnot.  It'd also be nice to pull info from another page which is coding, not that easy.

Jephrey

jedifunk

well, before you go too far please read these links:
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_i18n

http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_User%27s_Guide

that way we can all be on track together.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

jedifunk

have you checked out the User Guide section on formatting?  they have the ability to use templates!  definitely have a look at whats possible and how to do it effeciently.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

yeah, yeah, I am just jumping the gun a bit.  Foolin around.  But as far as organization goes.  I have changed my mind and no longer like the table format.  I'd like to see if peeps would like the old

2007-08-24

Jephrey's house

Soundcheck: Jephrey's house Jam > Tube > Fire
Set 1: Mike's > Hydrogen > Weekapaug, Reba, First Tube, Runaway Jim, Guyute, Antelope > Jam > Antelope
Set 2: Another One Bites the Dust > Gumbo, Peaches, AC/DC Bag, Forbin's > Mockingbird, YEM
Encore: Mellow Mood

Notes: Private party for the Wikipaug contributors at Jephrey's house.  Mellow Mood requested by the neighbors.  The beginning of set 2 is eerily similar to 1999-09-14.  Jam in Antelope contained guitar that sounded like the riff from "semen".   

(semen is a song that Phish releases in 2010, obviously someone was listening to this show and noticed that and updated the notes later on)

Then pictures links and stories.  I'll check out the templates, set this aside and do some reading.

Jephrey

jedifunk

well, i think a nice compact setlist is good.  i dont want a long drawn out list.  BUT, i do want to try to have song times included, i think thats a great addition that no one else has.

Quotesong name > (name space greater than for a gozinto) - gozinto is not decided by overlapping of songs necessarily, but the unfinishing of one or the starting not at the beginning of the other, or both.
i think that we should employ both > and ->, or if you notice in the wiki Users Guide, they have an arrow that would be great for the -> stuff.

QuoteJams are decided by the group.  LivePhish uses "Jam" loosely.  It could easily be part of the song.  The Pharmer's almost never uses it.  I generally don't like it, but we should decide as a whole.  I think it should only be there when the jam is pretty much its own entity.
i also agree that LP uses "jam" (crosseyed->noblesville jam) was too loosely.  unless it is something unto itself i feel like it should be part of the song from whence it came (crosseyed, NOT crosseyed->noblesville jam).

QuoteMaybe unrelated but I like the idea of a yearly stats page and a tour stats page like the pages that preceed each year in the pharmers.  Like if you typed in a year in search or a tour in search instead of an exact date.
YES, i too love the yearly stats stuff.  especially the "representative songs" part.  also i like the idea of us picking those as well as the top 10 shows from that year, and the top 5 underrated/hidden jems.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

I like the times, that's cool, but do we need t for every song?  Maybe just notably long or short ones in the notes?  Anyone else have an opinion on this.  Personally, either is cool, after thinking about it, I am probably leaning towards putting them all in there.  Maybe we can compact the list (meaning put it in paragraph style) and put the times in but will that be too cluttered?

What's the difference between > and ->?  should there be?  Maybe we should just use that arrow.  &arr: or whatever.

Jephrey