News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

The WOB tax works in your favor

Started by guyforget, December 05, 2004, 12:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

digs5446

ytowndan  - OK so i have no clue how you do multiple quotes like that, so I will just say:

I know which shnid's all of my downloads are, whether the torrent was labeled that way or i can refer to the lineage in the text file and match it up in the db with the proper shnid.  So no worries there.

"In both cases make sure you verify the ffp's, to make sure the files weren't altered in any way."

Not sure how one does that.  Please advise.

"What I'd recommend is that you start keeping your filesets the same way they were when you downloaded them.  Archive them on DVD or an external HD, and then do whatever you want for your own listening purposes.  That way you'll have a copy of the original fileset that you can share down the line."

The tricky thing with that is that I definitely want to keep a FLAC copy of shows that were originally in SHN so i can listen to them on my portable (FLAC-enabled) and be able to click and play the files through my PC speakers...which I don't think you can do w/ SHN files, can you?

I guess the option most helpful to others would be to archive all the SHNs I proceed to get from this point forward onto dual-layer DVDs or something...that way I have a re-seedable file and the converted FLACs on my PC.

Thanks for the info, I really really appreciate it.  I think there are lots of folks who really do want to be more helpful with seeding...and may be decent enough with computers, but this whole torrent/multiple formats/checksums/etc business can be pretty heavy for the uninitiated.  Even though there are "how to" guides out there, they're usually still not dumbed down enough to be helpful to us simple folk  :cry:

ytowndan

For verifying checksum files (.ffp .md5) I recommend grabbing trader's little helper.
http://tlh.easytree.org/

Grab the checksum file(s) off of the database, and replace the checksum files you already have in your folder with the new ones from the database.  Then just open the program, drag and drop the checksum file, and hit verify.  You'll see the program running/reading through the files for that folder.  It's making sure the data in the checksum file matches the data in the actual shn/flac files.  If it verifies then you know that what you have is identical to the original fileset, and it's good to seed. 

As far as playing shn files on your PC, you have 2 options.  Winamp and Foobar.  They both have shn plugins.  I'd recommend foobar, because it's more lightweight, and it's shn plugin is better than winamp's.  It'll allow you to seek (ff or rw) through the old shn files that don't have seek tables (many of the older shn filesets don't).  Winamp's shn plugin will not allow that.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

digs5446

wow, thanks ytowndan!  never knew SHNs were click-playable. :beers:

EDIT - just installed Foobar and the SHN plug-in, can't tell you how nice it is to click a SHN file and listen right away!  I know I must sound a few years behind.   Definitely going to keep a seperate archive of the SHNs i download in the future so I can help people out with reseeds.  Cheers.

disco

dan- I've tried the flac>wav>shn>>>>>>flac and have not gotten the same FFp, not sure if there is a trick to making it happen but I'd prefer people dont do that. After all it's unnecessary steps...
..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

ytowndan

Quote from: disco on January 14, 2010, 12:57:15 AM
dan- I've tried the flac>wav>shn>>>>>>flac and have not gotten the same FFp, not sure if there is a trick to making it happen but I'd prefer people dont do that. After all it's unnecessary steps...

Thanks, John.  Like I said, I wasn't sure, but I didn't think that would work.  Thanks for clarifying.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

jasonsobel

Quote from: ytowndan on January 14, 2010, 01:29:28 AM
Quote from: disco on January 14, 2010, 12:57:15 AM

Thanks, John.  Like I said, I wasn't sure, but I didn't think that would work.  Thanks for clarifying.

FLAC>WAV>SHN>WAV>FLAC
and/or
SHN>WAV>FLAC>WAV>SHN

both of the above scenarios should work, as both FLAC and SHN format are lossless and the audio is not changed with either format.  however, there are several reasons why original checksums wouldn't pass if everything isn't done exactly the same.

let's just look at SHN>WAV>FLAC>WAV>SHN, for example.

header info.  the SHN format kept whataver non-standard header info might have been present in the original WAV file.  the FLAC format always strips non-standard header info upon compression.  So if the original SHN file had non-standard header info, which was then removed when converting to FLAC, it won't be there when converted back to SHN.   Or, maybe the original SHN didn't have seek tables appended, and the new SHN file does has seek tables appended.  Or, maybe there were sector-boundary errors (SBE's) with the original SHN files, and when encoded to FLAC the box "fix SBE's" was checked, so now that is fixed and different.  All of these things would result in different md5's of the whole file, although the audio content is the same.

so, all this said, while it should be possible to do several sets of conversions with no change to the files, there are many things that could make the end outcome different from the original.  I'm sure there are more than what I listed above, and therefore, it's definitely not recommended to do.  but it certainly is possible, under the right circumstances.
sing me back home before I die