News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Entering Setlists

Started by jephrey, September 15, 2005, 12:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jephrey

Entering Setlists...  Ok, here's the deal.

1.  Go to the overall setlists page and hit edit.  Scroll down to your year and type in/paste the setlist. Pasting from something like the mockingbird setlists works well although you will have a little formatting to do, but a lot less than any other time.  Really watch to make sure you have proper formatting and full song names.  The [[whatever]] is a link to a wiki page so those braces surround every song name.  the ===date=== actually creates a "section" which would be listed at the top had I not turned it off, we may do something with it later.  Then determine what kind of arrows to use if not a comma.  I check a few different setlist sites and use common sense and what I remember if I had just listened to the show.  In fact, that's probably the best way, take notes as you listen.  The arrows are created with → Save it and then go check it out.

2.  Go copy the code for an individual setlist page from a previous entry.  Click on the date you just created and go edit the page and paste.  Look in there for things that you will change.  The top section is actually a template, Just change the date and venue.  The setlist, I found, is easiest if you copy/paste from the thing you just created, then put the cursor in and hit enter and enter the track#, then go back and paste that
 at the end of each line.  I made the notes section from a few sources.  I decided that it would be better to only mention "first time played since" if it's over 100 shows, but we can argue that.  If a song has an extended jam, I note that and the track length.  If a song is cut short or with alternate lyrics, that's in there.  All teases are in quotes.  Like "Mozambique" tease in Llama.  If you hear a song jammed before its release date, that gets a mention.  The next sections, just make sure you have the right link by checking it out after you save.  Other ideas always welcome.

3.  It'd be a good idea to do songs at the same time.  As they fill up, you'll only have to add the instance from your show to that song's page.  Until then, you'll have to create the song page.  I haven't done this but for 2 songs so far so lets button it down.

4.  Check your brother's work.  Post back here, maybe in a sticky, everything you create and the others will check it out.  If there is any question, like, "Should its be capitalized in the title to My Mind's?", or should that arrow be a >, ask it.  We gotta get this uniform.  Most formatting you can get from a previous page, but we've gotta ask questions.

Please look at what's there and ask ask many questions as you can think of, I'll hold off a bit until I get some feedback.

1998-04-02
1998-04-03
1998-04-04
1998-04-05
Tube
PYITE (Oh, redirects.  If you type in PYITE, it'll take you to Punch You in the Eye.  Once there, you click on the re-directed link to view how the re-direct is set up for abbreviations.  This is in case someone does a search, it'll take them right to it.  There's a way to do it for dates that's easier, but we'll figure that later.)
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jedifunk

ok, are we sure we wanna just take from the mockingbird?  shouldnt we contact them or something?
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

Ok, just re-type it :wink:

Think about it, we could take the text from anywhere, it's just so we don't have to type.  The setlist isn't going to change and we still have to add our own formatting and our own arrows and such.  I have used the copy/paste, but with modifications, it's like I never did it.

In addition, we need to get uploading allowed so we can put images in...  In 1998-04-02, I put an image from another site in a table that was aligned to the right, as well as a link to an internal uploaded image.  We'll take the external one out as soon as uploading is turned on.  If you click on the link, it says it's turned off.  I think that the right side of the page should have an image of the ticket stub...

Edit:  If we have image uploading turned on, we can basically make the ticket stubs a standard size because you can make internal image links into a selected width thumbnail.  So can we get that turned on?

j
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jedifunk

i've got ticket stubs for almost every show i've been too.  thats roughly 185 stubs i'm guessing.
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jedifunk

ok, so i entered my 1st setlist (1997-12-13)...

a bit more work than i expected, but i'll get a rhythm down.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

jedifunk

we'll definitely need to come up with our own stuff for the show notes from each show.  we dont want to directly rip that off from hpb or mockingbird...
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

Absolutely...  Our notes are in list format, which is good.  It's not the same.  I added my first show 1994-11-28 with a ticket stub.  I think that it should be entered as I have it, as a thumbnail, with a max width so everything's kosher across all pages.  I am checking yours out and will post comments...

1.  In the overall setlists section, put the double braces around each song so that you can link to them right there.  It's quick.

2.  Your notes.  Every song name should be in [[song]] format so you can link to it anywhere.  What's the smallest gap we should mention?  I thought 100 shows was cool, but we could go down to 50 or something (you mention that Catapult was 60...  How many phans really want to see that unless it's huge.  Maybe it's even better to do by date.  100 shows could be 1 year in 94/95, but 2/3 in 97/99.  What are your thoughts?

3.  The db links.  Your format is ok, but let's do something different than what either of us have...  Check out what I put for 1994-11-28 and tell me what you think.  Originally, I was just putting the show link and letting the user get to the sources from there.  If we put each source link, they should be more descriptive.  Now that I think of it, why don't we just link to the show only.  Because we don't want to have to update the wiki every time a source is added.  Instead, it is one click away and the user can see all of the available sources by clicking on the show...  Dig?  So I vote for sticking with what I had previously.  What do you think?

Let me know.

Jephrey

jedifunk

man formatting this bitch is gonna be the biggest pain in the ass!

Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

jedifunk

i also cant get the link to the DB to work right... i tried to copy & paste from what you had and then just change the date, but it still goes to the 94 show.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

btw...  i added the image of the stub to every setlist in there.  what you do is get your stub, save it as png/jpg using the naming format yyyymmddstub.xxx  for 2-day tix, just make it like dddd or something.T hen go to the individual setlist page and change the code it to exactly that name.  Save it and you should link to a blank image page.  Upload your image and there'll be a link back to the setlist you just came from.  I made it to scale the picture down to 100 pixels.  Let's discuss if it should be more.  It's tiny on the 23" but I haven't seen it on the 12" and imagine 100pixels to be fine.  Personally, I'd be OK with more.  We can also make it a thumbnail instead of just a scaled image, but I think it's fine.  We could put more images down the right side using a table but I think we should keep it at this.  Dissenting opinions welcome.

Let's discuss.

Jephrey

jedifunk

i also think on the main setlist page, that we need to tighten up each setlist by taking out the return between each set/encore, by using

see how i did it with 12/13/97
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

got a minute?  PM me your phone # and I'll call you

10:36 central

jedifunk

i think it should be a bit bigger, maybe 200 or 250.  set it up and i'll take another look.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

jedifunk

still at work, but we could IM when i get home.  see my AIM name below or in my profile.

i'll be home by 11pm CST
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

don't have aim set up and just posting back and forth here could accomplish the same.  Just trying to get something quicker.

J