News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

10/20 - Utica Memorial Aud. - Guyutica, NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by rowjimmy, October 20, 2010, 11:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

I don't see how vamping on the same chord progression as the song they were playing  is really a "jam".

To me it's when they leave the structure of the song behind entirely that they really are jamming, which is fairly rare these days.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

McGrupp

Quote from: Hicks on November 07, 2010, 06:15:21 PM
I don't see how vamping on the same chord progression as the song they were playing  is really a "jam".

To me it's when they leave the structure of the song behind entirely that they really are jamming, which is fairly rare these days.

I'm kinda with WTU on this one - I tend to call the "trey solo" (usually end section) part of a song, the "jam".

Isn't this why we refer to "jams" as type I, type II, etc?

Chalkdust could be 7 minutes long - and I may refer to trey's solo as the "jam", or simply as "trey's solo" - I tend to use the two interchangeably in these types of circumstances.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: McGrupp on November 08, 2010, 09:48:48 AM

I'm kinda with WTU on this one - I tend to call the "trey solo" (usually end section) part of a song, the "jam".

Chalkdust could be 7 minutes long - and I may refer to trey's solo as the "jam", or simply as "trey's solo" - I tend to use the two interchangeably in these types of circumstances.

This.

Bring in the dude!

ph92

Quote from: McGrupp on November 08, 2010, 09:48:48 AM

I agree with it also, I just think, if it's improv, then its a jam.

/0.02
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

redrum

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on November 13, 2010, 05:55:54 PM
This is easily the most creative Antelope jam of 3.0

thelot came by my house today. we were saying the same thing.
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

burmesepython

Quote from: sprobeck on October 31, 2010, 12:29:38 AM
Good Times Bad Times is a very appropriate encore to this show. It really describes it well.  I enjoyed the McGrupp,  Birds and Piper but Tela was off, and I didn't care for the split Melt. Why does Trey have to cut the song off after 7 minutes to go into Have Mercy? What's the hurry? I'd rather him let the jam develop a bit, close it out and then go on from there. Melt reprise was flat and left me cold. Slave was pretty and well done.

This take surprises me. The Have Mercy w/ the vocal jam to segue in was flat out beautiful. I've never heard them do that with Have Mercy before. I hear where you're coming from in a general sense on cutting the jam off... but Have Mercy IS the jam... that is what developed! As opposed to meandering... Trey found a way for the jam to develop into another song. This again IS jamming. The jam doesn't have to consist of one long progression or series of progressions with in the framework of the original song for a jam to work... at least for me... and the band. Mercy is beautiful throughout and the Piper is exploratory w/ a rad late Birds tease. Also thought the return to Melt was choice... not flat at all. It was collectively worked out of Piper and again really worked for me... and the band.

You're spot on about the Slave though... shit rips. For those that haven't listened in a while pay particular attention to Trey's slay work right about the 9min mark... babies are made to that shit.

thatfargone

I think its funny someone is mad a standard SOAM was cutoff by some of the best improv of 3.0
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

danje