Author Topic: Gun Talk Re: have you heard about...?  (Read 25695 times)

Offline gah

• Dans et hors du foyer, le temps tourne le temps, élastiques virages
  • Gamehendge
  • The circus is the place for me....
Re: Gun Talk Re: have you heard about...?
« Reply #720 on: February 19, 2018, 01:00:09 PM »

Do I write my congressman?

Yes

Eta:  also, vote out all the politicians beholden to the NRA, and not to the safety of your kids.
these things.

The fact that schools nowadays have lock down drills for active shooter scenarios is.....insane.  :shakehead:
Youshould see the ALICE drills that my wife, a kindergarten teacher, and her colleagues have to endure. They instruct them how to barricade against and defend against active shooters. It involves police officers forcibly entering their classrooms and “killing” them with a yardstick. Horrifying for anyone. Now imagine them instructing her how to teach 5 year olds to go on the offensive in last ditch efforts. This whole situation is unimaginable, but here we are.

I admit, I just had to look up ALICE drills, and didn't even know these drills existed until this weekend. How fucking insane is that this is the world we live in today? And talk about mental illness...you think this isn't contributing to an entire generation of kids growing up with some level of PTSD, and/or constant state of fear that something like this could happen in their schools, wtf! And I KNOW I can't be the only one that has had that thought run across my mind, even in passing, while at a concert, or a movie theater, or a crowded festival or outdoor event, that some shit like that could go down. It might be an irrational fear, and infinitesimally small chance of ever occurring, but I'd be lying if I said I've never thought that. And you got kids growing up with that kind of shit?  :shakehead:

MAGA! 'Murica!
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Offline khalpin

• In the Band
« Reply #721 on: February 19, 2018, 04:13:35 PM »

Do I write my congressman?

Yes

Eta:  also, vote out all the politicians beholden to the NRA, and not to the safety of your kids.
these things.

The fact that schools nowadays have lock down drills for active shooter scenarios is.....insane.  :shakehead:
Youshould see the ALICE drills that my wife, a kindergarten teacher, and her colleagues have to endure. They instruct them how to barricade against and defend against active shooters. It involves police officers forcibly entering their classrooms and “killing” them with a yardstick. Horrifying for anyone. Now imagine them instructing her how to teach 5 year olds to go on the offensive in last ditch efforts. This whole situation is unimaginable, but here we are.

I admit, I just had to look up ALICE drills, and didn't even know these drills existed until this weekend. How fucking insane is that this is the world we live in today? And talk about mental illness...you think this isn't contributing to an entire generation of kids growing up with some level of PTSD, and/or constant state of fear that something like this could happen in their schools, wtf! And I KNOW I can't be the only one that has had that thought run across my mind, even in passing, while at a concert, or a movie theater, or a crowded festival or outdoor event, that some shit like that could go down. It might be an irrational fear, and infinitesimally small chance of ever occurring, but I'd be lying if I said I've never thought that. And you got kids growing up with that kind of shit?  :shakehead:

MAGA! 'Murica!
I think of it anytime I'm at a concert or sporting event.

On another note, I found out yesterday how easy it is to call your congressman. Dial 202-224-3121 and enter your zip code.  That's it.

Offline gah

• Dans et hors du foyer, le temps tourne le temps, élastiques virages
  • Gamehendge
  • The circus is the place for me....
« Reply #722 on: February 19, 2018, 04:53:09 PM »
You can also find them by just typing in your zip code here:

https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative

You can then also type in your reps name here to find out how much they've received from the gun lobby:

https://www.politico.com/interactives/2017/gun-lobbying-spending-in-america-congress/

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Offline PIE-GUY

• Gamehendge
  • Something's happening.
    • My Shows
« Reply #723 on: Yesterday at 04:47:15 PM »
I wrote a thing - please like and share!!

https://www.facebook.com/dave.anderso/posts/10155534430146645
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul