News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Have you heard about...? (Politics edition)

Started by VDB, November 30, 2010, 10:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoW

Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

sunrisevt

Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: mbw on March 02, 2017, 11:00:00 AM
remember when Romney said Russia was our number 1 enemy and the dems laughed and laughed and called him a novice and said he needs to stop watching Rocky 4 and that Ronnie Reagan called and wants his foreign policy back?

just sayin'

I don't think any of them said Putin is our best friend.
and this of course is before the Russians hacked the DNC

Whether Putin is our friend or not, Sessions allegedly lied to the Senate, I'm assuming under oath.
Not the 1st time a politician has lied, but at a Senate hearing.
this is different
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mattstick

DoW

Quote from: slslbs on March 02, 2017, 01:20:02 PM
remember when Romney said Russia was our number 1 enemy and the dems laughed and laughed and called him a novice and said he needs to stop watching Rocky 4 and that Ronnie Reagan called and wants his foreign policy back?

just sayin'

Whether Putin is our friend or not, Sessions allegedly lied to the Senate, I'm assuming under oath.
this is different
I'm not going to speak for what mbw was trying to say.  he can speak for himself.
I recently discussed this similar topic with someone.
I think there is a lot of legitimacy to the point that a party and the supporters of the party can be so dismissive when the other party makes a point.  however, when something happens that is negative towards that other party, they are quick to jump on the bandwagon.

both parties do this.
hell, I face this pretty much every day in life as well at work having nothing to do with politics.  people will agree or disagree with anything and everything and change their tune when it is beneficial to them.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

mbw

Quote from: DoW on March 02, 2017, 01:43:13 PM
Quote from: slslbs on March 02, 2017, 01:20:02 PM

just sayin'

this is different
I'm not going to speak for what mbw was trying to say.  he can speak for himself.
I recently discussed this similar topic with someone.
I think there is a lot of legitimacy to the point that a party and the supporters of the party can be so dismissive when the other party makes a point.  however, when something happens that is negative towards that other party, they are quick to jump on the bandwagon.

both parties do this.
hell, I face this pretty much every day in life as well at work having nothing to do with politics.  people will agree or disagree with anything and everything and change their tune when it is beneficial to them.

that was my point, yes.

gah

Quote from: sunrisevt on March 02, 2017, 01:13:49 PM
Quote from: mattstick on March 02, 2017, 12:38:47 PM
Sean Spicer was the White House Easter Bunny during the Bush admin? lolol

https://twitter.com/Rschooley/status/835646967506071552/photo/1

http://www.avclub.com/article/sean-spicers-tragic-fall-grace-white-house-easter--251358

http://www.politico.com/blogs/anneschroeder/0308/Shenanigans_The_sexy_politics_oxymoron.html

Holy shit.

Hilarious!  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Also, great start to a sentence...."Sean Spicer, the holy fool of the Russian tragedy novel that is our current existence, has been a reliable source of comic pathos ever since his first appearance as press secretary..."
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mattstick

Getting a little concerned about the rollbacks on Environmental laws dudes.

You can fuck around with your borders or whatever but when you start dumping toxic shit in the Great Lakes so Trump and his Russian Oligarchs can make a few more billion, I'm gonna be real pissed.

mattstick

Almost a week and nobody's complaining anymore?  Trump burn-out set in quick.

VDB

People had Trump fatigue before he was even elected. It may actually be part of his overall strategy (certainly part of his success, if you ask me): throw so much noise out there that nothing sticks out anymore. Things that would sink an ordinary politician ("Grab em by the pussy," anyone?) just blend into his expanding medley of horrors. Best not to toss all your outrage eggs in one basket, now! Save some energy up for the next catastrophe! And on and on.
Is this still Wombat?

gah

There's so many story lines going right now, and I agree, it's part of their strategy, but where do you even begin to talk about it all? I think the administration is so unfocused that even someone with ADHD couldn't keep up with all the varying affronts to the public at large. And don't forget, he's still got an approval rating hovering around 45%, and (around 85-90% among republicans).

russia, health care, wiretapping, russia, new immigration ban and immigration reform, border wall, budget cuts across the board, except the military, russia,  increased spending and "win more wars" on the agenda, dismantling the epa, denying climate change, creating tensions with our NATO allies, creating tension in Asia with China/South Korea, North Korea continued missile attempts, shady business deals all over the world starting to come out, russia, etc....that's just off the top of my head.

But whats the point or arguing or discussing any of it? The Republicans in the House and Senate are straight up pussies, minus the occasional mccain and graham, and aren't going to stand up and say anything or do anything until it's too late, because they think they can get their agenda's pushed through before the train derails.

And for all those that voted for him, doesn't appear to be much, or rather, enough, buyers remorse despite his clear lack of understanding how the government works, or having the mental maturity or capability to be president. And so we're stuck, for now, with a nation falling further in the worlds standing.

As someone said recently on a podcast I was listening to, seems like the world is preparing for war...and it seems we already are really, in a war of ideals, autocracy/kleptocracy vs. democracy, and unfortunately, it doesn't appear that we'll be on the side of democracy for too much longer (years?) if we allow this administration to continue in this way....then again, who knows what tomorrow holds.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mbw

Resistbot will fax your texts into your congress people.
Cool.

https://resistbot.io/

ytowndan

Quote from: gah on March 09, 2017, 02:46:36 PM
There's so many story lines going right now, and I agree, it's part of their strategy, but where do you even begin to talk about it all? I think the administration is so unfocused that even someone with ADHD couldn't keep up with all the varying affronts to the public at large. And don't forget, he's still got an approval rating hovering around 45%, and (around 85-90% among republicans).

russia, health care, wiretapping, russia, new immigration ban and immigration reform, border wall, budget cuts across the board, except the military, russia,  increased spending and "win more wars" on the agenda, dismantling the epa, denying climate change, creating tensions with our NATO allies, creating tension in Asia with China/South Korea, North Korea continued missile attempts, shady business deals all over the world starting to come out, russia, etc....that's just off the top of my head.

But whats the point or arguing or discussing any of it? The Republicans in the House and Senate are straight up pussies, minus the occasional mccain and graham, and aren't going to stand up and say anything or do anything until it's too late, because they think they can get their agenda's pushed through before the train derails.

And for all those that voted for him, doesn't appear to be much, or rather, enough, buyers remorse despite his clear lack of understanding how the government works, or having the mental maturity or capability to be president. And so we're stuck, for now, with a nation falling further in the worlds standing.

As someone said recently on a podcast I was listening to, seems like the world is preparing for war...and it seems we already are really, in a war of ideals, autocracy/kleptocracy vs. democracy, and unfortunately, it doesn't appear that we'll be on the side of democracy for too much longer (years?) if we allow this administration to continue in this way....then again, who knows what tomorrow holds.

I agree with everything you said, but I especially relate to the part I put in bold.  It pretty much sums up my feelings about the whole "Trump burnout" thing that Matt brought up.  It almost feels pointless, you know?  I mean, what can you really do? 

Two of my three peeps in Congress (US Senator Sherrod Brown and US Rep Tim Ryan) are solid progressives, so I really don't have to worry about them.  My other Senator (Rob Portman) can, at times, be a kinda-sorta sane person.  So he can be persuaded on certain issues and a phone call can never hurt (although, let's be honest, it isn't really going to help either). 

I guess the occasional donation to the ACLU, Planned Parenthood, and/or the SPLC will always help, but I'm not really in a position to be doing much of that.

Voting is the only weapon I have that can actually make a difference.  And, in between elections, especially ones that don't go my way, I tend to get angry when I think about politics.  Angry, of course, at my general sense of powerlessness.  Because, until the next time my polling place is open, I have no way to do anything about it.  At least nothing of actual consequence. 

But, I'm also angry at the fact that, yet again, we have a President whom the majority of the nation did not vote for, and whose policies go against not only the values we supposedly hold dear, but the wishes of the majority of the population he supposedly serves.  It enrages me thinking about how quickly we all seemed to move on.  People were annoyed for, what, like a week about this and then just accepted it.  It should have never been accepted in the first place.  We should have been apoplectic about the fact that our bullshit system allows the runner-up to assume the presidency. 

And what really bugs me about it is that most people agree.  It's not that the general public rabidly defends our system for reasons of strict ideological federalism, or whatever, it's because they're apathetic.  They say, when you press them, that they'd love a better, more democratic system.  But then they follow that up with, "but what are ya gonna do?  It is what it is!" 

Anyhow, for the two or three of you who are still reading this, sorry for the long rant.  I just wanted to throw in my two cents about "Trump burnout."  It's clearly not that I don't care, it's just that I feel like there's nothing I can do at this time.  This is probably why I've been reading so much fiction lately.  Escapism is so tempting these days.  I'd much rather bury my nose in a novel than browse the headlines of the Times or the Post.  I've have to practically force myself to catch up on the news three or four times a week since the election...it's something I approach reluctantly and with a sense of dread.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.