News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

The Dark Tower

Started by mistercharlie, January 13, 2011, 11:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

Well, we now know who will be playing Roland. It's our 'friend-o' Javier Bardem. He's no Clint Eastwood (which is who I always pictured Roland to be when reading) but I think he'll do a pretty good job.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

fauxpaxfauxreal

Count me in the "skeptical" camp.

I'm a fan of the books, and Stephen King's writing in general.  However, most of his adaptations suck, imo.

I'm not a fan of the "It" miniseries or *gasp* "The Stand" miniseries.  I don't think I've liked a movie of his on the big screen since around "Misery".  I think most of his adaptations are "decent" but add absolutely nothing to books and frustrate the hell out of me.

Mostly, I despise his work for ABC.

Maybe with Ron Howard at the helm, and working with NBC as opposed to ABC, things might be different, but I'm not going to psyche myself out over it.

I'd like for these to be bad ass, but I'm not holding my breath, if you know what I mean.

mistercharlie

I know I've mentioned that there has been talk of an 8th Dark Tower book before, but I just found this little tid-bit:
Wind Through The Keyhole Announcement

Dark Tower book 4.5 so to speak. I'm as excited as a crazed billy-bumbler, kennit. And I'll be ready and raring to read it when it comes out, you can set your watch and warrant by it.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

fauxpaxfauxreal

mistercharlie

Only one week until The Wind Through The Keyhole is released!!

I've already got mine preordered and it'll be here on the day it's released. I can't wait to journey back to Mid-World.

kellerb

Quote from: mistercharlie on April 17, 2012, 04:45:15 AM

I've already got mine preordered and it'll be here on the day it's released. I can't wait to journey back to Mid-World.

Nice reminder!  I'll have to be picking that up too

Mr Minor

Quote from: kellerb on April 17, 2012, 10:02:18 AM
Quote from: mistercharlie on April 17, 2012, 04:45:15 AM

Nice reminder!  I'll have to be picking that up too

Perfect timing.  I need a quick break from Game of Thrones series (getting ready to start book 4) so this will be perfect!

mistercharlie

Well here we are six years later and we finally have this...

birdman

I heard the movie doesn't feature Eddie, Susanna, or OY. Hence the movie is worthless in my eyes. Nothing like skipping over the whole KaTet thing. :samurai:
Paug FTMFW!

mistercharlie

Quote from: birdman on June 15, 2017, 06:04:26 AM
I heard the movie doesn't feature Eddie, Susanna, or OY. Hence the movie is worthless in my eyes. Nothing like skipping over the whole KaTet thing. :samurai:

The movie is billed as "The last time around the wheel". King has made it clear that this is a continuation/actual end of the story and not a translation of the books.

birdman

Quote from: mistercharlie on June 15, 2017, 09:45:11 AM

The movie is billed as "The last time around the wheel". King has made it clear that this is a continuation/actual end of the story and not a translation of the books.
well I'm going to turn my back and ignore it
Paug FTMFW!

mistercharlie

Quote from: birdman on June 15, 2017, 12:18:03 PM

You made a wise choice. I'd give it a Meh to a Meh-. It featured things you'd know from the books and covered entire books in the matter of a few minutes. Definitely glad I didn't go to the theater to see it.

kellerb

Quote from: mistercharlie on October 18, 2017, 09:20:05 PM
Quote from: birdman on June 15, 2017, 12:18:03 PM

You made a wise choice. I'd give it a Meh to a Meh-. It featured things you'd know from the books and covered entire books in the matter of a few minutes. Definitely glad I didn't go to the theater to see it.

<late review>

I and the gal did see this in the theatre. I turned her on the Dark Tower back in college.  I had to wait for "the Wastelands" to be written; I've been following these books for a few decades.
I'd give it a D+ as a Dark Tower movie, and maybe a B- if you pretend it isn't a Dark Tower movie.

the acting is great - Idris, Wooderson, and Jake-kid all hit the note. Excellent casting.

In my opinion, they made one huge mistake that sort of fucked up the whole thing.

[spoiler]Roland needs to let Jake die/drop to his death under the mountain.  Their whole relationship for the rest of the story is based on that.  And Roland's growth as a human, too.[/spoiler]

They skip/change that, and don't explain how the "Sequel/Horn of Eld" effect makes it valid.

All the other bits that they changed or nabbed from later books (portals~thinny's/Sombra/Can-Toi people/Jake's dad situation) are fine.  That's all valid . Even Wooderson's death (as long as he's not actually dead).

But seriously, the one spoiler change up there throws it all out of whack.

mistercharlie

That spoiler Keller mentioned was one of my biggest qualms with it as well.