News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Elite 8 - Round 4 - Abbey Road Region - 1-The Beatles v 2-Pink Floyd

Started by UncleEbinezer, March 30, 2011, 10:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phuzzyfish12

sophist

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on March 30, 2011, 11:39:43 PM
Quote from: susep73 on March 30, 2011, 11:19:10 PM
The Beatles.  I really dig Pink Floyd but their early Syd stuff was weak sauce in that they sound like a punk band, loud and obnoxious before they evolved into their more cerebral approach and styles of music/expression.  The Beatles were an orbital or two above(or below depending on your atomic perspective) the Floyd.  Its like comparing minor league vs. major league, the best analogy.

a lot of people prefer college ball over the pros.
end sports analogies/

i think the early syd stuff is is just as ground breaking as the beatles jump into psychedelia or what have you, if not more.
i just hope this doesnt dissolve into people calling each other idiots if they happen to disagree....
Interesting perspective Terry. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

khalpin

Quote from: sophist on March 31, 2011, 10:00:15 AM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on March 30, 2011, 11:39:43 PM
Quote from: susep73 on March 30, 2011, 11:19:10 PM
The Beatles.  I really dig Pink Floyd but their early Syd stuff was weak sauce in that they sound like a punk band, loud and obnoxious before they evolved into their more cerebral approach and styles of music/expression.  The Beatles were an orbital or two above(or below depending on your atomic perspective) the Floyd.  Its like comparing minor league vs. major league, the best analogy.

a lot of people prefer college ball over the pros.
end sports analogies/

i think the early syd stuff is is just as ground breaking as the beatles jump into psychedelia or what have you, if not more.
i just hope this doesnt dissolve into people calling each other idiots if they happen to disagree....
Interesting perspective Terry.
Indeed!

rowjimmy

PIE-GUY

Susep, I almost find it hard to express how much I disagree with you. I love the Syd Barret stuff and think Floyd went down hill after his departure. Dark Side is epic, for sure, but then they just turned into this bloated monster that took itself way to seriously. just my opinion, obviously. ymmv.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

At the point when they built a physical representation of Roger Water's ego on the stage...

They lost me.

kellerb

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 31, 2011, 11:12:11 AM
At the point when they built a physical representation of Roger Water's ego on the stage...

They lost me.

Are you talking about the wall, or the walking, talking ass?

Pholy M. Pia

Toughest call for me so far. These are both bands that I grew up hearing *so* much that it got to the point of it being almost invisible(inaudible?). Then, there was that dead show lot experience in 88...... And then I heard the Beatles and Floyd in a way that made more sense. It was like seeing what had been right in front of me. They are both very important to me.
Beatles got my vote in the end. More heart in it.
Sorry Pink. :cry:
"Be in your own movie." - Ken Kesey

rowjimmy

Quote from: kellerb on March 31, 2011, 11:40:28 AM

They lost me.

Are you talking about the wall, or the walking, talking ass?

Yes

guyforget

roger doing the wall last fall was one of the best concerts ive ever seen

and ive seen a few...
-AD_

qop24

They lost me.

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

rowjimmy

Quote from: guyforget on March 31, 2011, 12:46:54 PM

and ive seen a few...

Doesn't mean that the music/lyrics aren't whiny pretentious bullshit.

iamhydroJen

"Years later, I found out they'd signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.  The head of Decca, Dick Rowe, made a canny prediction: 'Guitar groups are on the way out, Mr. Epstein.'" - George Harrison

guyforget

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 31, 2011, 01:04:33 PM
Quote from: guyforget on March 31, 2011, 12:46:54 PM

and ive seen a few...

Doesn't mean that the music/lyrics aren't whiny pretentious bullshit.

which is why i hadnt listened to pf or the wall specifically for many, many years.   but the show helped contextualize some of it for me and i left thinking it was less whiny and pretentious than i have since i got jaded on pf. 
-AD_