News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

It's here, iPod Video!!!!

Started by jephrey, October 12, 2005, 03:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jephrey

Well, my christmas present is available at apple.com

http://www.apple.com

Not to mention the new "Front Row" feature that turns your mac into your home media center. 

WOW!

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jonyem

Looks very cool.
the 60 gig model sells for the same price that I bought my 4G 40 gig grey screen a year ago.
Oh well  :roll:

mattstick

looks awsome, I can't wait to see what they've come up with when it's time to upgrade my iPod next June!

jephrey

I just went to the music store...  You can buy episodes of Lost for $1.99.  I know a dvr etc can get them for you too, or you can grab episodes from "not so secret" bt sites, but the simplicity of this is ridiculous, just download and watch.  I might try it just to check the quality etc.  I wonder if any of you know the difference between mpeg and avi (quality wise).  I have been watching avi episodes.  They were recorded from an HD broadcast but I don't think normal recorders capture the HD.  they are about 350M each, so I wonder how these turn out, if apple uses the bt protocol for file downloading (I suppose that would have to pull stuff from your box and you'd have to give permissions), and what size they are.  Hmmmmmmmmm

So I'll be grabbing the DWD video when it comes out for the pod!

Today is a good day.

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jedifunk

well, i gotta say i'm a bit underwhelmed and disappointed by the new announcements today...

video ipod is cool, but totally useless afaic... why would you want to watch a movie on a 2.5" screen???  if i'm travelling i'll just pull out my powerbook and watch on a widescreen at a size i can see.

now if they had announce the ipod video with an 80 or 100GB HD, then i'd be all about it.  for me the ipod is my music source, nothing more (although i could see using the photo option if i had a ipod with color screen)...

i need more storage space to hold all my music, not the ability to play videos and movies.  just me though.  i'm sure they'll sell through the roof.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

VA $l!m

i personally agree with jedi;
my girlfriend is getting a Zen vision, which is sort of comprable i think, but i told her that was cool just as long as your not sacrificing musical capabilities...i think it has the most storage of their models though, so maybe its win-win situation, if you got the duckets
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

jephrey

Bigger picture here.  I also don't give a crap about watching a movie on a 2.5" screen.  I also know that 60G isn't huge by any means.  But if I can bring my home movies, other movies and tv shows anywhere, have them all in the one player and plug that thing into someone's VCR or into a small screen in the car, then I am satisfied.  I think that we all know that this was the next logical step (although I thought it would come with an HD upgrade).

Jedi, for my previously mentioned reasons, I can't see why youd think it to be useless.  It's like saying why do I want to listen to music on an iPod, when I can play the same thing on my boombox???  It's simple.  It's smaller, lighter, and you can also plug it into other devices and in your car.  I also used to think that the photo thing was a waste.  Maybe the screen is a waste???  Always use a peripheral AV device?  Wait, that's the mini :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

I agree with the storage space thing although I'm not close to that yet.  I'm an all or nothing guy.  I am ok with keeping everything in aac/mp3 and rotating shows in lossless in and out of the pod until I can fit something like a Terabyte on there.

Jephrey

VA $l!m

hey, could someone help explain something to my technologically challenged self...

so my girl is looking  at the vid ipod now instead of the creative, b/c it has dbl the storage i believe, and that's good, BUT neither of us is sure how the PC compatability thing works... :?...does a person need a mac to use an ipod?

someone please try and school my ignorant ass what the situation is with the software or whatever one uses to DL music to the player.

thanx. slim.

jedifunk

no mac needed... they make em for pc too, and itunes for windows as well.
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

VA $l!m

so no extra hassle w/ the ipod then, if she uses a PC?? --just a matter of preference ?

so what do you think, should she get the vid ipod60 g??
--or is there something better for just music??

i really know jack sh-- about this stuff
thanx again.slim.

jephrey

Well, others have put down the pod in comparison to others, but there are some benefits. 

It's an apple product which means easy to use for tech-challenged folks like yourself?
60G is a nice bit of storage (even though many are looking for an 80-100G model)
iTunes, which is fine on windows is a great place to catalog all your music as well as download those little tidbits from the music store.

Obvously the big added feature for this model is the video, which you may or may not "need", but the video is also integrated into iTunes, which is a great place to keep a movie library as well.  And not that you'd watch video on the small screen, but even a 2 hour movie would consume less than 1G of space (using mpeg4-level 10/h.264 video) allowing you to bring movies to friends' houses etc without dealing with discs, just an adapter cable.

Only downsides...  No gapless playback (it's a tiny skip between tracks), and there's a limited number of filetypes it will play. 

For just music, I'd still go with it, but I'm sure there are others who would choose something different

VA $l!m

thanx jeph!!

yeah , personally i might just go for a straight music player, but this is my girl's b-day present from her dad, and he's willing to spend the cash, so she figures ...'what the hell' , might as well get the vid ipod if she's not payin for it.

and i sorta agree as long as there isnt  a way to spend the same amount of cash and get a helluva lot better set up for music only.

But from looking at the specs , on the sites i've found, as much as i can understand the 60Gvidipod is a pretty sweet machine...

and as long as she can put mp3 versions of shows on there , she'll be happy...the gaps she'll be able to live with-----i'm not sure but does anybody know if ther is a player that can play tracks w/out the gaps??

anyway, i appreciate the feedback, and if there is anyone who wants to suggest any other products, please do!!
slim. :mrgreen:

jedifunk

well, it doesnt HAVE to be used for video... its still an iPod to begin with.

60 gigs is 60 gigs... use it however you see fit.  i would buy one and not use it for anything but music.  i need more space than my 40G can store, and so the 60G looks attractive to me, but i'll probably hold out for a 80-100G version.  and they will all be video iPods now, but i'd probably never use it that way.  maybe a small amount for some photos of my kid and wife, but not much more than simply music.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

ucusty

what formats of movies will it play?

ucusty

since my ipod just died two weeks after the warranty expired, im in the market for a new one...  im just not too happy with apple right now.  they basically told me they dont stand behind their products once the warranty expires.  they wont even try to repair the dang thing.
oh well