News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Umphrey's McGee

Started by macaronihead, June 19, 2011, 12:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Quote from: Hicks on April 30, 2012, 03:08:14 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on April 30, 2012, 03:05:55 PM
Quote from: macaronihead on April 30, 2012, 02:27:44 PM
You guys realize all that 'Chicago' song really was to them was a fat check, right? They may have written the lyrics down but there's no way they had free reign. It blows, its not real UM.

Sooooo, they're sell outs? Or they don't really care about their city enough that they'd be willing to rip off the taxpayers money for a "fat check"? They don't have enough self dignity to write something they can at least be proud of and not make fun of on youtube just a few days later? I couldn't care less, I'm just saying, trying to defend it as if they did it for the money's worse than writing a lame tune. That'd just be sad really.

Don't be such a hypocrite, you were fully willing to look the other way when Phish wrote that lame ass "It's Burly in Burlington" jingle!

it's true. But that line about "come hang with us in our nec, nec, neck of the woods, at nec, nec, nectars" was money though!
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

barnesy305

Why didn't they just have Wilco do "Via Chicago" and call it a fucking day?

gah

Quote from: barnesy305 on April 30, 2012, 09:48:42 PM
Why didn't they just have Wilco do "Via Chicago" and call it a fucking day?

Something about "dreamed about killing you" that didn't sit well with the board.  :-P
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Lifeboy

Looks like they played Help > Slipknot! the other night.

Pretty cool...

eta - and Night Nurse
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

sophist

Link to cheese dick cover of dead tunes? 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Lifeboy

Quote from: sophist on April 30, 2012, 11:47:30 PM
Link to cheese dick cover of dead tunes?

I just saw it on livedownloads.com..... I'm not gonna pay for it or anything. Just thought that the face they played it was neat. My buddy plays keys for a band that opens for them when they come to Tulsa, or anywhere nearby and the guitarist for his band taught Jake how to play Slipknot the night of the Tulsa show. Too bad they didn't play it that night.

I'm sure it was a less than phenomenal performance, and it wasn't jammed, so I'm in no hurry to listen.

They can jam though.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

Lifeboy

oops, did I get -k'd for that post?

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

McGrupp

Quote from: Lifeboy on April 30, 2012, 11:53:30 PM
oops, did I get -k'd for that post?

maybe you'd get fewer -k's if you didn't make it so clear how much you care about it.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

WhatstheUse?

I've never felt like UM reaaally jammed in the way that I view "jamming"

as far as getting way type 2, balls to the wall, throwing caution to the wind type jamming... they dont do it, imo

It's all so structured and perfect.  Yes, they are improvising, yes, they are extremely technically talented musicians. Too talented for their own good if you ask me.
Bring in the dude!

Lifeboy

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on May 01, 2012, 12:06:32 AM

as far as getting way type 2, balls to the wall, throwing caution to the wind type jamming... they dont do it, imo

It's all so structured and perfect.  Yes, they are improvising, yes, they are extremely technically talented musicians. Too talented for their own good if you ask me.

I'll give you that. There is definitely no type II "out there" jamming. I just like the dance-y type grove they get into sometimes. It makes for a fun show.

That said, I'm never that psyched to listen to it outside of the actual show.

George - yeah, maybe. +k for caring 

WhatstheUse?

I have seen then get groovy. He's a very talented drummer.
Bring in the dude!

Lifeboy

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on May 01, 2012, 12:11:12 AM
I have seen then get groovy. He's a very talented drummer.

indeed.

like I said, UM is not the first band I choose to listen to when sitting at home or driving in my car, but when they are having a "groove" type night at a show, it's a fucking blast to dance to with a bunch of pretty broads.

that's why they're so hit or miss to me, bc some nights, they get into a real "heavy metal" type style of playing, and well..... those shows just aren't as enjoyable to me.

kellerb

Well, they do the type of jamming where they completely leave the structure of the song and spontaneously improvise new chord progressions, melodies, etc.  Isn't that type II?  Yes, it's often so polished that you can't tell whether or not it was pre-planned...

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: kellerb on May 01, 2012, 12:06:14 PM

Well, they do the type of jamming where they completely leave the structure of the song and spontaneously improvise new chord progressions, melodies, etc.  Isn't that type II?  Yes, it's often so polished that you can't tell whether or not it was pre-planned...

True, they definitely do do what you said.

Maybe it's just the way they approach jamming that feels unorganic to me. I know they sometimes use a talkback mic onstage to plan out progressions/directions for the jam..... which again, isn't really a "bad" thing, it just adds to the polished-ness.
Bring in the dude!