News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Umphrey's McGee

Started by macaronihead, June 19, 2011, 12:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

It's too organized.  That's what I don't like about it.  It always sounds like a song structure, they never reach a place of being other-worldly with their music. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

VDB

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on May 01, 2012, 12:12:59 PM
Quote from: kellerb on May 01, 2012, 12:06:14 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on May 01, 2012, 12:06:32 AM
I've never felt like UM reaaally jammed in the way that I view "jamming"

as far as getting way type 2, balls to the wall, throwing caution to the wind type jamming... they dont do it, imo

It's all so structured and perfect.  Yes, they are improvising, yes, they are extremely technically talented musicians. Too talented for their own good if you ask me.

Well, they do the type of jamming where they completely leave the structure of the song and spontaneously improvise new chord progressions, melodies, etc.  Isn't that type II?  Yes, it's often so polished that you can't tell whether or not it was pre-planned...

True, they definitely do do what you said.

Maybe it's just the way they approach jamming that feels unorganic to me. I know they sometimes use a talkback mic onstage to plan out progressions/directions for the jam..... which again, isn't really a "bad" thing, it just adds to the polished-ness.

Heh, you said "do do"...
Is this still Wombat?

kellerb

Quote from: sophist on May 01, 2012, 01:28:41 PM
It's too organized.  That's what I don't like about it.  It always sounds like a song structure, they never reach a place of being other-worldly with their music.

I think that's pretty much what Scott is saying too.  The type II doesn't sound Type II, it sounds composed.

Lifeboy

I think those are the sections they title "Jimmy Stewart." they signal to each other each time they change chords or whatever.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

sophist

Quote from: kellerb on May 01, 2012, 09:09:40 PM
Quote from: sophist on May 01, 2012, 01:28:41 PM

I think that's pretty much what Scott is saying too.  The type II doesn't sound Type II, it sounds composed.
Right.  And I know that is also what UM is going for as they have called their style "Improg" on numerous occasions. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

macaronihead

Quote from: goodabouthood on April 30, 2012, 03:05:55 PM
Quote from: macaronihead on April 30, 2012, 02:27:44 PM
You guys realize all that 'Chicago' song really was to them was a fat check, right? They may have written the lyrics down but there's no way they had free reign. It blows, its not real UM.

Sooooo, they're sell outs? Or they don't really care about their city enough that they'd be willing to rip off the taxpayers money for a "fat check"? They don't have enough self dignity to write something they can at least be proud of and not make fun of on youtube just a few days later? I couldn't care less, I'm just saying, trying to defend it as if they did it for the money's worse than writing a lame tune. That'd just be sad really.

I didn't mean they did it just for the money. I'm sure they thought it was a cool way to help out the city of Chicago. What I'm saying is I doubt they had very much freedom with the lyrics. There's no way they think its a lyrical masterpiece. The tourism company probably had ideas they wanted them to incorporate already. They didn't write it for their fans or themselves, they wrote it for the tourism company/Chicago.

Also, I was in no way trying to defend that flaming piece of shit, just trying to make people realize its not really an Umphrey's McGee song.

macaronihead

Quote from: Lifeboy on May 01, 2012, 10:47:55 PM
I think those are the sections they title "Jimmy Stewart." they signal to each other each time they change chords or whatever.

stews are basically jams that get away from the song structure. Sometimes they are completely improvised, sometimes they are composed, sometimes they use a composed stew and then tweak it and create something new from there.

sometimes "jimmy stewarts" aren't labeled on the livedownload.coms because they are implied depending upon the song too.

DoW

bumping this for macaronihead.
they are playing a 725 person capacity venue in providence on 1/19.  it's at the fete ballroom.  I was in the fete lounge last weekend and it was a cool place to see a show.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

whatapiper

Still have yet to see these guys, am I missing anything?  They are coming through Seattle this Spring...
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

DoW

Quote from: whatapiper on December 16, 2012, 08:32:17 PM
Still have yet to see these guys, am I missing anything?  They are coming through Seattle this Spring...
I wouldn;t say you are missing anything.
I see them when they pass through.  I just love seeing live music.  I see music most weekends and not every show I see is epic and I am fine with that.  UM is never going to be epic to me but I'll still go.
plus, I just have tremendous respect that they still offer multiple guest list spots for tapers.  a band their size doesn't need to give any spots but they give multiple spots for every show.  I just find that very respectful.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

whatapiper

Quote from: DoW on December 16, 2012, 08:39:33 PM
I wouldn;t say you are missing anything.
I see them when they pass through.  I just love seeing live music.  I see music most weekends and not every show I see is epic and I am fine with that.  UM is never going to be epic to me but I'll still go.
plus, I just have tremendous respect that they still offer multiple guest list spots for tapers.  a band their size doesn't need to give any spots but they give multiple spots for every show.  I just find that very respectful.

Nice, I'll probably jump on it this time around as what else do I have to do in March?  I've just never really heard that big a fanfare over them so never pulled the trigger.
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Undermind

I saw them for the first time in early November.  I agree that I didn't find it epic, but I had a good time.  I would go see them again when they come back to Maine. 
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

macaronihead

Quote from: DoW on December 07, 2012, 11:09:49 AM
bumping this for macaronihead.
they are playing a 725 person capacity venue in providence on 1/19.  it's at the fete ballroom.  I was in the fete lounge last weekend and it was a cool place to see a show.

Got my ticket already! and for their first time playing The Beacon the night before.

I'd say you actually are missing something. UM is pretty much their own genre. On any given night you'll hear rawk/progg/metal/funk/dub/folk/jazz/space/untz/classic covers. SO there's always something for everyone. Whether it all will be your cup of tea at that given show, I don't know, but I'll find it very hard to believe that you won't enjoy some of it . There will most certainly be more improv than at any 3.0 Phish show (minus a select few, obviously)  The light show is always top notch as well.

Itsnotanexperience

to each their own i suppose.

UM is a great live band and they often crank the intensity in much the way a good house or techno dj, using pre-composed material, can up the intensity in a room.    Not every band can create genuine compelling improv on a level that approaches the Dead or Phish....so to me, the next best thing is to sketch a few idea backstage and take it to the stage.   UM does this well.   For what its worth they reduce the wank factor quite a bit using the stew process.   I also enjoy a lot of their songs although most pre-mantis stuff.

Have fun..........they're are as good a bar band as you'll ever see:)

sophist

McGLEE on deck tonight for me. 

My good buddy, Jules, is raging it with me.  Been a minute since we partied, so I'm looking forward to that.  I'll report back after the show (especially if McGLEE sways me from full-on hater to unrealistically impressed  :wink: ).