News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12, 13, 20 years ago we were .....

Started by lifeboy13, July 23, 2011, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbw

Quote from: VDB on November 17, 2017, 10:31:40 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on November 16, 2017, 09:36:50 PM
Quote from: birdman on November 16, 2017, 08:42:27 PM
In 96 we drove to New Orleans from Nashville to see phish play jazz fest. Stayed one nights with pieguys grandmom, saw the show and drove back to school for my psychological anthropology final. Studied all the way down and back. Crushed that test. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything

Y'all aren't in this pic because you didn't stay for the next day... but this is from that trip. That's my Granny Becky in the middle.

What a bunch of hippies.

That's pretty awesome.

a veritable forest of female armpit hair.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: mbw on November 17, 2017, 12:35:39 PM
Quote from: VDB on November 17, 2017, 10:31:40 AM
Quote from: birdman on November 16, 2017, 08:42:27 PM
In 96 we drove to New Orleans from Nashville to see phish play jazz fest. Stayed one nights with pieguys grandmom, saw the show and drove back to school for my psychological anthropology final. Studied all the way down and back. Crushed that test. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything

Y'all aren't in this pic because you didn't stay for the next day... but this is from that trip. That's my Granny Becky in the middle.

What a bunch of hippies.

That's pretty awesome.

a veritable forest of female armpit hair.

It's so funny because I was her youngest grandchild and all of my cousins would come down for Mardi Gras or whatever and stay with her to party in NOLA for years before me... and they were all tri-Delts at Ole Miss and shit... so when we showed up Granny Becky said something like "I don't know how we're gonna work out this shower schedule because I don't think my water heater has a big enough tank for all you nice young ladies to wash your hair."

And all of us just burst out laughing. Not sure any one of us even took a single shower that weekend.

Also, just before we left to head into NOLA for the day on Saturday Granny Becky said to all of us, "Tomorrow is Sunday which means I'll be going to church at 10am. If y'all are back by then you're welcome to join me."

So, apparently, all those tri-Delts partied pretty hard.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Bobafett

Tri-delt...everyone else has!

Ole miss/ oxford was the humboldt of the south back then!
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

anthrax

20 years ago today i had a keg party at my apartment and then walked to a phish show.  that is all.

mistercharlie

Quote from: anthrax on November 19, 2017, 10:10:51 AM
20 years ago today i had a keg party at my apartment and then walked to a phish show.  that is all.
I was there (the show, not Jeff's party), it was surreal that night. The boomers mixed with the FANTASTIC playing by the band really made for one hell of an experience. One of my personal favorite nights of Phishdom.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

jam>

That's a 90's guy/girl ratio right there.

Also, the only two shows I saw Fall 97 tour were Denver. Both nights were great. Then again, so was what I saw in Summer 97 and December 97. Not sure it seemed over the top exceptional at the time – just very f'n good.

ph92

Quote from: jam> on November 21, 2017, 02:25:47 PM

Also, the only two shows I saw Fall 97 tour were Denver. Both nights were great. Then again, so was what I saw in Summer 97 and December 97. Not sure it seemed over the top exceptional at the time – just very f'n good.
I often wonder for you old timers. When you were seeing them in the years that are now known as "the best years" 94, 95, 97. Did you guys think they were slaying it? Was it how we see it now? Or is hindsight 20/20 now that 2.0 and 3.0 happened?

I know for me personally 94 and 97 and 95 are some of my favorite tours. But nothing brings me as much joy as this past summer. Yes it's cause I was at the shows. But it also has to do with the fact their playing is totally different. It's a totally different band
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

mistercharlie

Quote from: ph92 on November 21, 2017, 04:28:09 PM

Also, the only two shows I saw Fall 97 tour were Denver. Both nights were great. Then again, so was what I saw in Summer 97 and December 97. Not sure it seemed over the top exceptional at the time – just very f'n good.
I often wonder for you old timers. When you were seeing them in the years that are now known as "the best years" 94, 95, 97. Did you guys think they were slaying it? Was it how we see it now? Or is hindsight 20/20 now that 2.0 and 3.0 happened?

I know for me personally 94 and 97 and 95 are some of my favorite tours. But nothing brings me as much joy as this past summer. Yes it's cause I was at the shows. But it also has to do with the fact their playing is totally different. It's a totally different band
Oh, we knew in '95 that wonderful shit was happening. And every '97 show I caught had me leaving the venue thinking that I had just seen the new best show Phish has ever played.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

PIE-GUY

There were definitely nights we walked out talking about how we knew we'd look back and know we were there for some epic shit that people would be talking about for years and years. 12/30/93 comes to mind. Everyone I was with that night agreed it was one of those nights we'd tell kids like you about.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Marmar

20 years ago.....I was knee deep in cow funk, molli, and LSD up to my eyeballs.....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

emay

Quote from: Marmar on November 21, 2017, 06:04:42 PM
20 years ago.....I was knee deep in cow funk, molli, and LSD up to my eyeballs.....

ph92

Quote from: PIE-GUY on November 21, 2017, 04:44:05 PM
There were definitely nights we walked out talking about how we knew we'd look back and know we were there for some epic shit that people would be talking about for years and years. 12/30/93 comes to mind. Everyone I was with that night agreed it was one of those nights we'd tell kids like you about.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Story time?

That shit is hot for sure. Now I'm gonna relisten to it. Love the Post July-93 that super experimental push the limits jamming
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

anthrax

Quote from: ph92 on November 21, 2017, 04:28:09 PM

great question!  i feel like the heaters i saw back in the day couldn't be put into the context of phish history.  it was more about being blown away on that particular night, thinking this was the best band in the world, doing everything to get to the next show, and then going home and frantically searching for the tapes.  then relistening many many times and just enjoying the relistens.  it was such a different phish...every time.  93 is nothing like 94.  95 is nothing like 97.  it just kept morphing and changing.  when a band is on the rise, as they were until 12/31/99, you really don't look at it terms of history.  you're just along for the ride. 

mattstick

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: mattstick on November 21, 2017, 08:09:49 PM
Context came later on XLII90s

That's how I feel. I lived in the moment with no regard for what that may have meant to me in 20 years time.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.