News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

DA20mkII owners....

Started by Marmar, September 05, 2011, 10:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marmar

Anyone ever have a problem with the analog outs? The meters on the deck aren't showing any overs, yet if I monitor the output I'm getting overs all over the place....Is there some sort of calibration/adjustment that needs to be made? Or do I just need to buffer the analog outs with some sort of pre-amp or something.....?
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

jasonsobel

what are you running into?  to be honest, I never use the analog outs, because when I transfer DATs, I just take the analog signal to monitor/listen from my PMD-661.  but my guess is that the meters on the deck are accurate, and any distortion/overs you are hearing is because it is outputting a signal too hot for whatever is downstream.
sing me back home before I die

Superfreakie

Quote from: jasonsobel on September 05, 2011, 03:10:49 PM
I never use the analog outs, because when I transfer DATs, I just take the analog signal to monitor/listen from my PMD-661.

same here. Hey Mar, if your deck has hit the skids, I have one for you if you can wait a couple weeks. I need to transfer some tapes first.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Marmar

The deck is running into a 2ch studio amp.....it's weird as hell.....the digi out is fine, so everything that hits my computer is ok, just when I go to monitor the output on the analog outs my meters on the amp are going insane.....

It's a pretty wild swing too.....the deck is showing like -8db and my amp sees that as +2db.....This amp has no pre-amp, it just amplifies what signal you toss at it.....which is why I'm wondering if something on the deck has gone out of whack....

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

jasonsobel

Quote from: Marmar on September 05, 2011, 05:51:36 PM
The deck is running into a 2ch studio amp.....it's weird as hell.....the digi out is fine, so everything that hits my computer is ok, just when I go to monitor the output on the analog outs my meters on the amp are going insane.....

It's a pretty wild swing too.....the deck is showing like -8db and my amp sees that as +2db.....This amp has no pre-amp, it just amplifies what signal you toss at it.....which is why I'm wondering if something on the deck has gone out of whack....

well, it all depends on what the reference is of the downstream gear.  the -8dB on the deck is -8dBfs.  The RCA outputs on the back have a nominal output of -6dBV (according to the manual).  So without knowing what specific gear tour "2ch studio amp" is, we don't know what level it was designed to handle.  and of course, if you're not using the RCA outs on the back, but instead using the 1/4" inch headphone out on the front, then the solution is simple, because that output level is controlled by the knob just to the right of the 1/4" jack (so turn it down).
sing me back home before I die

Marmar

I actually thought about doing that Jason....

The amp is an Alesis RA150.....specs as follows:
# Crosstalk: -85dB, 1kHz
# Distortion: < 0.02% @ 4ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz
# Frequency Response: 10Hz - 70kHz +0, -3dB
# Height: 2 RU
# Input Sensitivity: +4dB for rated output
# Output offset: +/- 50 mV, Servo controlled
# Rated output: 4 ohms: 75 watts RMS per channel 8 ohms: 45 watts RMS per channel 8 ohms: 150 watts RMS, bridged mode
# Signal to Noise Ratio: >105dB
# Output offset: +/- 50 mV, Servo controlled
# Output Connectors: heavyduty dual-binding-posts, which can accept large diameter wire or 3/4" (19 mm) spaced dual banana plugs

So it looks like my swing in output is "normal" considering....looks like I'll either have to use the headphone jack (yuck!) or run it thru a mixer to compensate for the line levels differences....