News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Week4paug Ultimate Matchup Madness

Started by runawayjimbo, July 09, 2012, 01:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

susep

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 11, 2012, 09:12:02 PM

Oh yeah, and today's Wednesday and I have 2 people's picks so far. Just sayin'.

I'll send mine later tonight. 

VDB

Got back in the country (and to my music; I can't just do this from memory) yesterday and got started on my list. I'd like to at least do the top 8 of each.
Is this still Wombat?

khalpin

Started it...will finish it tomorrow whilst telecommuting.

VDB

Holy shit, there are too many great Tweezers. Can I nominate, like, 30?
Is this still Wombat?

runawayjimbo

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on July 12, 2012, 09:02:52 PM
Holy shit, there are too many great Tweezers. Can I nominate, like, 30?

I know, I had a tough time with that one too. If you think it deserves mention, go for it (I think I had like 10 on my list last time I checked). I mean, the more you (and anybody else) submits, the more likely we are to get a definitive top 4 from each. Otherwise we could end up with a whole lot of ties and I hadn't thought that far ahead to figure out what to do at that point. So feel free to send as many as your little homebrewing heart desires.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Hicks

Wait, I can send multiple picks per song in?   :crazy:
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Hicks on July 12, 2012, 09:53:56 PM

Definitely. The more the better. Sorry I wasn't clearer on that (although there was this:

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 09, 2012, 01:34:55 AM
You can send as many or as few versions per song as you'd like;

:wink:

Hicks

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 12, 2012, 10:00:07 PM
Quote from: Hicks on July 12, 2012, 09:53:56 PM

Definitely. The more the better. Sorry I wasn't clearer on that (although there was this:

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 09, 2012, 01:34:55 AM
You can send as many or as few versions per song as you'd like;

:wink:

Yes, fully aware that this is a RIF moment.   :-D
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

OK, I'm up to between 10-16 picks per song. I think I'll stop here.

Thanks for putting this together. I'm looking forward to making a playlist of all the finalists.
Is this still Wombat?

runawayjimbo

The lists are rolling in!

One more thing if you haven't submitted picks yet: for Mike's please indicate whether you are nominating Mike's only or a full Groove. Sorry, I probably made that one more complicated than it needed to be.

runawayjimbo

Couple things:

1) If you haven't submitted a list yet, please do so by 4pm EST tomorrow. I'll pull together the final bracket tomorrow night and get the tourney kicked off for Monday morning. Again, it doesn't have to be a full listing; if you just want to throw in a handful of versions from any or all of the songs, that's cool. The bracket is coming together nicely but there are a couple of songs that don't have a definitive #4 yet so these last couple of votes could decide which version gets in and which one goes home. And, on the subject of ties...

2) Here's what I came up with to break any deadlocks for the #4 spot (where necessary): I excluded my picks from the scores. If tomorrow evening there are still ties for the last couple of spots, my picks (which were made independently) will be used as the tiebreaker. If the tie still can't be broken (e.g., Bangor and Bozeman Tweezers are on the bubble (hypothetically) and both are on my list), I guess I'll just draw the last spot out of a hat or some shit. I don't have a good solution for this which is why every vote counts (see #1). If you have a better idea on how to break a tie, holla.

3) Can a mod please set up a child board like the other tournaments so I'm not clogging up the Random Conversation board with a bunch of polls?

Per VDB's request, I'll post the listing of all nominees tomorrow night. It's a pretty badass list. And there's a lot of heavy hitters that are gonna make it into the bracket so this should be interesting...

VDB

How geeky is it that I'm really looking forward to this tourney? Thanks J.
Is this still Wombat?

mbw

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on July 15, 2012, 05:28:57 PM
How geeky is it that I'm really looking forward to this tourney? Thanks J.

its not.  this is going to be sweet.
in typical slacker fashion i just submitted my list.
psyched for all the top shelf phish listening to come!   :crazy:

runawayjimbo

Alright, the final bracket is in. I'm gonna start posting the polls in the March Band Madness child board for now until a mod can organize it a little better.

Overall it went pretty smoothly. There was a clear top 4 for Stash, Bowie, Ghost & Gin while the other 4 were determined by the tiebreaker method I mentioned earlier. I think it worked out well in general; the only real exception would be the last spot for YEM, which went to 07-15-99 over 12-31-95. Both were on my list but I made an executive decision and gave the edge to 07-15 which is one of my top YEMs. Sorry to interject my own personal preference into it; if you'd like to file an appeal, send a PM to runawayjimbo at www.fuckoff.net.org.

I was gonna post sources to each of the matchups in the polls but (a) I'm exhausted and just want to get the polls up for now and (b) some of my sources for these blow so if people want to contribute to the cause and throw some links on each of the threads that would be awesome. If not, I assume everyone has access to all of theses versions because they are all on the syllabus.

One other suggestion: when you vote, try to take a minute and say why you voted for the version you did. The whole point of this is to foster discussion and rekindle our love for this band (for those of you who have forgotten; you know who you are!) so offering more than "I picked A" or "B, duh" is strongly encouraged. All polls will be open for a week and you can change your vote at any time while it's open.

Thanks to everyone who submitted their picks. I'll post the full list as well as some other stats tomorrow (including full disclosure on my picks) but for now let's get this shit started!

mistercharlie

I cast a few of the easier votes for me, and now I'm going to enjoy my day off and do some a/b comparisons to hammer out the rest of my votes.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens.