Author Topic: Gun Talk Re: have you heard about...?  (Read 24748 times)

Offline PIE-GUY

• Gamehendge
  • Something's happening.
    • My Shows
Re: Gun Talk Re: have you heard about...?
« Reply #630 on: July 31, 2016, 03:19:29 PM »
My ravings today, should you care to read them.

https://www.facebook.com/dave.anderso/posts/10154009986091645

On August 1, 1966 “mass shooting” first entered the American vocabulary after a troubled man gunned down 46 people from the observation deck of the University of Texas Tower, killing 14.
On August 1, 2016, exactly 50 years later, guns may legally be carried by civilians onto Texas college campuses, including UT, for the first time.
I struggle to express exactly how I feel about this stuff. I learned to shoot a rifle at age seven. I am not anti-gun, per se. I do not own, nor do I intend to buy, a gun. That’s my choice. But, I know and love (and absolutely trust) many gun owners. I don't want the government to take those guns away.
All that said, the "Don't tread on me,” pro-gun lobby that not only refuses to allow common sense gun laws to pass but actually pushes the envelope of where and when it is appropriate to allow guns is now treading on ME.
They argue that more guns in the hands of good guys will make us safer. The problem with the “good guy with a gun” argument is that it defies simple logic. I call it the “fragile vase on the top shelf” theory. Of course, kids are taught not to play ball in the house. Theoretically, that means the vase is safe. But the potential energy of a vase on the top shelf is greater than that of a similar vase on the bottom shelf. When the kids, inevitably, play ball in the house and knock over the vase, the damage is relative to where that vase sits. The bottom-shelf vase gets chipped while the top-shelf vase shatters into unrecognizable bits.
To put guns into an environment filled with people adds potential energy to the equation. It's really that simple. Fewer guns equals fewer gun deaths.
One of the common sense gun laws that persists in most states (there are idiotic exceptions) is the ban on guns in bars. Guns and alcohol don't mix. Why? Alcohol is the kids playing ball in the house. Fists are the bottom-shelf vase. Guns are the top-shelf vase. Common sense dictates that guns in bars have the potential to shatter lives unnecessarily.
College campuses have long been havens for young adults experimenting with alcohol and drugs. Students push the boundaries of alcohol especially because they have not yet learned what those boundaries are. This brings with it all sorts of issues like campus rape and drunk driving. Adding guns to that environment increases the potential for disaster.
But let's get back to the “mass shooting” problem. That's what the gun lobby wants you to think good guys with guns are going to protect you from, after all. I argue that the only thing that can protect us from senseless violence is LOVE. To a gun-totin’ disciple of the NRA that may sound crazy but it's the absolute truth.
What's my proof? I'll point to one example, but there are thousands of examples of love conquering hate all around the world. They don't often make headlines because “crisis” sells a lot more fast food than “crisis averted.”
My example is Antoinette Tuff, a compassionate, unarmed, citizen who kept her school from becoming another Sandy Hook Elementary. How? With love. She told the AK-47-wielding 20 year-old that she loved him and understood what he was going through. The incident ended without a single injury. Read about Antoinette here: http://cnn.it/2aCHvPQ.
The bottom line for me will always be:
Love over hate.
Compassion over violence.
Common sense over well-funded lobbies.
I don't want the government to take away guns or overwrite the 2nd Amendment. I want common sense gun laws. We don't need guns on campus. We don't need guns in bars. We don't need guns in our city hall (yes this is a thing in Texas). We don't need semi-automatic assault rifles designed to kill every person in the room in a matter of seconds.
It's common sense. It's logic.
Talk about it.
Write your lawmakers.
Vote!
Shine a light!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Offline rowjimmy

• Head Ache
  • 'Paug Admin
  • In the OTHER Band
  • No Questions. Just Rawk
    • Row Knows
« Reply #631 on: July 31, 2016, 03:42:49 PM »
Nicely put.

Offline slslbs

• Gamehendge
  • Let there be songs to fill the air
    • music list
« Reply #632 on: August 16, 2016, 06:32:09 AM »
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Offline VDB

• In the Band
there is no explanation
it's all inside your head

de gustibus non disputandum

Offline PIE-GUY

• Gamehendge
  • Something's happening.
    • My Shows
« Reply #635 on: August 17, 2016, 10:37:20 PM »
...and the campus protests begin in fine form!!

http://reason.com/blog/2016/08/15/dildos-for-gun-control

Texas Students Arm Themselves With Dildos to Protest Guns on Campus

Students at the University of Texas-Austin plan to protest the permission of guns on campus by loading their backpacks with large dildos. The "Cocks Not Glocks: Campus (DILDO) Carry," scheduled for August 24, was organized in opposition to a 2015 state law saying gun-owners over 21-years-old with concealed-carry permits need not ditch their arms when they step into a campus building. It took effect August 1, 2016.

"The State of Texas has decided that it is not at all obnoxious to allow deadly concealed weapons in classrooms," states the Cocks Not Glocks website. But "it does have strict rules about free sexual expression, to protect your innocence. You would receive a citation for taking a dildo to class before you would get in trouble for taking a gun to class."

The group is referring to a Texas obscenity statute that says "no person or organization will distribute or display on the campus any writing or visual image, or engage in any public performance, that is obscene." And, indeed, Texas law specifies that obscene devives include "a dildo or artificial vagina." It's not clear, however, that any student has ever actually been arrested for carrying a dildo; Google turns up no such tale.

In any event, banning dildos on campus is silly. But so is preventing people from exercising other legally-protected freedoms—like carrying a gun—just because they're near some hallowed halls of learning. Whither the calls for cocks and glocks?

For their part, pro-open carry students are planning a counter-protest to next week's Cocks Not Glocks event. A Facebook invite for the counter-protest asks "liberty-minded students" to "bring pro-2A clothing, flags, signs, etc."

On August 4, Students for Concealed Carry sent a letter to the Texas attorney general asking for relief from the University of Texas (UT) Austin and UT-San Antonio's decision to allow individual professors to institute no-gun policies for their own offices.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Offline alcoholandcoffeebeans

• In the Band
  • would rather yell and spit.
« Reply #636 on: August 18, 2016, 07:06:21 AM »
this and the Anti-bra movement are great.
honest to the point of recklessness...

♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

Offline Buffalo Budd

• Gamehendge
  • 'Looking for owls?' the young man asked.
« Reply #637 on: September 06, 2016, 02:07:42 PM »

Offline slslbs

• Gamehendge
  • Let there be songs to fill the air
    • music list
« Reply #638 on: November 14, 2016, 03:52:54 PM »
from an article published today in the J of American Medical Association

http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2582988

Prior to the stand your ground law, the mean monthly homicide rate in Florida was
0.49 deaths per 100 000 (mean monthly count, 81.93), and the rate of homicide by firearm
was 0.29 deaths per 100 000 (mean monthly count, 49.06). Both rates had an underlying
trend of 0.1% decrease per month. After accounting for underlying trends, these results
estimate that after the law took effect there was an abrupt and sustained increase in the
monthly homicide rate of 24.4%(relative risk [RR], 1.24; 95%CI, 1.16-1.33) and in the rate of
homicide by firearm of 31.6%(RR, 1.32; 95%CI, 1.21-1.44). No evidence of change was found
in the analyses of comparison states for either homicide (RR, 1.06; 95%CI, 0.98-1.13) or
homicide by firearm (RR, 1.08; 95%CI, 0.99-1.17). Furthermore, no changes were observed in
control outcomes such as suicide (RR, 0.99; 95%CI, 0.94-1.05) and suicide by firearm (RR,
0.98; 95%CI, 0.91-1.06) in Florida between 2005 and 2014.
CONCLUSIONS AND RELEVANCE The implementation of Florida’s stand your ground
self-defense law was associated with a significant increase in homicides and homicides by
firearm but no change in rates of suicide or suicide by firearm.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Offline gah

• Dans et hors du foyer, le temps tourne le temps, élastiques virages
  • Gamehendge
  • The circus is the place for me....
« Reply #639 on: June 14, 2017, 11:31:12 AM »
Shooting at GOP basbeall practice in Alexandria this morning....think that'll get things moving? not likely. Guns save lives!
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Offline rowjimmy

• Head Ache
  • 'Paug Admin
  • In the OTHER Band
    • Row Knows
« Reply #640 on: June 14, 2017, 11:34:42 AM »
I have friends who live in this neighborhood.
Scary stuff.

Shooting people is shitty.

Offline mattstick

• Server Team
  • Gamehendge
  • Some Rise Some Fall Some Climb
« Reply #641 on: June 14, 2017, 12:10:34 PM »
Meanwhile...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-is-a-weapon-of-mass-distraction/2017/06/13/a10f651e-506f-11e7-be25-3a519335381c_story.html

Monday was the first anniversary of the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando that left 49 dead. Saturday will be the second anniversary of the church shooting in Charleston, S.C., where nine were murdered at Bible study.

In between these two somber remembrances, House Republicans will be commemorating the occasion in their own way: They will begin work relaxing restrictions on firearm silencers — thereby making it easier for shooters to shoot without being noticed.

Classy.

To this injury, the legislators add insult with the bill’s name: a provision of the “Sportsmen’s Heritage and Recreational Enhancement Act” called the “Hearing Protection Act” — as if it were subsidizing earplugs. That’s like calling legislation that expands the availability of machine guns the “Carpal Tunnel Protection Act” because it spares would-be shooters the repetitive motion of trigger pulling.

Offline rowjimmy

• Head Ache
  • 'Paug Admin
  • In the OTHER Band
    • Row Knows
« Reply #642 on: June 14, 2017, 12:37:25 PM »
The hearing on silencers has been canceled for now.

Offline mattstick

• Server Team
  • Gamehendge
  • Some Rise Some Fall Some Climb
« Reply #643 on: June 14, 2017, 12:53:12 PM »
Yeah, probably better to hold that on one of the days of the week when there isn't a high profile shooting.

Offline gah

• Dans et hors du foyer, le temps tourne le temps, élastiques virages
  • Gamehendge
  • The circus is the place for me....
« Reply #644 on: June 14, 2017, 01:08:40 PM »
Meanwhile...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-is-a-weapon-of-mass-distraction/2017/06/13/a10f651e-506f-11e7-be25-3a519335381c_story.html

Monday was the first anniversary of the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando that left 49 dead. Saturday will be the second anniversary of the church shooting in Charleston, S.C., where nine were murdered at Bible study.

In between these two somber remembrances, House Republicans will be commemorating the occasion in their own way: They will begin work relaxing restrictions on firearm silencers — thereby making it easier for shooters to shoot without being noticed.

Classy.

To this injury, the legislators add insult with the bill’s name: a provision of the “Sportsmen’s Heritage and Recreational Enhancement Act” called the “Hearing Protection Act” — as if it were subsidizing earplugs. That’s like calling legislation that expands the availability of machine guns the “Carpal Tunnel Protection Act” because it spares would-be shooters the repetitive motion of trigger pulling.

Hilarious. I love the WaPo's aggressive nature lately.

But seriously, guns save lives.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.