News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Have iTunes/OSx Generate a Random show/album for you daily

Started by mattstick, July 29, 2012, 11:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

I've really streamlined this process, so I thought I'd share for those interested.

If your iTunes isn't well organized you're SOL... you'll need your genre tags to be refined nicely.  I have my Live Phish shows genre'd as Live Phish, GD stuff is Live Dead, etc.

Step 1: Create playlists

In iTunes goto File > New Smart Playlist.
Match the Following Rule: Genre is Live Phish
Name this Smart Playlist LIVEPHISH

Create another standard playlist called "DAILYPHISH"

Step 2: Automator

Launch Automator, select a new Calendar Alarm
Drag "Run AppleScript" into the workflow window
Paste the following AppleScript code into your new action (replace the existing text)

tell application "iTunes"
stop
delete tracks of playlist "DAILYPHISH"
end tell

tell application "iTunes"
set theAlbum to album of some track of playlist "LIVEPHISH"
set fileTracks to (file tracks of library playlist 1 whose album is theAlbum)
repeat with oneTrack in fileTracks
duplicate oneTrack to playlist "DAILYPHISH"
end repeat
end tell
end run

Save the Automator file and it will be added to your iCal named whatever you saved it as.

Step 3: iCal

Open iCal and find your new event, option Click the new iCal event to Get Info.
Set the time of day you want this playlist generated, and set it to Repeat: Every Day and End: Never

Fini.

VDB

Would you not be able to make the rule "Artist is:"? It will catch some studio material, sure, but not often.

Since I usually don't have the time or attention span (mostly time) to sit through complete shows too often, I usually just put my entire music library on shuffle when I want to be surprised.
Is this still Wombat?

mattstick

Yup, that would work... I also do this for other Genres of music, so I organize it by genre.