News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/15 - Long Beach Arena - Long Beach, CA -Post Show Discussion and Review

Started by whatapiper, August 16, 2012, 02:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Not one redeeming moment in that first set. Here's hoping the R&R delivers.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

RabeldyNugs

Quote from: runawayjimbo on August 16, 2012, 10:27:31 AM
Not one redeeming moment in that first set. Here's hoping the R&R delivers.

Agreed, 1st set was weak sauce or just standard...Cool it Down is different these days with the intro but I still love that tune.
I'm into Ghost now and the RnR def steps it up with some very nice sections in that larger than norm jam.
I'm dead sober right now, but when I try to read that Gumbo post, I swear to god it feels like I am tripping face.

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/RabeldyNugs

sophist

I thought they came out firing with the Suzy.  Good version.  The set lost momentum from Cities to Stash.  That Stash was near horrid imo.  Gin had a huge RAWK peak.  It sounded good despite being the standard way they play it now.  I skipped Quinn.  So no comment on that.  onto set II...
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

whatapiper

Well that 2nd set sure has me fired up for hitting the road tonight! 
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sophist

RnR. 

Good start.  Some Trey guitar flubage during the verses and chorus.  Good energy imo. 

~ 5 minutes Start of the jam is pretty standard.  Trey RAWKAGE. 

-Right off the bat, I feel like its the same shit of recycled guitar ideas.  This is suppose to be the springboard into the unknown.  Does it sound fine?  Sure.  -But the hammer-ons and pull off runs lead to chordal playing (~6:25)
-which leads to the same minor key shift (~7:20)
-whale call into ambiance
-Hello Plinko segue (~8:45)
-full on Plinko RAGE SEESH

~10:30 attempting to put a theme together

back into Plinko style

segue into ambiance/space (~11:46)

Page/Mike develop theme (~14:04).  This is cool.  could go somewhere. 

ambient Hood Esque jam (~15:30)

Trey seems oblivious to how to develop and maintain any sort of theme.  It's just noodling ideas randomly.  Almost impossible for the other guys to do anything with it. 

~17:33 descent out of ambiance?  getting kind of playful with the major chords

Oh Trey.  Horrid comp'd attempt at dissonance (~18:20)
The rest of the band doesn't take it. 

falling apart?  Divergence of ideas here. 

back into staccato ambiance

not working for me.  Trey trying to go somewhere.  Mis-fire imo.  The rest of the band misses out on this.  Regroup.  Try II.  Going somewhere? 

Never mind. 

~21:27 gets interesting again

dissonance

fade back into ambiance/space/noise

~23:55 theme developing, cool beat by fish

you can hear the segue being set for Ghost

--------->  Ghost

good segue. 

I'll report on the rest of the set once I finish it. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

VDB

I rather enjoyed the RnR. At any point from around 11:00-13:00 they could have let the jam fizzle out and moved on to something else; usually that's what's been happening when the beat drops off and things turn ambient. Instead they stuck through it and gave us another 14 minutes of improv. That's an encouraging sign, in my book.

I have to disagree with sophist's assessment of the sequence from 14:00-18:00. I thought the delicate complexity and whole-band egoless interaction was quite great. In this regard it reminded me Big Cypress' late-night jamming style.

From there it went into some spooky storage-jam sounds, never really latching onto a groove, but I give 'em points for exploring. Trey did some cool things with the wah peddle there.

Coming off the abnormally high quality of leg one and giving us this right off the bat, you gotta be excited about leg two.

But then, sophist thought the Gorge RnR was garbage, so what does he know.  :evil:
Is this still Wombat?

sophist

I really liked the Ghost.  Rest of the set was solid to me.  Overall, I'd label it a good set of 3.0.  I see a lot of improvement in their playing.  I think it could be a lot better.  But I'm excited at the prospect of them possibly trying to finally blow the door open and go somewhere musically. 

shoreline99

Quote from: sophist on August 16, 2012, 10:50:08 AM
I thought they came out firing with the Suzy.  Good version.  The set lost momentum from Cities to Stash.  That Stash was near horrid imo.  Gin had a huge RAWK peak.  It sounded good despite being the standard way they play it now.  I skipped Quinn.  So no comment on that.  onto set II...

Agreed on Suzy. Cities was standard, Stash was teh suck. Liked the Gin a lot, actually. Quinn took the Lovin' Cup generic rock cover spot in this show but wasn't terrible. I always like Guelah Papyrus, so sue me. On to set II...
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

VDB

The Ghost was indeed badass. The opted against the obvious Roggae opportunity and kind of abruptly tripped into LxL instead, but it turned out to be a decent little Limb, even if Trey and Fish could never agree on when it was ending.
Is this still Wombat?

Itsnotanexperience

All in all I think it was a great, 3.0, 2nd leg tour opener.     I enjoyed the first set other than the Stash jam......solid set.   Lots to smile about and obviously, room for improvement.    I like RnR a lot, but I may never listen to it again.     But the Ghost is one of the best I've heard in a while.

emay

Yeah this could possibly be the best opening show from any leg in 3.0.

Who would expect them to come out with a 24 min jam first night of tour?!  :crazy:
I give them mad props for going out on the first night and doin that.
Psyched to see how the rest of the leg shapes up...maybe they will slouch back into their normal 3.0 show/flow, or maybe they will give us a couple more phatty jams! :music:

danje

barnesy305

Marmar

Hopefully set 2 is an indication that the 200 song gimmick is done and over with and that now they will start being a lil more serious about makin some music.
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.