News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/25 - Lakewood Amphitheatre - Atlanta, GA - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by runawayjimbo, August 25, 2012, 10:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

Cool Chalkdust jam.  Setlist isn't "crazy" but this is an OK show.

antelope19

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 26, 2012, 03:04:18 PM
What's wrong with WTU?

Nothing is wrong with WTU. I like the song, but it's slow and where it was placed absolutely killed any energy in the place. The second set was dragging enough already
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

WhatstheUse?

There's just so many things wrong with me I don't even know where to start...
Bring in the dude!

antelope19

rowjimmy

WTU belongs in a hot summer show when you're not sure if it's the chemicals or the humidity that have made time go rubbery and your head expand to twice its normal diameter...

Hicks

Phish needs to listen to the Great Woods 99 WTU to remember how its supposed to be played.

It also wouldn't hurt if they listened to the preceding Piper. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

Itsnotanexperience

i really enjoyed most of this show.    some of the jams were extremely ambitious and will get more airplay for me this summer.    definitely a powerful, set close worthy antelope.   and having weak songs during the show has always been the case in my experience.   thats not enough to kill a show for me.    i left pretty happy to have spent a rare summer evening away from the family with one of my favorite bands, feeling like they are still worthy of my time and my money. maybe my expectations are lower after four tours of inconsistency and false hope for something more along the lines of 1.0 or even 2.0.   but i dont think so.    i think this band still delivers the goods a lot of the time.     and i think in many ways they are getting better.

birdman

Paug FTMFW!

Gumbo72203

Although, we ALL know that Phish will never have the balls of their former self until they drop Whats The Use? early in a first set. 

I mean, could you just IMAGINE....

Set 1:  Oh Kee Pa > Harry Hood -> 2001 > Antelope > Whats The Use? -> Squirming Coil -> My Left Toe -> Waves

"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

rowjimmy

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 27, 2012, 11:52:05 PM
Although, we ALL know that Phish will never have the balls of their former self until they drop Whats The Use? early in a first set. 

I mean, could you just IMAGINE....

Set 1:  Oh Kee Pa > Harry Hood -> 2001 > Antelope > Whats The Use? -> Squirming Coil -> My Left Toe -> Waves

Yes. This belief is exactly what's been itching at all of us so called haters AND apologists for years now.

:roll:

sophist

A pretty uninspiring first set.  The flow could be there, but it's not.  It seems super rushed to me.  Like they are cramming too much into it.  I'll admit, at the show, I was pretty distracted for this first set, and a lot of the second set.  None the less, I'm not impressed with the show upon relistening to it.  Like Oak Mountain, it leaves a lot to be desired.  A few glimpses of awesome piled on with a lot of shit.  Parts of the Golden Age are cool, and the Chalkdust jam is easily the highlight of the show.  I like the WTU, but it really did destroy what little momentum they had as the second set started.  I don't get it.  I blame the crowd for not getting fucking pumped about WTU and instead wanting some crunchy ass mahled out dance tune. 

meh. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

antelope19

Yep, your buddy McGuire commented that he'd never seen a crowd of that size be so quiet. It killed off what little energy was left/restored by the chalkdust. And then they went into............Joy. I can now say I've seen 20000 people in stunned silence.

As was said though, the antelope was raging.

sophist

Right. 

It was pretty stunning to see that affect on people.  It is what kills me with this band, how they have lost the ability to command the room, a skill they were the masters at for the longest time.  I just don't get it. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: sophist on August 30, 2012, 09:51:47 AM
Right. 

It was pretty stunning to see that affect on people.  It is what kills me with this band, how they have lost the ability to command the room, a skill they were the masters at for the longest time.  I just don't get it.

The crowd reaction to songs is very predictable at this point. I'm not one who sees or even listens to every show on the tour, but I notice it.

Without fail, the crowd falls silent when they start up Joy, Show of Life, Fuckerpants, Velvet Cheese, etc.

There is a brief cheer of 100% female voices when they start Bouncin' - and I do mean every time.

Crowd goes nuts when they start up Suzy.

These have never changed in 20 years.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul