News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

The Political Pot Thread

Started by Undermind, October 01, 2012, 10:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emay

didnt look too much into it but owners of those ten farms could be like RJ reynolds or one of those dudes, and if it was up to some like highest bidder then game over.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Hicks on November 04, 2015, 12:17:27 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on November 04, 2015, 12:07:19 PM
Quote from: Hicks on November 04, 2015, 11:55:33 AM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on November 04, 2015, 11:35:44 AM
Quote from: Hicks on November 04, 2015, 11:11:21 AM
As for what the alternative is, it's a sensible distribution system like we have in Oregon and Colorado.   

Settling for a terrible law is not progress IMO.

Yes, of course those models are superior. But they were not on the table in Ohio. What was on the table, while far from perfect, would have allowed people the freedom to partake in a toke without worrying about losing their job, their kids, etc. That's why LEAP and NORML (reluctantly) supported it. Even DPA and MPP refused to oppose it even while they failed to endorse.

In my mind, the most important change is depriving the gov't the power of imprisoning people for simple crime of smoking a joint. Once that is in place, then the people can fight for greater control over cultivation and distribution rights. But as long as it remains illegal, everybody loses.

Forrest from the trees, dudes.

Actually as long as it remains illegal Federally you can still lose your job and be arrested and prosecuted by the DEA.   

Sure, but of course you know the DEA is not going after the recreational user. And you also know that the overwhelming amount of simple possession arrests come from state law enforcement, not federal. I would imagine you are reaping the benefits of these increased freedoms living in a state taking a reasonable approach to marijuana policy.

That's true, but no one has won a lawsuit after being fired, at least yet, which is a significant risk that still exists.

Actually, getting fired was probably a bad example on my part: a private employer would have every right to require drug test as precondition of employment regardless of the laws in a given state. Not sure how they would handle public employees; state can't discriminate but you also wouldn't want a bus/subway driver high while on the job. I guess that would have to be included in legalization legislation? Any idea how it's handled in currently legalized states?

ETA: CO Supreme Court recently ruled Dish Network can fire even for off-duty use based on federal classification; I'm guessing this will be resolved by less companies including THC in their screens (once it's removed from schedule 1, of course), but that there will always be some employers/industries opposed.

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 04, 2015, 01:09:47 PM
This bill was one of the most cynical pieces of legislation I've ever seen.

"Look at all the money Colorado is making! Now, if only we could funnel that into a handful of rich people's pockets..."

Changing a bad law is one thing. Changing a constitutional amendment is, traditionally and by design a very different and significantly more difficult matter.
Perhaps not in Ohio, but almost everywhere else that I'm aware of.

Legalization can reasonably come about by many paths but enshrining a monopoly in the constitution is horrid and not good democracy.

It doesn't have the enormously high bar that's required of an amendment to the US Constitution. All that is needed is a ballot referendum supported a simple majority (they were able to get two such referendums on ballot this time with relative ease). It's true that a gov't granted cartel would be increasingly difficult to disrupt as it grew in power and influence. (hell, I live in PA where we basically have this for liquor sales; every 4 or 8 yrs candidates for governor promise to privatize it only to kick the can repeatedly until they are out of office) But again, if the alternative is prohibition, I'll take my chances with the cartel.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

sunrisevt

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 04, 2015, 01:09:47 PM
Quote from: Hicks on November 04, 2015, 12:17:27 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on November 04, 2015, 12:07:19 PM
Quote from: Hicks on November 04, 2015, 11:55:33 AM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on November 04, 2015, 11:35:44 AM
Quote from: Hicks on November 04, 2015, 11:11:21 AM
As for what the alternative is, it's a sensible distribution system like we have in Oregon and Colorado.   

Settling for a terrible law is not progress IMO.

Yes, of course those models are superior. But they were not on the table in Ohio. What was on the table, while far from perfect, would have allowed people the freedom to partake in a toke without worrying about losing their job, their kids, etc. That's why LEAP and NORML (reluctantly) supported it. Even DPA and MPP refused to oppose it even while they failed to endorse.

In my mind, the most important change is depriving the gov't the power of imprisoning people for simple crime of smoking a joint. Once that is in place, then the people can fight for greater control over cultivation and distribution rights. But as long as it remains illegal, everybody loses.

Forrest from the trees, dudes.

Actually as long as it remains illegal Federally you can still lose your job and be arrested and prosecuted by the DEA.   

Sure, but of course you know the DEA is not going after the recreational user. And you also know that the overwhelming amount of simple possession arrests come from state law enforcement, not federal. I would imagine you are reaping the benefits of these increased freedoms living in a state taking a reasonable approach to marijuana policy.

That's true, but no one has won a lawsuit after being fired, at least yet, which is a significant risk that still exists.

This bill was one of the most cynical pieces of legislation I've ever seen.

"Look at all the money Colorado is making! Now, if only we could funnel that into a handful of rich people's pockets..."

Changing a bad law is one thing. Changing a constitutional amendment is, traditionally and by design a very different and significantly more difficult matter.
Perhaps not in Ohio, but almost everywhere else that I'm aware of.

Legalization can reasonably come about by many paths but enshrining a monopoly in the constitution is horrid and not good democracy.

This, times at least a million.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

sunrisevt

Quote from: runawayjimbo on November 04, 2015, 02:00:08 PM
if the alternative is prohibition, I'll take my chances with the cartel.

Sounds like an invitation to an ass-raping from the law of unintended consequences.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: sunrisevt on November 04, 2015, 02:10:46 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on November 04, 2015, 02:00:08 PM
if the alternative is prohibition, I'll take my chances with the cartel.

Sounds like an invitation to an ass-raping from the law of unintended consequences.

As opposed to the ass-raping you could catch in prison?

Again, I am not saying I am in favor of how the law was written. It is antithetical to every fiber of my free market loving being. But look at what you are in favor of in opposition to the (deeply flawed) law: a steadfast continuation the War on Drugs in the state. Ending prohibition and the far-reaching consequences of it is a far more important development in my mind than whether or not Nick Lachey makes bank off it.

Hicks

It's only a matter of time for legalization to happen, since state laws don't really provide protection it is critical that the distribution piece of the puzzle is handled properly.   

Prohibition has been in place for 80 years now, we might as well take the time to end it the right way.   
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Hicks on November 04, 2015, 02:50:54 PM
It's only a matter of time for legalization to happen, since state laws don't really provide protection it is critical that the distribution piece of the puzzle is handled properly.   

Prohibition has been in place for 80 years now, we might as well take the time to end it the right way.

The right way is to end it. Distribution is fixable; allowing people's lives to be ruined in the meantime is not.

Every time I am driving around with something, I have at least some amount of worry in the back of my mind. It doesn't consume me, but it's always there somewhere. Mostly I think about what my life would be like if I was unable to be with my three daughters, even for a little bit. You don't have that concern. Now, are you seriously going to tell me state laws don't provide protection?

Federal legalization will not happen until there is critical mass of states that force their hand. The more states that move, the faster it will happen and the better off we will all be. Full stop.

Hicks

Well for my entire life small amounts were a just a violation in the state of Oregon.   

But I still sketched out when I saw a cop because the shit makes you paranoid man! 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

I find both sides of the Ohio argument to be very persuasive in their respective ways. As such I'm not quite sure which outcome I would have rooted for ahead of time; sitting here today I would have taken both joy and disappointment in the result either way.

Now I can only hope that a couple things are true:
1. Everyone views the failure of Issue 3 as a referendum on the terrible structure of it and not legalization itself
2. Immediate and positive lessons will be learned and a better attempt at this will be not far behind
Is this still Wombat?

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mattstick

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

runawayjimbo

BOOM! Another one down.

Quote@RegulateVermont
BREAKING: VT Senate passes marijuana bill 17-12 on third reading. On to the House! #vtpoli

Background from yesterday since it's still developing...

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/politics/2016/02/24/marijuana-legalization-advances-through-vt-senate/80869210/

birdman

Quote from: runawayjimbo on February 25, 2016, 04:00:25 PM
BOOM! Another one down.

Quote@RegulateVermont
BREAKING: VT Senate passes marijuana bill 17-12 on third reading. On to the House! #vtpoli

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/politics/2016/02/24/marijuana-legalization-advances-through-vt-senate/80869210/
While this is great news , the decision to not allow growing at home irks me a bit.
Paug FTMFW!

sunrisevt

Quote from: birdman on February 25, 2016, 06:11:54 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on February 25, 2016, 04:00:25 PM
BOOM! Another one down.

Quote@RegulateVermont

While this is great news , the decision to not allow growing at home irks me a bit.

I doubt that the home-grow ban will be part of a lasting status quo; it flies in the face of our liberty-loving ethos.