News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Cutting the Cable... Advice sought on getting rid of Cable TV

Started by twatts, May 06, 2013, 12:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbw

Quote from: PIE-GUY on October 04, 2017, 11:32:03 AM
Quote from: mbw on October 04, 2017, 10:44:23 AM
using the free trial of youtube tv.  you can stream live tv, there are a couple handfuls of good stations.
the coolest part is it is also an unlimited dvr.
the app is clean and very user friendly.
at $35.00 a month i am not sure i will keep it, all my paid streaming services are adding up to what my cable bill would be.

tv.youtube.com

$35 a month is nuts. I bought a TiVo OTA box for $300 and an antenna for $40ish. That's 10 months of YouTube and I have a dvr capturing HD broadcasts of every local channel. What's on YouTube that's not on my local networks, hulu, or Netflix?

well, hulu is 39 a month so there.  i guess not a whole lot different except you dont need an antenna which we all know how fun they are, or a fucking box, the storage is unlimited, you can watch where ever  the fuck you are on any fucking device... how is that for a difference motherfu.........

emay

my 1 year contract is up in March. I got a pretty good discount for the 110 channels with 25/mps internet 89 a month which comes out to 105 a month with fees.

Thinking about dumping Comcast in March and getting Century Link 45/mps for 55 bucks a month.

Hicks

Yeah I'm on an introductory deal with Century Link right now.  Comes out to $76/month for pretty decent cable (all Blazer and Ducks games) and 40 Mbps internet.

If you do sign up emay I think they have a referral program where we can both get gift cards.   

However, I will say they are the most incompetent company I have ever dealt with. Installation and the whole sign up process was basically a nightmare that took a couple months to sort out. 

Service is good though. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

emay

Quote from: Hicks on October 04, 2017, 12:40:37 PM
Yeah I'm on an introductory deal with Century Link right now.  Comes out to $76/month for pretty decent cable (all Blazer and Ducks games) and 40 Mbps internet.

If you do sign up emay I think they have a referral program where we can both get gift cards.   

However, I will say they are the most incompetent company I have ever dealt with. Installation and the whole sign up process was basically a nightmare that took a couple months to sort out. 

Service is good though.

Oh nice! Ill keep ya posted in a couple months Hicks.
Yeah I heard the customer service and company in general is terrible.
As long as the service is good and I dont have to call in all the time about outages or something, ill probably get it.

mistercharlie

Quote from: mbw on October 04, 2017, 11:45:50 AM
using the free trial of youtube tv.  you can stream live tv, there are a couple handfuls of good stations.
at $35.00 a month i am not sure i will keep it, all my paid streaming services are adding up to what my cable bill would be.

tv.youtube.com

$35 a month is nuts. I bought a TiVo OTA box for $300 and an antenna for $40ish. That's 10 months of YouTube and I have a dvr capturing HD broadcasts of every local channel. What's on YouTube that's not on my local networks, hulu, or Netflix?

well, hulu is 39 a month so there.  i guess not a whole lot different except you dont need an antenna which we all know how fun they are, or a fucking box, the storage is unlimited, you can watch where ever  the fuck you are on any fucking device... how is that for a difference motherfu.........

:-o
My Hulu is only $11.99 a month, what kind of add-ons do you have on yours?
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mbw

Quote from: mistercharlie on October 04, 2017, 05:57:08 PM

tv.youtube.com

I dont use hulu.  Got the comparable pricing off their website.
https://www.hulu.com/welcome

mistercharlie

Quote from: mbw on October 04, 2017, 06:14:31 PM

tv.youtube.com

$35 a month is nuts. I bought a TiVo OTA box for $300 and an antenna for $40ish. That’s 10 months of YouTube and I have a dvr capturing HD broadcasts of every local channel. What’s on YouTube that’s not on my local networks, hulu, or Netflix?

Ah, I didn't know Hulu offered a Live TV option for an extra $28 a month. I'm fine with watching everything the next day, so I'll keep my mid-level plan, I pay the extra $3 for no commercials. If we REALLY want to see something live, we have an HD antenna that I bought for $25-30 on Amazon when we first cut the cable.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

PIE-GUY

Quote from: mistercharlie on October 04, 2017, 08:15:36 PM
Quote from: mbw on October 04, 2017, 06:14:31 PM

tv.youtube.com

Ah, I didn't know Hulu offered a Live TV option for an extra $28 a month. I'm fine with watching everything the next day, so I'll keep my mid-level plan, I pay the extra $3 for no commercials. If we REALLY want to see something live, we have an HD antenna that I bought for $25-30 on Amazon when we first cut the cable.

Exactly - the Tivo box makes it one-touch to skip most commercials, too. I do the Hulu ad-free plus Netflix and HBO. I get everything I could ever want to see right now for about $30 a month.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mbw

For the record i have an antenna too, and do netflix and hbo.
Never had the best of luck with the antennas.  Like now I dont get CBS or NBC, but I get a shitload of weird channels I never heard of before.
Just putting out this option, nothing to lose with the free trial.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: mbw on October 04, 2017, 08:44:07 PM
For the record i have an antenna too, and do netflix and hbo.
Never had the best of luck with the antennas.  Like now I dont get CBS or NBC, but I get a shitload of weird channels I never heard of before.
Just putting out this option, nothing to lose with the free trial.

I started with a cheap indoor antenna and it sucked. Bought a cheap roof mount and attached it to the pole holding my now defunct directv dish using zip ties and just used the existing coax from the dish to the living room and I have the clearest HD picture I've ever seen. Probably better than directv.

mbw

So, I get hulu now with my sprint unlimited plan.
I thought you could watch anythimg next day, but I am not havimg that experience, ie thwy dont have the current seasons of stuff like Fargo or AHS.  How does hulu even work?

mistercharlie

Quote from: mbw on November 30, 2017, 07:14:46 PM
I thought you could watch anythimg next day, but I am not havimg that experience, ie thwy dont have the current seasons of stuff like Fargo or AHS.  How does hulu even work?
A lot of shows on network TV, sans CBS, are available the next day. Cable shows are released on Hulu a season at a time, a few months after the season airs. if you add HBO or Showtime, those are next day as well.

mehead

Quote from: mistercharlie on November 30, 2017, 08:50:58 PM
A lot of shows on network TV, sans CBS, are available the next day. Cable shows are released on Hulu a season at a time, a few months after the season airs. if you add HBO or Showtime, those are next day as well.

Does Hulu offer all seasons of a particular show or just the current / most recent one?
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

mbw

Quote from: mehead on December 13, 2017, 10:38:38 AM
Quote from: mistercharlie on November 30, 2017, 08:50:58 PM

Does Hulu offer all seasons of a particular show or just the current / most recent one?

It seems to be kinda hit or miss.  It is definitely not the most recent one, as they appear to wait until a new season comes out to release the old one like netflix.  So a 'few months' could potential turn into a year or more. The shows I watch have the older seasons as well, but I feel like I have come across shows that were missing some seasons.

PIE-GUY

Once you have a good work8ng antenna, I highly suggest a TiVo Roamio OTA. I got mine on sale for $300 and there's are no fees once you buy it. It's a great dvr for all the shit on broadcast networks.