News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Braves to move into new stadium in 2017

Started by VDB, November 11, 2013, 04:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

Meh. Is this threadworthy? What do we have, one brave fan on the board?  :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

Lifeboy

There should be a poll w/ the question "does anyone care?"

:wink:

totally kidding. I grew up watching the Braves since my grandpa was a YUGE Braves fan.

Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

sophist

1) I fucking hate baseball and the braves, so make that zero fans on this board. 

2) Turner field is actually a really nice stadium that was built right before the Olympics.  Fulton County Stadium was the shit hole. 

3) Please, yes.  Go to the fucking burbs.  So many Braves games cause enormous amounts of traffic.  This would be a blessing as Atlanta traffic sucks enough already

4) I don't really care either
(besides the traffic)
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

runawayjimbo

Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

sophist

Quote from: runawayjimbo on November 12, 2013, 09:11:05 AM
Cobb Country is providing $450M (~70%) of the money for the stadium. Good for Kasim Reed for telling them to fuck off.
Pretty much.  but, I also get it.  Fulton County (where Turner Field is located) has a lot of impoverished neighborhoods surrounding it, and committing that sum of money would be political suicide for Reed.  Cobb County is a suburban sprawl with lots of money.  Pretty much the latest area to have "white flight" syndrome for people fleeing the city for comfort of the suburbs.  My understanding, the hope with Turner Field was that by building it, gentrification would inevitably occur.  However, pretty much besides Grant Park (one of the adjacent neighborhoods to the stadium), it's been a steady pace of remaining impoverished and crime oriented.  The other main issue, Turner is pretty much isolated from the rest of downtown Atlanta.  You have to drive there.  There is no public transportation (at least no direct train line), which creates havoc for people from the suburbs getting to games. 

I once went to tailgate at a game, and then I left to go to Old Crow Medicine Show at the Tabernacle (which is just over a mile from Turner Field).  It was around 6pm in the evening.  I had to walk the whole way, couldn't find a cab to save my life.  I think the new location def provides more appeal for the main demographic of season ticket holders, which tends to be suburban families. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

VDB

Cobb County official on why residents won't get to vote on whether tax dollars will be used to support the new $672 million Braves stadium:

QuoteIt would have to be a special election, and that would cost taxpayers 300, 400 thousand dollars.

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Is this still Wombat?

mattstick

They should change the team name in 2017 too.

Lifeboy

Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

mattstick

It's my opinion that billion dollar organizations using Native American symbols and names is insensitive, inappropriate and definitely out of touch.

VDB

The Braves have made a big point of noting that the new stadium "will have an Atlanta address" and therefore the name of the team won't change. They are phrasing it this way because, no, the new stadium will not be within the Atlanta city limits but rather unincorporated Cobb County that just has an Atlanta mailing address.

Meanwhile, it turns out not everyone wants people from Atlanta to even attend the games. Cue the chairman of the Cobb County GOP:

QuoteIt is absolutely necessary the (transportation) solution is all about moving cars in and around Cobb and surrounding counties from our north and east where most Braves fans travel from, and not moving people into Cobb by rail from Atlanta.

Finally, some nice irony in the fact that the new stadium will have 2,500 fewer parking spots than the old one, since "inadequate number of parking spaces" was one of the problems cited with Turner Field.
Is this still Wombat?

Lifeboy

Quote from: mattstick on November 20, 2013, 01:12:33 PM

It's my opinion that billion dollar organizations using Native American symbols and names is insensitive, inappropriate and definitely out of touch.

I respect your opinion, but I am going to have to disagree. I live in an area heavily populated by Native Americans, and I have quite a bit of Cherokee in me. I've had this discussion with my brothers gf and her family (who are full-blood Indian) and several of my Native American friends, and we all agreed that to us, it's more of a "tribute", if you will, rather than insensitive in our personal opinion (obviously). I know there are plenty of Native Americans who look at it differently.

I just look at it as a tribute to an important part and figure of American history.

Lifeboy

That being said, I completely understand why others deem it inappropriate and insensitive. I can't think of (off the top of my head) another mascot that refers to an actual race of people.